• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

30 DAYS to Helthcare for ALL AMERICANS!!!!!!

I agree, and I'm gonna be pissed if I can't keep my inexpensive high deductible major medical plan ($5k deductible). So far, no one has told me that I can't. I would hope that if I can't, my insurance company would offer me an alternative that does meet minimum standards, at a price not much higher than I am currently paying.

However, for whatever reason, most people don't understand the value of those types of plans, and most people don't even know that they exist, or realize how inexpensive they are. I think thats part of the problem with the current system. Our government gives tax deductions to employers for providing insurance, so it becomes cheaper for the employer to provide insurance rather than just to pay employees more (who would then have to pay taxes on the raise, plus both the employer and the employee would have to pay SS/medicare taxes on the raise). As an alternative to Obamacare, I would much have rather seen the guberment remove the incentive for employer provided insurance, and to encourage high deductible major medical plans by making them tax deductible (which currently they are not, except for contributions to HSA's, and the insurance can't be paid out of the HSA).

Unless the coverage coincides with the coverage listed in the ACA, such as the $5000 deductible which does not, you're going to be SOL. Depending on when your plan renewal date is, you'll receive a letter telling you it does not conform and will not be renewed as on the renewal date. Hopefully whoever you have coverage with will offer up some options.

Depending on where your coverage comes from, individual or through an employer, chances are the premiums either are part of a pre-tax setup (Section 125) which reduces your gross taxable wages for the year, or you should be able to include the premiums as part of your medical expenses if you itemize your tax deductions. That's as of right now. I'm sure the ACA will address that small benefit too, if not already, then very soon. ;)

Your plan has merit. I especially like the 'normal' care out of pocket idea as its aim is to address COST!, which the current arrangement (pre/post PPACA) doesn't. I do feel that there could be an issue with the 'major medical' provider side of cost. Currently insurance companies negotiate reimbursements with the provider/institutions often in a competitive free market arrangement (between the various Ins. Cos.). With the gov't being the only reimbursement negotiator in 'major medical' the providers won't have the ability to 'shop for a better arrangement'. This potentially could reduce availability of various services as Medicaid has done of late.

Another may be (as I believe PPACA will do) is a two tier provider system on the MM side. Those who can afford it will get better care and those who can't will just get whatever is available. The system is currently employed this way and outside of socialized MEDICAL care I see no way around it. It seems some want to address this and perceive that medical care providers (read doctors) should just take whatever we (euphemistically) are willing to pay. I believe this is shortsighted and that this will either lead to a shortage of care providers, broadening of specific care providers duties (nurses/practitioners doing 'doctor's work') or less qualified doctors and the 'profit motive' will be reduced/eliminated. I mean, why be a surgeon if the only 'paymaster' is the gov't and compensation is dictated...?

I'm not suggesting the government dictating prices. I'd much prefer to see the private market determine prices than even insurance companies. If people have to pay for the bulk of the cost of their medical care, they will price shop (which we don't really have now), and prices will fall because medical care providers will have to compete for your business based upon price and quality, just like happens in every other industry.

Notice that I suggested that even above the $5000 deductable that there should be a first party payer component, even if it is just a few percent. This keeps the consumer involved in selecting how much medical care they get, and from whom, because even a few percent of a $100,000 medical bill is worth the effort to price shop.

The doctor that I now go to has her prices posted on her website and on the wall in the waiting room. There are never any price surprises. If I can't afford the "fluff" treatment, like the B-12 shot, or to have the recommended once a year EKG, then I skip those procedures until another month.

Even with our current system, most doctors use "superbills" to compute your total bill, and the prices for each procedure are sometimes preprinted on the superbill. But most people aren't aware of the costs until they get the bill, and even then they really don't care because their insurance covers all but the $20 copay.

When I go to get my script renewed for bloodpressure medication, there is really no point at all in me seeing a MD, when a PA or a registered nurse can renew that script for me. One of the things that being able to price shop for medical care would do would be to stop wasting the time of MDs, and to shift procedures and care that could be given by a lower qualified (and thus less expensive) individual to the most appropriate and cost efficient care provider. Price shopping can improve the efficiency of care without reducing the quality of care.

As far as the concept that insurance companies save individuals money by negotiating lower prices, thats really bs. Before I changed doctors, I had noticed that our old doc was charging my wife less than I was being charged. So on my next visit, I told them that I no longer had insurance, and I received a 30% price discount. I asked why, and it was explained to me that it was the same discount that insurance companies get. So essentially, the doctor was just jacking up the price in order to give discounts, very much the same way that the jewelery store at the mall does.

The best party to negotiate price is always going to be the individual, and the easiest way for them to do that is simply by price shopping, just the same way we do for gas, or for a house, or anything else that we buy. We certainly don't need the guberment to do that for us.

Unless the coverage coincides with the coverage listed in the ACA, such as the $5000 deductible which does not, you're going to be SOL. Depending on when your plan renewal date is, you'll receive a letter telling you it does not conform and will not be renewed as on the renewal date. Hopefully whoever you have coverage with will offer up some options.

$5,000 deductibles are fairly common for the bronze plans under the ACA.

Back
Top Bottom