• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

30 Days Till Spending Authorization Expires

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
FY2013 ends Oct 1. There have been no spending bills passed for FY2014. Which means the govt is not authorized to spend anything beyond mandatory spending programs after this date. Normally congress would have passed a budget in April as is required by law, but they didn't. The President submitted a budget, the House passed a budget, the Senate passed a budget, and then both ignored each other. The President has been busy playing golf and campaigning, congress has taken off on a 5 week vacation. They are scheduled to meet for a few days in September, and they also need to address the debt ceiling since no one is willing to balance the budget, much less pass one.

So the question is, why do you guys keep voting for these people?

In search of a compromise, a group of Senate Republicans are scheduled to meet with top White House officials next Thursday, the first such meeting since Aug. 1, when negotiators promised that staff and high-level talks would continue throughout the month.

“Nothing has occurred since that time, nothing whatsoever,” said Senator Bob Corker, Republican of Tennessee and one of the eight lawmakers involved in the talks.

Given the lack of progress, those involved say Speaker John A. Boehner will need to play a crucial role in finding an agreement. House Republican leaders consulted with their rank and file via a conference call Thursday night to sound out their ideas to avoid a fiscal crisis as early as Oct. 1. Mr. Boehner pressed gingerly for a straight short-term extension of funds to avoid an immediate government shutdown in October, but faced immediate opposition from conservatives demanding that funds be stripped from the health care law. One thought is to use a short-term spending bill to keep the government running into November, when Congress must raise the government’s statutory borrowing limit. That way, with both a debt default and government shutdown looming, Republicans could apply maximum pressure on the White House to either agree to scuttle President Obama’s health care law or accept significant changes in programs like Medicare and Social Security.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/u...al-are-rapidly-fading.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

Just another day in paradise. Meanwhile...after the furlough has ended the annual funds dump has occurred and government agencies and military installations that didnt have enough to pay their civilian employees have suddenly been blessed with billions of dollars in end of year fallout money. Everyone that is shocked and surprised...raise your hand.

There is none so blind as he who will not see. (I read that somewhere, a long time ago...)

Because those malfeasant scumbag assholes hold all the money and power, using it to disburse and disorganize any opposition to their plutocracy. The status quo is quick to decapitate any real competition (tea party, occupy wallstreet, etc.), and let the political machinery reabsorb the now undirected discontentment. Honest assessment and discussion of problems is discouraged and the pressure of our disapproval is shepherded towards safely unproductive partisan bickering.

FY2013 ends Oct 1. There have been no spending bills passed for FY2014. Which means the govt is not authorized to spend anything beyond mandatory spending programs after this date. Normally congress would have passed a budget in April as is required by law, but they didn't. The President submitted a budget, the House passed a budget, the Senate passed a budget, and then both ignored each other. The President has been busy playing golf and campaigning, congress has taken off on a 5 week vacation. They are scheduled to meet for a few days in September, and they also need to address the debt ceiling since no one is willing to balance the budget, much less pass one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/u...al-are-rapidly-fading.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

For the same reason you do, we are only offered useless tools purchased by corporate interests and the church.

The entire thing is so corrupted at this point that the people are just sick of it.

It's like having a latrine that is overflowing.

My gutless and corrupt Congressman is not having any town halls during this vacation. He hasn't responded to my email that I sent him demanding that he "eat his own cooking" and sponsor a bill that no Federal employee could be offered any insurance that is not Obamacare.

Andre Carson. The Congressional Representative for my area. Won't meet. Won't respond. What a guy! The foundation of our current Democracy.

Did you vote for your congressman?

(BTW - I do hope your realize that you can't "just balance the budget" ... no one running in the last presidential election, including Paul Ryan, promised a balanced budget inside this decade)

Because those malfeasant scumbag assholes hold all the money and power, using it to disburse and disorganize any opposition to their plutocracy. The status quo is quick to decapitate any real competition (tea party, occupy wallstreet, etc.), and let the political machinery reabsorb the now undirected discontentment. Honest assessment and discussion of problems is discouraged and the pressure of our disapproval is shepherded towards safely unproductive partisan bickering.

That's why you vote for them? That doesn't make sense.

For the same reason you do, we are only offered useless tools purchased by corporate interests and the church.

I don't vote for them. I did not vote for a single person currently in office.

Did you vote for your congressman?

(BTW - I do hope your realize that you can't "just balance the budget" ... no one running in the last presidential election, including Paul Ryan, promised a balanced budget inside this decade)

No, I didn't. And yes we can balance the budget. We choose not to.

No, I didn't. And yes we can balance the budget. We choose not to.

Good, because most people just hate the other guy's congressman. And, no, you can not balance the budget in short order. No serious economist nor serious politician believes it can be done.

I don't vote for them. I did not vote for a single person currently in office.

Despite what you may have heard, not voting does not actually stop them from taking office or offer up an acceptable alternative

Good, because most people just hate the other guy's congressman. And, no, you can not balance the budget in short order. No serious economist nor serious politician believes it can be done.

Youre arguing that its not realistic, not that its not possible. Balancing the budget is as simple as cutting 700bn from the FY2014 budget. An 18% across the board cut would accomplish that.

Despite what you may have heard, not voting does not actually stop them from taking office or offer up an acceptable alternative
And apparently neither does voting for their opponent.

Of course you can. What we can't do overnight is get rid of the towering debt we've incurred, but balance a budget? Spend no more than we take in? We could start doing that right now if we wanted to.

W/r to politicians, they're the reason budgets 1) don't get passed and 2) aren't followed when passed. The reason has nothing to do with how "serious" they are either. It has to do with one thing and one thing only: irresponsibility. Politicians live and die off money. No "serious" politician will ever fiscally constrain themselves to a budget if they don't have to - and we have a hundred years of proof of that point.

Want to balance a budget? It's easy:
Step 1) Pass a [balanced] budget.
Step 2) Adhere to the budget. Spend no more than we take in.

Of course you can. What we can't do overnight is get rid of the towering debt we've incurred, but balance a budget? Spend no more than we take in? We could start doing that right now if we wanted to.

W/r to politicians, they're the reason budgets 1) don't get passed and 2) aren't followed when passed. The reason has nothing to do with how "serious" they are either. It has to do with one thing and one thing only: irresponsibility. Politicians live and die off money. No "serious" politician will ever fiscally constrain themselves to a budget if they don't have to - and we have a hundred years of proof of that point.

Want to balance a budget? It's easy:
Step 1) Pass a [balanced] budget.
Step 2) Adhere to the budget. Spend no more than we take in.

Youre arguing that its not realistic, not that its not possible. Balancing the budget is as simple as cutting 700bn from the FY2014 budget. An 18% across the board cut would accomplish that.

Sorry, but each of these are very naive views of the federal budget. It is a ton more complex than that. The following video is a pretty good explanation of the problem. It and of itself has some issues, but its a good overview

United States Budget Dilemma.wmv - YouTube

Please note when the video was made, the expected federal tax receipts were $2.5T. They are now expected to be $2.7T.

Tax receipts on pace to hit record $2.7T this year, congressional report says | Fox News

One of the best ways to balance the budget is via revenue enhancement that comes with a stronger economy.

There are no serious proposals to balance the budget in less than 5 years. The Heritage Foundation published a proposal on how it can be done in 10 years.....

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/02/01/morning-bell-how-to-balance-the-budget-in-10-years/

Last edited:
Sorry, but each of these are very naive views of the federal budget. It is a ton more complex than that. The following video is a pretty good explanation of the problem. It and of itself has some issues, but its a good overview

Please note when the video was made, the expected federal tax receipts were $2.5T. They are now expected to be $2.7T.

Tax receipts on pace to hit record $2.7T this year, congressional report says | Fox News

One of the best ways to balance the budget is via revenue enhancement that comes with a stronger economy.

There are no serious proposals to balance the budget in less than 5 years. The Heritage Foundation published a proposal on how it can be done in 10 years.....

How to Balance the Budget in 10 Years

No apology necessary. Youre still arguing against the political practicality. However, there is no technical reason that it cant be done. I accept that it never will be done until you stop voting for the same people.

Here we go again.... :roll:

So how will we bomb Syria?

How to Balance the Budget in 10 Years
There's nothing naive about what it takes to balance a budget. The only problem - the ONLY problem that stands in the way is the will to do it. Period. Don't confuse "complex" with "difficult."

Yes our spending is complex, very complex, perhaps impossibly complex - and that's the problem. There are too many "buts" our politicians feel they need to address in the process, too many exemptions ("Let's cut, but we can't cut that, or that, or that...."), too many "vital interests" that must continue being funded - and that's the difficulty. No one wants to be the one to say "no!" to their constituents who want money. Politicians aren't wired to do that. They're wired to say "yes!" because that's what gets them re-elected.

No. Balancing a budget is a very simple concept. Making it happen is the difficulty.

I think, and I am speaking for someone else, that he meant the people he voted for were not elected. Therefore he did not vote for a single person currently in office. I sympathize.

I think, and I am speaking for someone else, that he meant the people he voted for were not elected. Therefore he did not vote for a single person currently in office. I sympathize.

In addition, I didn't vote for anyone for federal office. I don't support the US govt.

Back
Top Bottom