• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

30 Abortions Threads.....Nothing about inflation

That’s your problem, it’s a BS comparison.

Abortion vs inflation?

You are surprised people feel more strongly regarding forced pregnancy as opposed to an extra $0.50 for their McMeal?

Of course it’s more complicated than that, but why in the world would you compare the two?

Abortion as an issue is showing to be a great deal less important than inflation. You could dispute that, but that is what I am reading.

Feel Free.

Your third line.....you missed the claim. The fact is that that people don't feel more strongly than what you claim.

When you want to sort it out let me know.

Right now, this forum is hot with abortion threads while most of the lefties would prefer to avoid the subject of inflation as it is working against them.

Let me know if you disagree with that.

Abortion as an issue is showing to be a great deal less important than inflation. You could dispute that, but that is what I am reading.

Feel Free.

Your third line.....you missed the claim. The fact is that that people don't feel more strongly than what you claim.

When you want to sort it out let me know.

Right now, this forum is hot with abortion threads while most of the lefties would prefer to avoid the subject of inflation as it is working against them.

Let me know if you disagree with that.
I’m sure it’s no big deal unless you’re actually the one pregnant, hiker *guy*

Sorry your grocery bill sucks. It has nothing to do with abortion.

Yes, it's still with us.

And will be a bigger issue, by far, than abortion as polling is already showing.

The board has a bunch of abortion threads on the front page, but nothing on what people are really concerned about.

So here you go....

Dashing hopes inflation was starting to level off, the Labor Department reported that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) in May grew by its highest level since 1981.

CPI rose 8.6% in the month, up from 8.3% in April, exceeding the 8.3% gain economists were expecting. On a month-over-month basis, CPI rose 1% compared with April, topping expectations for a 0.7% gain.

The May CPI data is only the latest indicator suggesting that inflation remains elevated and has not yet peaked in the U.S. The S&P 500 initially dropped by nearly 1% on Friday morning following the disappointing May inflation report.

This could mean another interest rate hike and that would just about assure a recession.
Human rights > my wallet.

I’m sure it’s no big deal unless you’re actually the one pregnant, hiker *guy*

Sorry your grocery bill sucks. It has nothing to do with abortion.

And I see you are trying to argue something from a premise that was never put forth.

I am only stating what the data says.

That you think it should say something different does not matter.

My point being that more people are concerned about their grocery bill than abortion. If you don't believe that, please provide the data.

Otherwise, feel free to start your own thread regarding whatever it is you are trying to argue.

Yes, it's still with us.

And will be a bigger issue, by far, than abortion as polling is already showing.

The board has a bunch of abortion threads on the front page, but nothing on what people are really concerned about.

The Left want people to forget about money issues, food costs, rent, savings losing value. etc.

They want you to focus on 01/06, abortion, guns, racism, misogyny, how horrible America is...anything but what people really care about.

So here you go....

Dashing hopes inflation was starting to level off, the Labor Department reported that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) in May grew by its highest level since 1981.

CPI rose 8.6% in the month, up from 8.3% in April, exceeding the 8.3% gain economists were expecting. On a month-over-month basis, CPI rose 1% compared with April, topping expectations for a 0.7% gain.

The May CPI data is only the latest indicator suggesting that inflation remains elevated and has not yet peaked in the U.S. The S&P 500 initially dropped by nearly 1% on Friday morning following the disappointing May inflation report.

This could mean another interest rate hike and that would just about assure a recession.

Well I've already seen arguments that a "recession is good." To be honest, I don't understand the arguments.

I just know I intend to retire before the mid-terms and I am concerned about covering my future living expenses on my pensions savings, and SS.

OP. @HikerGuy83. I appreciate the effort, but the article is three weeks old reporting May data. Newsworthy, okay, but it's been reported. Not really germane to a general political discussion, imo. What is there really to discuss? Inflation is up a couple ticks. Hasn't peaked yet. Really sucks. Here's Judy with the weather.

As to priorities, and to @Perotista, here's a poll from yesterday.

The new poll, which included interviews conducted before and after the Supreme Court’s ruling, finds prioritization of the issues grew sharply following the decision...

...According to the poll, the percentage of women prioritizing abortion or women’s rights was already higher in interviews conducted before the ruling than six months ago, 21% vs. 9% in December; it swelled to 37% in the days after. Mentions grew sharply among men, too, but the growth was concentrated in the wake of the ruling, from 6% in interviews conducted before to 21% after.

Republicans shouldn't yet be counting their chickens. Anti-abortion voters have always prioritized the issue, many as one-issue voters. Pro-choice voters are energized more than ever, since the decision.

Last edited:
Yes, and I am sure you'll vote that way.

Data says, most won't.

Do you disagree.
I do.

"It's the economy, stupid!"

People vote for their wallets, but our economic troubles are not the result of any one political party.

Restricting our human rights, though...why, that most certainly is.

Yes, it's still with us.

So here you go....

LOL!
HikerGuy83, I lived with inflation. I knew inflation. Inflation was a friend of mine, compared to this Court's decisions. HikerGuy83, you're no judge of which is worse. (Prolonged shouts and applause.) What has to be done in a situation like that is to call in the—

Woodruff: (Admonishing applauders) Please, please, once again you are only taking time away from your own candidate.

HikerGuy83: That was really uncalled for, post. (Shouts and applause.)

post: You are the one that was making the comparison, HikerGuy83—and I'm one who knew inflation well. And frankly I think you are so far apart in the objectives you choose for your country that I did not think the comparison was well-taken.

OP. @HikerGuy83. I appreciate the effort, but the article is three weeks old reporting May data. Newsworthy, okay, but it's been reported. Not really germane to a general political discussion, imo. What is there really to discuss? Inflation is up a couple ticks. Hasn't peaked yet. Really sucks. Here's Judy with the weather.

The new poll, which included interviews conducted before and after the Supreme Court’s ruling, finds prioritization of the issues grew sharply following the decision...

...According to the poll, the percentage of women prioritizing abortion or women’s rights was already higher in interviews conducted before the ruling than six months ago, 21% vs. 9% in December; it swelled to 37% in the days after. Mentions grew sharply among men, too, but the growth was concentrated in the wake of the ruling, from 6% in interviews conducted before to 21% after.

Republicans shouldn't yet be counting their chickens.

I am all ears to a shift in winds. However, that polling you describe, in no way compares the relative importance of the two.

The issue is becoming bigger amongst democrats who already have it as a high priority.

I am sure the GOP is counting their chickens, and as you say they should not be.

Aside; Why are they letting Hershal Walker even speak ?????

What's worse is that they still have no message. I am a conservative. I am totally disgusted with the GOP.

But the fact is that inflation, which some thought was abating, isn't. And if the fed hikes again....Biden and dems are screwed.

I do.

"It's the economy, stupid!"

People vote for their wallets, but our economic troubles are not the result of any one political party.

Restricting our human rights, though...why, that most certainly is.

Make sure you put that on a billboard.

Your issue is that you are in power.

Your fault or not, it's gonna hang around your neck like a 300# rock.

LOL!
HikerGuy83, I lived with inflation. I knew inflation. Inflation was a friend of mine, compared to this Court's decisions. HikerGuy83, you're no judge of which is worse. (Prolonged shouts and applause.) What has to be done in a situation like that is to call in the—

Woodruff: (Admonishing applauders) Please, please, once again you are only taking time away from your own candidate.

HikerGuy83: That was really uncalled for, post. (Shouts and applause.)

post: You are the one that was making the comparison, HikerGuy83—and I'm one who knew inflation well. And frankly I think you are so far apart in the objectives you choose for your country that I did not think the comparison was well-taken.

Can anyone translate this for me ?

The Left want people to forget about money issues, food costs, rent, savings losing value. etc.

It's the messaging of the left (and right) that won't allow for anything that does not support the white hat/black hat narrative.

Of course the left needs to play this down. The potential energy for this recent surge of inflation had been building for years and really increased with COVID. They wanted power and guess what ? They get what comes with it.
They want you to focus on 01/06, abortion, guns, racism, misogyny, how horrible America is...anything but what people really care about.

Yes, but the right is the group that wanted to "topple the government" (pretty inept effort if you ask me). And you have people like @CaughtInThe who are so beholden to their ideology that they openly support shunning or disowning family who believe different than they do. Hope the government they get is worth it to them.

They won't have the press this time. That's really going to hurt.

Unless, the GOP somehow manages to put Trump back on the ticket. The left has to be praying for that to happen. It's their only hope.

Well I've already seen arguments that a "recession is good." To be honest, I don't understand the arguments.

It's a jealous shot by the have nots. I am certainly one who is concerned about the separation of certain things like income. But a recession is never good.

I just know I intend to retire before the mid-terms and I am concerned about covering my future living expenses on my pensions savings, and SS.

Many are.

I wish you the best.

Congratulations on retiring.

Republicans shouldn't yet be counting their chickens. Anti-abortion voters have always prioritized the issue, many as one-issue voters. Pro-choice voters are energized more than ever, since the decision.
I’m not looking at abortion polls. What I’m concentrating on is the polls on who folks plan on voting for in November. I listed the pre-overturning numbers, 23 June for all to compare with the post-overturning numbers, today, 2 July. I’m election focused, I don’t care what people think of the ruling, I’m paying strict attention to who they plan on voting for. One can be pro-choice, oppose the ruling, but if one still votes GOP in November, I’d classify that as soft support or should I say soft opposition to the ruling. An example of soft opposition is someone who says, “I’d rather abortion be legal, but it doesn’t make my top 5 list of issues that I use to decide who to vote for in the midterms.” Until the numbers start to shift toward the democrats, I’d say a lot of those you point out are soft opposers. Here’s the numbers once again. You can have 90% of all Americans opposing the SCOTUS ruling overturning ROE. But if they’re not voting Democratic in November, that's soft opposition. If they’re not changing who they plan on voting for, the overturning of ROE isn’t all that important to them. The hard-core opposition comes from Democrats who’ll be voting democratic. Hard core pro-choicers are in my opinion already Democratic voters.

23 June 2022 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 44.3-41.5, Republican, 538 averages 44.8-42.5 Republican

2 July 2022 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 45.3-43.3, Republican, 538 averages 44.8-42.8 Republican

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/generic-ballot/

The President’s overall job performance numbers.

23 June 2022 Biden’s overall job performance, 39.6% approve, 55.8% disapprove

2 July 2022 Biden’s overall job performance, 38.4% approve, 56.9% disapprove

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

Most important to the midterms is the number of competitive, switchable, at risk house seats and the senate’s pure tossup states beginning 23 June 2022 to see the effect of the overturning of ROE.

23 June – House 40 Democratic seats, 13 Republican seats fell into the at-risk category. A probable gain of 18-20 seats for the Republicans. Senate – 4 pure tossups, 3 democratic held seats, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, 1 Republican held seats, Wisconsin. 2 lean Democratic seats, Democratic held New Hampshire and Republican held Pennsylvania, 1 lean Republican seat, Republican held North Carolina. Probable net gain of 1 seat for the Democrats, Pennsylvania.

2 July – House 40 Democratic seats, 14 Republican seats fell into the at-risk category. A probable gain of 18-20 seats for the Republicans. Senate – 4 pure tossups, 3 democratic held seats, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, 1 Republican held seats, Wisconsin. 2 lean Democratic seats, Democratic held New Hampshire and Republican held Pennsylvania, 1 lean Republican seat, Republican held North Carolina. Probable net gain of 1 seat for the Democrats, Pennsylvania.

So what magic wand would you wave to reduce inflation? Not a fan of the free market?
Eliminate ALL Federal government safety net spending programs.
Much more so than RvW, it should be a State issue.
Other things, like the Federal minimum wage also should never have been created. At MOST, the Federal government should have created a Federal minimum wage law, requiring State governments to set a State wide or area based minimum wage to be used within their State.
Massive decentralization of government would begin to solve most all issues, though not without some necessary suffering by a great many.

Eliminate ALL Federal government safety net spending programs.
Much more so than RvW, it should be a State issue.
Other things, like the Federal minimum wage also should never have been created. At MOST, the Federal government should have created a Federal minimum wage law, requiring State governments to set a State wide or area based minimum wage to be used within their State.
Massive decentralization of government would begin to solve most all issues, though not without some necessary suffering by a great many.

Yes, the left has extolled the continual growth of the Federal Government.

For some reason, they think that it is a good thing.

Now, they are dealing with the results.

The stakes for losing at the federal level are just far to high for entities such as multi-national corporations.

And so, money talks.

And people get pushed aside.

And the left has what it wants...concentrated power....except when it works against them.

SCOTUS's abortion ruling is only a big issue if you live in the RED or DEEP RED states. It means nothing if you live in BLUE states.
Same for inflation, it's not much of an issue if government is diminishing its effect by increasing social program, safety net spending which keeps the economy growing, tax revenues from diminishing precipitously, and offsetting the debt increase as a result of the diminishing value of the currency.

Same for inflation, it's not much of an issue if government is diminishing its effect by increasing social program, safety net spending which keeps the economy growing, tax revenues from diminishing precipitously, and offsetting the debt increase as a result of the diminishing value of the currency.

Biden was losing independents.

I think Roe blows over and they continue to desert him.

I hope anyway.

Only problem: The GOP sits on the other side with it's head up it's rear end. We are sorely lacking good leadership.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. you lose me when you start saying social program, blah blah blah ....

Biden was losing independents.

I think Roe blows over and the continue to desert him.

I hope anyway.

Only problem: The GOP sits on the other side with it's head up it's rear end. We are sorely lacking good leadership.
I see no way government is going to resolve any monetary issue without repealing the 16th and 17th amendments, which would return power of the purse to the individual States and the voters within each State.

I see no way government is going to resolve any monetary issue without repealing the 16th and 17th amendments, which would return power of the purse to the individual States and the voters within each State.

I doubt the left or right has anyone who can spell monetary....at the federal level.

A total clown show.

I am so sorry. you lose me when you start saying social program, blah blah blah ....
Think Federal government, when I speak about social program spending.
But currently, the vast majority of us are a part of the problem either willingly or wantonly leaving us to choose between being a part of the problem or a part of the solution. The choice is yours.

Think Federal government, when I speak about social program spending.
But currently, the vast majority of us are a part of the problem either willingly or wantonly leaving us to choose between being a part of the problem or a part of the solution. The choice is yours.
Sry, only the gullible believe this kind of B.S. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Can you please be a little more clear on what you are calling B.S. ?

It would be helpful to the discussion.

Until you're able/willing to see a problem exists, you're unable/unwilling to seek a solution, thereby remain a part of the problem

Back
Top Bottom