• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3 Constitution Candidates have been Presented for Public Review

Hmm...I would be hesitant about extending terms while eliminating the chance for re-election. What you're proposing is a perfect cash grab scenario. Once they get in, they have no incentive against acting purely in their own interest, given that they can't get reelected anyway, and a long window of time within which to respond... Seems like inviting disaster...

So you think that a two year term is not wasteful ?
A House congressman will spend half their time fighting elections

And senators get 6 years, where's the logic there ?

IMO, House congressmen, senators and the president/vice-president should all serve 4 (or maybe 5) years.

So you think that a two year term is not wasteful ?
A House congressman will spend half their time fighting elections

And senators get 6 years, where's the logic there ?

IMO, House congressmen, senators and the president/vice-president should all serve 4 (or maybe 5) years.

The opportunity to be re-elected (should) keep them honest, if bad behavior is met with termination. Without that carrot, what is to prevent someone look at their term like a contestant in a gameshow, where they can grab as much as they want within a set time limit? But instead of a minute, it's however many years. In my opinion, the lack of motivation to perform well is the main issue, while extending term limits is the multiplier.

As for the impact of elections, well, the clear solution is to shorten your election cycle. By a lot. It's ridiculous...lol... We get ours done in a few short months, leaving the majority of time to be spent doing the actual job.

The opportunity to be re-elected (should) keep them honest, if bad behavior is met with termination. Without that carrot, what is to prevent someone look at their term like a contestant in a gameshow, where they can grab as much as they want within a set time limit? But instead of a minute, it's however many years. In my opinion, the lack of motivation to perform well is the main issue, while extending term limits is the multiplier.

Well a two term limit for presidents doesn't seem to cause them to destroy the country or to turn into corrupt monsters

(Trump excepted - even if he is going to be a one term president, he looks like he want to burn the White House down before leaving it)

Too many senators make a "cosy corner" and do nothing for years

As for the impact of elections, well, the clear solution is to shorten your election cycle. By a lot. It's ridiculous...lol... We get ours done in a few short months, leaving the majority of time to be spent doing the actual job.

I think you mean shortening the campaign season rather than the election cycle and you really can't
Candidates need to be constantly raising cash and going to fund-raisers

A two year cycle for the house is way too short, Congressmen's eyes are on the election after just one year

They should serve the same term as the president (as should senators)

...that's not a thing anymore....if it ever was....

Forgive me, the term is actually "Benevolent Dictatorship":

'

Well a two term limit for presidents doesn't seem to cause them to destroy the country or to turn into corrupt monsters

(Trump excepted - even if he is going to be a one term president, he looks like he want to burn the White House down before leaving it)

Too many senators make a "cosy corner" and do nothing for years

Yeah, I thought about that...presidents do seem to be under a lot more scrutiny than most career politicians, though. I haven't heard of any impeachment proceedings against anyone other than the president. Is that a thing?

I may have been clumsy with this post.

I think you mean shortening the campaign season rather than the election cycle and you really can't
Candidates need to be constantly raising cash and going to fund-raisers

Why? In my way of thinking, the massive advertising budgets are ridiculous, and don't really serve to create a more informed public. Elections should be decided upon policy, not branding strategy. In my perfect world, each party would put forth their policy goals a couple months ahead of the election, and have a series of debates starting a couple weeks before the first ballots would be cast. No party would pay for their election campaign, and all parties would be limited to equal exposure to all voters, paid for by the taxpayer. Elections would cost MUCH less, corporate interests would come second to communicating a fair election to the voters, and you wouldn't be dragging yourselves through the mud for the better part of a year, leading to more actual work getting done.

I think this would be great for any country. Politics has become a gong show...it really shouldn't be.

A two year cycle for the house is way too short, Congressmen's eyes are on the election after just one year

They should serve the same term as the president (as should senators)

hehe...well, I agree with this, I guess...it does seem weird that they have a shorter term than the president... though it would certainly limit how badly you can mess with an unpopular president...hehe

Forgive me, the term is actually "Benevolent Dictatorship":

'

hehe...I know what it is, I'm just not sure I believe in them... ;)

Yeah, I thought about that...presidents do seem to be under a lot more scrutiny than most career politicians, though. I haven't heard of any impeachment proceedings against anyone other than the president. Is that a thing?

I may have been clumsy with this post.

Sorry are you asking if anyone but a president (of which there have been three, but Trump was the only 1st term president to be impeached) has been impeached ?

If you are the answer is yes:

Why? In my way of thinking, the massive advertising budgets are ridiculous, and don't really serve to create a more informed public. Elections should be decided upon policy, not branding strategy. In my perfect world, each party would put forth their policy goals a couple months ahead of the election, and have a series of debates starting a couple weeks before the first ballots would be cast. No party would pay for their election campaign, and all parties would be limited to equal exposure to all voters, paid for by the taxpayer. Elections would cost MUCH less, corporate interests would come second to communicating a fair election to the voters, and you wouldn't be dragging yourselves through the mud for the better part of a year, leading to more actual work getting done.

I think this would be great for any country. Politics has become a gong show...it really shouldn't be.

There are two type of advertising: Informative and Persuasive
Informative is generally regarded as good, Persuasive is generally regarded as bad (when you're just saying how great you are or how bad the other guy is)

I think for a start all negative advertising should be banned
Secondly, I think the state should fund elections and candidates/parties can only spend their state sponsored election budget

hehe...well, I agree with this, I guess...it does seem weird that they have a shorter term than the president... though it would certainly limit how badly you can mess with an unpopular president...hehe

The idea is that not only must a president be popular to become president, but remain popular throughout his tenure

IMO, the American political process is the most wasteful and unwieldy in the developed world

hehe...I know what it is, I'm just not sure I believe in them... ;)

Neither do I, as the saying goes: absolute power corrupts absolutely

There was an ancient concept of "Priest-Kings" who were humble and pious
They sought no personal gain (like monks) and were righteous men before god and therefore to be trusted to do the right thing

It didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom