• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3.0 A Graphics/Format/'Look' Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
3.0 A Graphics/Format/'Look' Downgrade

I appreciate all the work put in and that some features like search may have been enhanced.
But the readability/The overall 'look' of 3.0 is a Graphics downgrade.
Like a newspaper front page that you no longer want to buy from just looking at it even though they now have a TV section.

Here was the old 'Cached' version of the Middle East Section:
Middle East

CLEAR Thread titles and string spacing/differentiation. Just OP name underneath. All the String titles ergo easily discernible by that spacing, and by font boldness.
---
Here the New version:
Middle East
A Muddle!
The strings are right Atop one another and tend Merge into a Less readable large Block of fonts.
With "Started by poster name", (Time) "03-23-10 11:44 AM" .... Just as Prominent font-wise as the title... and often Longer.

The [good] 'old version Just the OP name without needless info/type face of the new which is Overlapping the string title underneath.

All that Extraneuos info- in same size fonts makes the string Titles all the individual strings Less easily differentiated and Run together.
Far Inferior in clarity to the old version.
'Upgrades' are almost always downgrades because they are made by people with Less graphic talent than the original designer.

Consistent with the other Board-wide, Faint-font problems in the ID box to my left and the new Graphics in General... the online Lights (Green, etc) are now too Small and pale/Much LESS clear.

Features may have been enhanced, but it's been a Graphics failure and likely to attract less posters.
For message boards....
"It's the Format/Look Stupid!"

Please be Specific in reply.
-

Last edited:
Re: 3.0 A Graphics/Format/'Look' Downgrade

Vauge is continuing to work on making things look better, as is I believe Hugh. They have put a ton of effort into getting it this good, and are continuing to make improvements. It is definitely a work in progress, and the end results I think will be great. It will take some time, but if you could see how it looked before they started, you would see major improvements. Please be a little patient, and keep the constructive suggestions coming.

It will take some time, but if you could see how it looked before they started, you would see major improvements. Please be a little patient, and keep the constructive suggestions coming.
I would have to agree with the OP - hopefully more changes on the way. Right now I find there to be wayyy too much spacing and the text, too small.

But hey... just happy to have things back up and running! :D

I would have to agree with the OP - hopefully more changes on the way. Right now I find there to be wayyy too much spacing and the text, too small.

But hey... just happy to have things back up and running! :D

That is a real common theme among the comments. I suspect there will be significant improvements over the next couple days. Be patient today, Vauge probably needs some sleep.

Thanks for your reply Redress.
I was a little shocked by the 'upgrade'.
Others here are just High-fiving with NO real critique and why.
And sorry, no common sense or taste either.

Again, Please DO take the above as a constructive suggestion and thanks for not just saying "ingrate".
But all we had/have to do is go back to the old Format (for reasons stated above), and enhance features like search while not screwing with the 'Look' that is now a mess.
There's a week of work just to get back to where we were in terms of Right-looking graphics and it's board-wide!
Surely doing the 'upgrade' they could see the unclear/overlap string problem .. and so much else.

So What is the upgrade? Not 'look'.
I don't think they get it. I wouldn't have released it looking worse.
So who's going to fix what they think was enhanced? )^:

I think my example above about the string [un]differentiation is a huge problem, as well again, as the tiny fonts/features in the ID box to my left.
Nothing that couldn't be cured by simply going back to the old format while just enhancing features.
Doing each individually is silly in comparison to just going back to what Was a far more readable no matter what they do to try and fix it.

There is No 'upgrade' in look at all. Quite the contrary.
Perhaps in features I haven't tested yet.. but who's that going to attract to the board?
-

Last edited:

Here's something really important: Where are the smilies? :boohoo:

Errgh.
I'm distinctly underwhelmed.

Mbig, as I understand it, the new software is more secure, which is very important, and we would have had to make the change for support reasons soon anyway. Going back would only be a short term option I believe. AS those who are working on it get more done, it will look and feel much better, especially with constructive, clear feedback.

Is there anyway the quote box can be shaded with a color? The white box with black text is hard on my eyes. I noticed it right away but thought it was just something I'd get used to but it's worse now, after an hour or so.

Can you tell me how to multiquote?

Mbig, as I understand it, the new software is more secure, which is very important, and we would have had to make the change for support reasons soon anyway. Going back would only be a short term option I believe. AS those who are working on it get more done, it will look and feel much better, especially with constructive, clear feedback.
Could we not have enhanced security or function while maintaining the 'old' look?
If we couldn't, then yes, we'll have to fix what that new software dictates.
But many here were proud of the new look/or Brown-nosing and cheering, which was pretty shocking as it's got major problems in font/clarity etc, etc.

I would be glad to help with suggestions or to bounce off... but have no coding skills.
Tho I have started a VB board, which gives you the ability to manipulate many of the formats without being a Web designer, and tasteful/readable options just need to be combined. At least on simpler board than this. This one is probably difficult with all the data that need to be moved and security enhancements which are way out of my league.

Sorry about this impatient string but I got tired of reading all the people just gratuitously cheering it with no clue what obvious problems it had for usability.

Last edited:

Ohhhh. It's really kind of hidden away and squished between each post. I would have never found that without your help!

Thank you!

Is there anyway the multiquote button can be moved near the Reply with Quote?

Could we not have enhanced security or function while maintaining the 'old' look?
If we couldn't, then yes, we'll have to fix what that new software dictates.
But many here were proud of the new look/or Brown-nosing and cheering, which was pretty shocking as it's got major problems in font/clarity etc, etc.

I would be glad to help with suggestions or to bounce off... but have no coding skills.
Tho I have started a VB board, which gives you the ability to manipulate many of the formats without being a Web designer, and tasteful/readable options just need to be combined. At least on simpler board than this. This one is probably difficult with all the data that need to be moved and security features which are way out of my league.

Need the new software for the security, plus some nice new features, but it has new methods of skinning, and a different look overall. We won't be able to get back to the exact way DP used to look, the software just won't do it. Vauge and Hugh can and will make this look better, and I am sure appreciate any constructive comments they get, so please keep those coming. Hope this answers your questions/comments.

Ohhhh. It's really kind of hidden away and squished between each post. I would have never found that without your help!

Thank you!

Mine is next to it. I am using the --old dp skin

Thank you!

It is literally right next to it for me. What browser you using?

Sorry about this impatient string but I got tired of reading all the people just gratuitously cheering it with no clue what obvious problems it had for usability.

I haven't seen any problems with actual usability, to be honest. And I don't think that showing appreciation for the work that vauge and Hugh put into this can fairly be called "gratuitous cheering". Frankly, I am not finding any technical issues and I have set about trying to "break it" for myself. The look is just gonna take some getting used to and that's all.

Good job, vauge and Hugh!!! This is a great upgrade and you have a lot to be proud of. Keep up the good work.

Firefox

Are you using a netbook? I am noticing that on a netbook, the multiquote is spilling over to the next line and kind of falling between post boxes.

This is gonna be a real bitch for the half blind dyslexic like me.

This is gonna be a real bitch for the half blind dyslexic like me.

Try using control-mousewheel to turn itt up one size maybe?

I'm missing the iSpy function which showed new posts as they are posted. Is there something similar in 3.0?

Are you using a netbook? I am noticing that on a netbook, the multiquote is spilling over to the next line and kind of falling between post boxes.

Nope. I only have a desktop.

It's really wierd because the basement posts look fine. It's only upstairs that the multiquote squishes inbetween the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom