• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2nd grand jury won't indict Tucson officer who shot, killed man in wheelchair

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2...son-officer-who-shot-killed-man-in-wheelchair

TUCSON, Ariz. - A second grand jury has declined to indict a former Tucson police officer who shot and killed a shoplifting suspect in a motorized wheelchair.

Ryan Remington was indicted on manslaughter charges back in August after he reportedly killed 61-year-old Richard Lee Richards in a Walmart parking lot.
I have no idea what other evidence was showed to this Grand Jury but it's beyond me how they could have issued a "no bill". This cop, based on the available video, flat out executed the scooter guy. There was ZERO imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm to the cops or to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

If you want to see video of the actual incident it's available on YouTube but I suspect that posting a link here violate the rules. Just plug "Ryan Remington" into the YouTube search if you feel like having a look,

As someone whos foot been run over by a motorized wheelchair let me assure you that there IS in fact a risk of bodily injury.

As someone whos foot been run over by a motorized wheelchair let me assure you that there IS in fact a risk of bodily injury.
Seinfeld George GIF - Seinfeld George Jason Alexander - Discover & Share  GIFs

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2...son-officer-who-shot-killed-man-in-wheelchair

I have no idea what other evidence was showed to this Grand Jury but it's beyond me how they could have issued a "no bill". This cop, based on the available video, flat out executed the scooter guy. There was ZERO imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm to the cops or to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

If you want to see video of the actual incident it's available on YouTube but I suspect that posting a link here violate the rules. Just plug "Ryan Remington" into the YouTube search if you feel like having a look,
Well if two grand juries no-billed this case then you have to assume they’ve seen evidence that leads them to believe a crime was not committed and should reconsider the idea that the officer acted criminally. You’re saying the majority of 50 people are all crazy? Now that doesn’t mean it’s write, sometimes grand juries may act according to political pressures, but unless Tucson has an active movement of people advocating hatred of paralyzed people I don’t see where a political motivation exists

Well if two grand juries no-billed this case then you have to assume they’ve seen evidence that leads them to believe a crime was not committed and should reconsider the idea that the officer acted criminally. You’re saying the majority of 50 people are all crazy? Now that doesn’t mean it’s write, sometimes grand juries may act according to political pressures, but unless Tucson has an active movement of people advocating hatred of paralyzed people I don’t see where a political motivation exists
The first one indicted. The judge kicked it back and now the second no billed.

The first one indicted. The judge kicked it back and now the second no billed.
Why did a judge throw out the original indictment?

Arizona has a problem with trumpanzee terrorists. This is not a surprise.

Not enough riots to get an indictment.

It would be a tricky escape, using all one’s athletic ability to step up onto a curb, the enemy of wheelchairs everywhere.

I agree, I thought from the video when it happened for sure we'd see charges.

I agree, I thought from the video when it happened for sure we'd see charges.

This is nothing more than red state corruption.

There needs to be a 10-figure lawsuit against the city, the state, the county, and the department. The officer and his supervisor and his chief all need to be part of that.

It would be a tricky escape, using all one’s athletic ability to step up onto a curb, the enemy of wheelchairs everywhere.
There is still the matter if he's a threat to other shoppers. I only vaguely remember this case but what if some mom with her kid is walking in or out without really realizing what she's walking into?

There is still the matter if he's a threat to other shoppers. I only vaguely remember this case but what if some mom with her kid is walking in or out without really realizing what she's walking into?
The danger to life needs to be objectively clear and imminent, not what ifs.

The danger to life needs to be objectively clear and imminent, not what ifs.
Not true. Police can shoot someone that is actively fleeing if they reasonably suspect the person is a threat to others, even if there isn't an imminent threat.

This is nothing more than red state corruption.

There needs to be a 10-figure lawsuit against the city, the state, the county, and the department. The officer and his supervisor and his chief all need to be part of that.
"Red state corruption"? You have no idea what you're talking about. Tucson is a solidly Democrat city. In most cases it doesn't even make sense for a Republican to run for any office down here.

Not true. Police can shoot someone that is actively fleeing if they reasonably suspect the person is a threat to others, even if there isn't an imminent threat.
Yes, but it was objectively unreasonable in this case.

"Red state corruption"? You have no idea what you're talking about. Tucson is a solidly Democrat city. In most cases it doesn't even make sense for a Republican to run for any office down here.

Arizona is a red state.

The fact that that cop wasn't charged is a crime against the people.

Yes, but it was objectively unreasonable in this case.
Like I said, I only vaguely remember this case. I'm only pointing out that there are legal uses of deadly force for reasons beyond imminent threat to self.

Arizona is a red state.

The fact that that cop wasn't charged is a crime against the people.
You're out of your mind. Did Arizona vote for Trump in 2020? Is our governor a Republican? How many Republican senators do we have? Go check Twitter for answers to those questions and get back to me.

Last edited:
Like I said, I only vaguely remember this case. I'm only pointing out that there are legal uses of deadly force for reasons beyond imminent threat to self.
Of course, I have argued the same thing many times. But those circumstances were not present in this case.

Back
Top Bottom