• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2nd EU referendum raised by Farage

UK does not have a constitution. What's more, national sovereignty is not under dispute here.

The whole thing is, as has been countlessly pointed out by now, about Britain either no longer following the EU path or staying (in whatever manner the future may deem for all).

It is true that the UK has no formal constitution. It is incorrect to say it has none. That is like saying the the EU hasn't one just because the constitution is called "Treaty". It would also be false to assure people that it is not a question of sovereignty, where whole categories of political decision making no longer rests with Parliament and the UK governments but with the various legislative and bureaucratic entities around Europe and the judiciary no longer holds the last say.
And the fact that it has been "countlessly pointed out by now" and still does not persuade is the smoke that hides the fire. The EU is a mess. most people do not understand its constitution not so much, because they have not read it but because they cannot deal with its complexity, in-transparency and inconsistencies. Why, as it turned out in one thread here, a strong supporter of the EU could not even name the larger areas, where the EU Council could be blocked by which combinations of countries' votes.

I have to agree with "coldjoint" even if I have to wash my mouth out afterwards...
Yeah, I should have stated "written constitution" (as in US and elsewhere), e.g. one single document.

Theoretically the assortment of sources wherein the UK variant is rooted can(could) be changed with greater ease than in other countries that have a "codified" constitution. Simply by an Act of Parliament.

In case of a Brexit as unlikely as it is (would be) unnecessary.

I have to agree with "coldjoint" even if I have to wash my mouth out afterwards...
Ah, the convenience and beauty of blanking someone, one has to neither agree nor disagree :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom