• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

28th Amendment???

BretJ

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Anyone see a problem with this idea?

Proposed 28th Amendment:

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of AR, AK, military patterned firearms or components within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for sporting, defensive or otherwise lawful purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

This Amendment will be further clarified by the criteria set forth in the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 - Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act hereby referred to as the Pelosi Act.

I think it would actually fly in this day and age.....it makes sense if you don't think about it....

You know what I'm fine with this as long as you use the amendment process and stop trying to a end run around the second through the courts who have no authority over the constitution.

I think it would actually fly in this day and age.....it makes sense if you don't think about it....

Personally I see this as a crock of ****. There is nothing inherantly wrong with the AR and AK weapons. Most shootings have happened with LEGAL weapons, so the reasoning is BS.

So anything the military uses is banned like 9mm or does this just apply to things painted black or green or white or some variation of camo?

Only for really fundamental issues should one alter the Constitution. This proposal doesn't pass that test by a long shot.

I would put forth good money to see that fail.
Its too late anyway, you would be making criminals out of millions of people who own ARs and AKs. I own both, and will never give them up under any circumstances.
Back in 1994 ARs were no where near as popular a weapon for civilian use, that has changed. And if you actually knew anything about them, you would see they are no different than anyother weapon.
Here in Palm Bay, we had a 70 year old man kill two police officers and 7 civilians with a Ruger hunting rifle. Wanna include that too?

Only for really fundamental issues should one alter the Constitution. This proposal doesn't pass that test by a long shot.
No it's required for any expansion of the power of the federal government.

So if we send the troops to Iran they won't be able to take their weapons?

Proposed 28th Amendment:

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of AR, AK, military patterned firearms or components within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for sporting, defensive or otherwise lawful purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

This Amendment will be further clarified by the criteria set forth in the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 - Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act hereby referred to as the Pelosi Act.

Sounds kind of like prohibition to me. At the very least, already existing guns of that type would have to be grandfathered in. If you legally own an AK now, you should be able to "transport" it if you move, and it would make the price go way up among collectors.

In the end though, I don't think the problem is what is and isn't legal. There's already plenty of "bootleg" guns being sold out of someone's trunk as it is. You just made the Crips more powerful, more profitable and more deadly with this amendment.

No need for an amendment.
Gun control has never been a constitutional issue.
It is a public health and safety issue.

So was the 18th amendment on which this one was modeled. I just replaced alcohol and beverages. I replaced the Volstead Act with Pelosi Act.
As a matter of fact, alcohol is an exponentially greater public health and safety issue.

But see? It did pass exactly as worded...kind of. It was called the 18th Amendment. And the very same mentality that called for its passage seems to be flourishing in liberal and progressive communes. That is the scary part.

They pass that, and it will be the day of our second revolution. . .

Proposed 28th Amendment:

But see? It did pass exactly as worded...kind of. It was called the 18th Amendment. And the very same mentality that called for its passage seems to be flourishing in liberal and progressive communes. That is the scary part.
But just like prohibition such an amendment couldn't stand up over time. It would be over-reach and unnecessary. An all or nothing amendment wouldn't pass anyway.
Common sense regulation is all that is needed . Just as it is with alcohol.

Last edited:
But just like prohibition such an amendment couldn't stand up over time. It would be over-reach and unnecessary. An all or nothing amendment wouldn't pass anyway.
Common sense regulation is all that is needed . Just as it is with alcohol.

Thousands of "common sense" regulations are already in place. What additional firearms regulations are required that could not be applied to alcohol with greater effect?

You mean OTHER than it completely contradicts the stated intent of the 2nd Amendment? Well...sure...there are still lots wrong with this. Primarily the FACT that it is mindless foolish garbage that will actually ACCOMPLISH nothing. The NYCP Commissioner made a pretty clear and bold statement that only 3 of the 1300 shootings in New York City involved rifles of ANY KIND. Add that to the fact that there is ZERO difference between the potential damage caused by an AR/AK style weapon vs a standard hunting rifle and you can begin to see just how stupid people are that support these kinds of actions.

Thousands of "common sense" regulations are already in place. What additional firearms regulations are required that could not be applied to alcohol with greater effect?
Show me your right to drink alcohol?

To some, "common sense" regulations means taking everyones firearms. By force if needed.

You mean OTHER than it completely contradicts the stated intent of the 2nd Amendment? Well...sure...there are still lots wrong with this. Primarily the FACT that it is mindless foolish garbage that will actually ACCOMPLISH nothing. The NYCP Commissioner made a pretty clear and bold statement that only 3 of the 1300 shootings in New York City involved rifles of ANY KIND. Add that to the fact that there is ZERO difference between the potential damage caused by an AR/AK style weapon vs a standard hunting rifle and you can begin to see just how stupid people are that support these kinds of actions.
The AR is a lot of bluster amongst the least informed. It's a .223 round, basically a hot .22 round which is a bit fatter and longer, the fact that many treat it as some kind of super weapon always makes me laugh.

My dad's Weatherby .257Mag hunting rifle has exponentially more power than that and will shred protective vests with ease. I myself have been looking into either the .338 Lapua round or something in the +.400 range and those rifles are beasts at distance, deadly accurate as well.

The AR is a lot of bluster amongst the least informed. It's a .223 round, basically a hot .22 round which is a bit fatter and longer, the fact that many treat it as some kind of super weapon always makes me laugh.

My dad's Weatherby .257Mag hunting rifle has exponentially more power than that and will shred protective vests with ease. I myself have been looking into either the .338 Lapua round or something in the +.400 range and those rifles are beasts at distance, deadly accurate as well.
Yep.

Whats the difference in these two rifles? Absolutely nothing.
images (2).jpeg

The political reality is that NO proposed constitutional amendement having to do with firearms - either pro or con - would pass today given the nation divide on the topic.

Well my health and safety are greatly improved by me having a gun to ensure the health and safety of me and my family.

50-to-221.jpg

Comparison of popular rifle cartridges, from left: 50 BMG, 30-06 Springfield, 308 Winchester (center), .223 Remington (AR), 22 Long Rifle - Image Copyright 2011 Ultimate Reloader

Back
Top Bottom