• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

272 Slaves Were Sold to Save Georgetown. What Does It Owe Their Descendants?

Not sure what to think about this.

An apology should suffice at this point.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if we're going to apply restorative justice to nations, institutions and businesses for the brutality they committed ages ago.
Well, we're going to have a lot of back and forth in payments and restitution.

Why would they owe them anything? I have never understood this logic that descendants of slaves are somehow owed something because of it.

Not sure what to think about this.

The freedom of the 272 enslaved, and their descendants that chose to stay in the US, was restored and guaranteed by the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution. Beyond that (and this may sound harsh to those that believe in restorative payments, also known as reparations) the decedents are due nothing, just as I am due nothing for transgressions taken against my ancestors, since the transgression of enslavement was not put upon them - however, the only restorative action that I believe that could legitimately be taken to restore them to the condition they may have found themselves in currently if the enslavement had not occurred, is for Georgetown University to pay for a ticket back to the area of Africa from which their ancestors were taken from so that they can live life as it may have occurred otherwise.

Although, an apology for the actions of the predecessors of the current administration of Georgetown, if it hasn't occurred already, wouldn't hurt as long as the descendants of the enslaved don't try to use such an apology as evidence of liability on the part of the current for the deeds of the predecessor.

Last edited:
Nothing. Nothing at all.

Beyond that (and this may sound harsh to those that believe in restorative payments, also known as reparations) the decedents are due nothing, just as I am due nothing for transgressions taken against my ancestors, since the transgression of enslavement was not put upon them - however, the only restorative action that I believe that could legitimately be taken to restore them to the condition they may have found themselves in currently if the enslavement had not occurred, is for Georgetown University to pay for a ticket back to the area of Africa from which their ancestors were taken from so that they can live life as it may have occurred otherwise.

That wouldn't solve the problem though. They would need to figure out where the sellers got their ancestors from, which I can't imagine is possible. They were most likely sold by other Africans, which acquired them from some war or another, but who knows which group sold them and where they got them from exactly. This all needs to be figured out in order to restore them to the life they would have otherwise had.

I look to Walter Williams PhD explanation of what the descendants of slaves are owed. Nothing. Like any other normal American, he sees slavery as a cruel abomination with nothing to justify it. But he does know that he descended from American slaves and he realistically knows that because somebody dragged his ancestor over here on a slave ship his life has been greatly blessed. He has been able to acquire an excellent education, despite being born poor and growing up under segregation laws, he has prospered, has thrived under liberty, and has enjoyed a good life. The likelihood of him being poor, lacking in competent medical care, denied a good education, and living under fear and oppression, etc. had he been born on the African Ivory Coast is very high.

Nothing at all.

The best way to blow up racial tensions is for people to start demanding reparations....

Back
Top Bottom