• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

27+1. Croatia joins the EU

And now that you guys are here, we're going to need your monthly loyalty checks to keep the rest of us afloat.

Who is you guys? Who is a Croatian here?

I was talking as the EU, welcoming the croatians. We've built up a league of welfare nations, and I just wanted to welcome them and remind them their first check will becoming due soon.

I was talking as the EU, welcoming the croatians. We've built up a league of welfare nations, and I just wanted to welcome them and remind them their first check will becoming due soon.

That is genau verdamt richtig. :)

All aboard the sinking ship.

Hope it works out well for all of us.

Well initially, Croatia will receive development funds. Romania and Bulgaria got them too in 2007 when we joined. For Romania, the development money was around 40bil euros over 5 years. That's not a lot, it's about the 1 year budget of the Romanian government. Bulgaria I think got 22-25bil euros. But the advantage was that the money is hard to be stolen since the EU firewall protects the bulk it, with some degree, from the greedy hands of the corrupt political class. I would argue that most of the money from the EU went to the public. Indeed, Romania saw a great expansion in small businesses due to the EU money and 2 years ago it was the main source of funds for new businesses, surpassing Romanian grants for businesses.
It had a massive surge in 2007 too, when Romania's GDP grew from aprox 170bil to 200bil. Ofc, after that the recession hit... but c'est la vie.

So I assume we will see an increase in the GDP of Croatia as it taps into these funds. The main advantage will be, again, that the population will get access to them directly instead of the politicians, if it will work like it did here. Which I'm sure it will.

But this is just a positive note in the otherwise big problem at the higher levels of the EU. Meaning, the economic situation. The fact that Europeans are smart people and do what they can to better their livelyhoods can get you so far if there is no prudent council at the higher levels. Which there isn't. For most of the EU member countries, the elected officials squander the money and engage in frivolous spending and exaggerated spending at that too. Money is thrown into a pit like crazy at both national and EU levels.

Back
Top Bottom