• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

22-year-old with deadly disease loses disability insurance

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From CBS News

Megan Willis lives with cystic fibrosis, a deadly disease that causes extensive lung damage. The 22-year-old said she spends around six hours a day administering medications and therapy, and that the disease frequently causes infections and other complications.

With the condition, Willis qualified as a disabled adult for Social Security benefits on living expenses. About 10 million other Americans too disabled for work also get the stipend, called Disability Insurance. More importantly, having Social Security gave Willis access to Medicaid, which paid her annual health care costs of over $100,000.

But in March, Social Security sent her a letter saying her health had improved since the last review of her case and that she was able to work. This was news to Willis.

"My health has only gotten worse in the past year," Willis told CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

COMMENT:-

Yet another example of those Death Panels that that **S*O*C*I*A*L*I*S*T** so-called "Social Security" has rammed down the throats of free, independent, hard-working, Americans.

This person made a choice to have that so-called "Cystic Fibrosis" and now she feels that she has an entitlement to have everyone else pay for her so-called "treatments" (which she could completely replace by a total cure if she would only pray to God) because she refused to take out adequate insurance to cover her needs.

[The above mirrors the position taken by "Conservatives" on "Universal Health Care" very accurately and is written solely for that purpose. Personally I think that it's a load of hooey.]

How the Social Security people could possibly have concluded that the health of a person with Cystic Fibrosis had "improved" without having any medical examinations/tests done is totally beyond me. Fortunately the Social Security people ended up rectifying their "mistake".

In a Trumpist world, first she loses her insurance, then she loses her life. Trump's ends are being met exactly as he intends.

In Willis' case, Social Security ultimately reconsidered and she was able to get back on disability in November. She was hospitalized around Thanksgiving, and Medicaid kicked in and the bills were covered,
So it did get worked out, but...

OMG! TRUMP!!!!

Sad case for someone so young having a =$100,000 yearly medical cost.

What is missing in many articles and posts that play to the heart is how to sustain the insurance. Other than raising taxes or insurance premiums how can SS and Medicaid stay viable? I expect someone to post, "tax the rich more". Just maybe we should take a look at all the support type programs and get rid of some while improving others.

What a disgusting, dishonest OP commentary.. it is nothing new that navigating SSA disability is a nightmare for many. Hell, there is an entire sub sect of attorneys that specialize in obtaining benefits...

So, I don't know why the OP felt it necessary to post this blatant appeal to emotion, and spin it into another Trump bash thread..it's not "breaking news ", and it's just more crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What is missing in many articles and posts that play to the heart is how to sustain the insurance. Other than raising taxes or insurance premiums how can SS and Medicaid stay viable? I expect someone to post, "tax the rich more". Just maybe we should take a look at all the support type programs and get rid of some while improving others.

So who would you let die, or be confined to their home or a hospital bed?

The **S*O*C*I*A*L*I*S*T** Single Payer medical insurance program in Canada has no problem paying for cases like this and the annual cost (per capita) in Canada is around $4,500 while the **F*R*E*E** **E*N*T*E*R*P*R*I*S*E** private insurance/government insurance program in the US spends around $9,500 per capita per year and doesn't appear to be capable of dealing with these types of cases.

PS - If you include the amount that the average person in the US pays out of their own pocket for medical insurance (or which their employer pays on their behalf, thereby reducing the amount that the employer can afford to pay in wages to the amount that the average person in the US pays in taxes then you will find that the total is actually MORE than the same figures add up to for the average Canadian. It's not that the US cannot afford a "universal medical insurance program" but rather that the US cannot afford a universal medical care insurance program that is massively administratively overburdened and guaranteed to return huge profits to the people actually providing the medical care insurance - people that would have even LESS of an incentive to be efficient because their percentage profit would be guaranteed by the government".

PPS - You might want to ponder this question -

"Why would the private, for profit, automobile insurance companies have offered - as a 'public service' - to issue automobile insurance policies at rates which were exactly as much as they had paid out in claims and administration costs when the BC government was contemplating "mandatory, no fault, single payer, automobile insurance" and shutting the private insurers out of a market in which they claimed they were barely (most years) breaking even and when they didn't break even they paid out more than they collected in premiums?"

I didn't make that up, because that is exactly what the private insurance companies did offer.

The answer is really simple, but see if you can work it out before opening the "spoiler".

Because the private insurance companies classed "reserves for future claims" as money already paid out, didn't include the money that they made through investing the premiums they paid as income, and (collectively) had administrations that were grossly inflated over the administration that would have been needed to run a single insurance program (regardless of the fact that that program was not dealing with 100% of the cases.

The REAL TRUE Conservative answer to your question is "Check their "Party Registration". If it doesn't say "Republican" then they can either die or stay home on voting day." but they won't say that in public.

answering question with a question does nothing. How would you pay for the health care?
I have questions as to why the young man did not sign up under the ACA. Did he choose to loose coverage? There are just too many unanswered questions with this particular case.

To partially answer your question, not everyone can be saved.

From CBS News

Megan Willis lives with cystic fibrosis, a deadly disease that causes extensive lung damage. The 22-year-old said she spends around six hours a day administering medications and therapy, and that the disease frequently causes infections and other complications.

With the condition, Willis qualified as a disabled adult for Social Security benefits on living expenses. About 10 million other Americans too disabled for work also get the stipend, called Disability Insurance. More importantly, having Social Security gave Willis access to Medicaid, which paid her annual health care costs of over $100,000.

But in March, Social Security sent her a letter saying her health had improved since the last review of her case and that she was able to work. This was news to Willis.

"My health has only gotten worse in the past year," Willis told CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

Yet another example of those Death Panels that that **S*O*C*I*A*L*I*S*T** so-called "Social Security" has rammed down the throats of free, independent, hard-working, Americans.

This person made a choice to have that so-called "Cystic Fibrosis" and now she feels that she has an entitlement to have everyone else pay for her so-called "treatments" (which she could completely replace by a total cure if she would only pray to God) because she refused to take out adequate insurance to cover her needs.

[The above mirrors the position taken by "Conservatives" on "Universal Health Care" very accurately and is written solely for that purpose. Personally I think that it's a load of hooey.]

How the Social Security people could possibly have concluded that the health of a person with Cystic Fibrosis had "improved" without having any medical examinations/tests done is totally beyond me. Fortunately the Social Security people ended up rectifying their "mistake".

You should work for a newspaper, just so you can be fired:

In Willis' case, Social Security ultimately reconsidered and she was able to get back on disability in November. She was hospitalized around Thanksgiving, and Medicaid kicked in and the bills were covered, her mother Wendy said.

And re fired for missing your story:

But Willis's lawyer still has about 200 pending cases of people with cystic fibrosis who are first getting reviewed and those who are appealing.

If you are going to play D.P. Newser, at least post all the relevant facts, not just enough to turn truth into a lie. Don't waste my time with click bait, and getting your TDS trolls all up set about phony issues.

The **S*O*C*I*A*L*I*S*T** Single Payer medical insurance program in Canada has no problem paying for cases like this and the annual cost (per capita) in Canada is around $4,500 while the **F*R*E*E** **E*N*T*E*R*P*R*I*S*E** private insurance/government insurance program in the US spends around $9,500 per capita per year and doesn't appear to be capable of dealing with these types of cases.

PS - If you include the amount that the average person in the US pays out of their own pocket for medical insurance (or which their employer pays on their behalf, thereby reducing the amount that the employer can afford to pay in wages to the amount that the average person in the US pays in taxes then you will find that the total is actually MORE than the same figures add up to for the average Canadian. It's not that the US cannot afford a "universal medical insurance program" but rather that the US cannot afford a universal medical care insurance program that is massively administratively overburdened and guaranteed to return huge profits to the people actually providing the medical care insurance - people that would have even LESS of an incentive to be efficient because their percentage profit would be guaranteed by the government".

PPS - You might want to ponder this question -

"Why would the private, for profit, automobile insurance companies have offered - as a 'public service' - to issue automobile insurance policies at rates which were exactly as much as they had paid out in claims and administration costs when the BC government was contemplating "mandatory, no fault, single payer, automobile insurance" and shutting the private insurers out of a market in which they claimed they were barely (most years) breaking even and when they didn't break even they paid out more than they collected in premiums?"

I didn't make that up, because that is exactly what the private insurance companies did offer.

The answer is really simple, but see if you can work it out before opening the "spoiler".

Because the private insurance companies classed "reserves for future claims" as money already paid out, didn't include the money that they made through investing the premiums they paid as income, and (collectively) had administrations that were grossly inflated over the administration that would have been needed to run a single insurance program (regardless of the fact that that program was not dealing with 100% of the cases.

" Canadians are also free to purchase private coverage to help defray from the cost of care which is not covered by the universal services (For instance, prescription drug plans help people pay for medications they need to take on a regular basis). Just like in the US, most of these private insurance companies are for-profit.
https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/us-vs-canadian-healthcare-differences/

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/waiting-your-turn-wait-times-for-health-care-in-canada-2017
"it is clear that patients in Canada continue to wait too long to receive medically necessary treatment."

Seems both systems have pro and cons. The Canadian system is not perfect by any means.

So it did get worked out, but...

OMG! TRUMP!!!!

Trump and the Republicans are actively working to make people like this, well, ****ing die, so... sure. Why not?

OMG! Federal workers are overwhelmingly Democrats. Why would they do this to her?

Trump and the Republicans are actively working to make people like this, well, ****ing die, so... sure. Why not?

Wacky world...... Just making up more and more crap and stories that do not exist?

In Willis' case, Social Security ultimately reconsidered and she was able to get back on disability in November. She was hospitalized around Thanksgiving, and Medicaid kicked in and the bills were covered, her mother Wendy said.

OMG! Federal workers are overwhelmingly Democrats. Why would they do this to her?

Because the majority of Federal workers are not overwhelmingly Democrats. Oh wait, you heard Trump say it so you think it is true right?

I hear they eat puppies for breakfast, too! Good thing we have people like you to hold these killers accountable. :giggle1:

Institute price controls and reign in these absurdly overcosted hospitals that then go on to claim tax exempt status.

Institute price controls and reign in these absurdly overcosted hospitals that then go on to claim tax exempt status.

That would only be achieved through a reduction in pay for everyone that works for those hospitals, which in turn will find those employees finding employment elsewhere and an eventual closure due to the lack of staff.

That would only be achieved through a reduction in pay for everyone that works for those hospitals, which in turn will find those employees finding employment elsewhere and an eventual closure due to the lack of staff.

Total nonsense and you know it. But even if it were true, too ****ing bad. Those hospitals quietly merging into localized super powers are not "non profits". LVHN and St Luke's for example have to spend their "profits" buying up local practices to protect their status. The more they merge the more power they weild to dictate prices. Moreover, state insurance regulators typically have to sign off on rate increases in other fields. Health is excluded.

This is a problem of applying a for profit model to an industry where profits should be completely exempt from the equation and the focus ought to be on applying medicine to work for all americans, end of story.

Too bad we're going to use up all the taxes on the rich(70%) for global warming.

From CBS News

We need to save that few hundred a month so we can bailout bankiers and give it to rich farmers.

Americans are here (alive) to make some damn money not coddle some unprofitable sickly useless eater.

Repub health care reform...is just die.

Total nonsense and you know it. But even if it were true, too ****ing bad. Those hospitals quietly merging into localized super powers are not "non profits". LVHN and St Luke's for example have to spend their "profits" buying up local practices to protect their status. The more they merge the more power they weild to dictate prices. Moreover, state insurance regulators typically have to sign off on rate increases in other fields. Health is excluded.

This is a problem of applying a for profit model to an industry where profits should be completely exempt from the equation and the focus ought to be on applying medicine to work for all americans, end of story.

UH(non-profit) vs Cleveland Clinic(profit). UH loses doctors, nurses, non-medical staff on a daily basis to the Clinic, simply on pay. And UH is bigger in terms of census, primary offices, etc.

More centralized "control" will only make it worse.

From CBS News

So this whole thing is much ado about nothing other than I guess people make mistakes?

Stupid ****ing thread.

Back
Top Bottom