• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

22-year-old with deadly disease loses disability insurance

So this whole thing is much ado about nothing other than I guess people make mistakes?

Some have yet to see it as a non issue. Facts get in their way of pushing govt. health care. (single payer).

UH(non-profit) vs Cleveland Clinic(profit). UH loses doctors, nurses, non-medical staff on a daily basis to the Clinic, simply on pay. And UH is bigger in terms of census, primary offices, etc.

More centralized "control" will only make it worse.

Disagree. The principal issue with healthcare is that it's for profit in either case. Mergers and acquisitions ensure the monopoly is centralized in localities between two choices in most cases. This gives the illusion of choice.

We need single payer with strict price controls and adherence with anti-trust laws that eviscerate these mergers.

The REAL TRUE Conservative answer to your question is "Check their "Party Registration". If it doesn't say "Republican" then they can either die or stay home on voting day." but they won't say that in public.
Projection of your own hate.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Disagree. The principal issue with healthcare is that it's for profit in either case. Mergers and acquisitions ensure the monopoly is centralized in localities between two choices in most cases. This gives the illusion of choice.

We need single payer with strict price controls and adherence with anti-trust laws that eviscerate these mergers.

Take away all insurance and that main driver of cost is still going to be over-use, human pay, and regulation(No facility, for-profit or not, can survive on medicare/medicaid rates alone). The only way you will ever see lower health care prices is if you limit how much you can use care, lower expenses through salary reductions, reducing regulated continuing education costs, etc.

Take away all insurance and that main driver of cost is still going to be over-use, human pay, and regulation(No facility, for-profit or not, can survive on medicare/medicaid rates alone). The only way you will ever see lower health care prices is if you limit how much you can use care, lower expenses through salary reductions, reducing regulated continuing education costs, etc.

Again, disagreed. Over-use is not the issue. Nor is human pay, and absolutely not regulation. The way you lower healthcare costs is you allow price controls; that stop profit inflating nonsense like $90 tylenol, or $50 medical tape.

You also reduce cost by removing mergers and acquisitions, as well as uncovering the malignant and unethical price increases simply to bloat the coffers of the directoral board.

Institute price controls and reign in these absurdly overcosted hospitals that then go on to claim tax exempt status.
Hospitals that have tax exempt status already can't make over a small predetermined profit each year. The reasons hospitals cost so much is the high staff to patient ratio that is needed to run a hospital. And the high costs of equipment and supplies and liability insurance.

What a disgusting, dishonest OP commentary.. it is nothing new that navigating SSA disability is a nightmare for many. Hell, there is an entire sub sect of attorneys that specialize in obtaining benefits...

So, I don't know why the OP felt it necessary to post this blatant appeal to emotion, and spin it into another Trump bash thread..it's not "breaking news ", and it's just more crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Did you expect anything less? Or sadly...more?

Hospitals that have tax exempt status already can't make over a small predetermined profit each year. The reasons hospitals cost so much is the high staff to patient ratio that is needed to run a hospital. And the high costs of equipment and supplies and liability insurance.

That's part of it. But this is also proving my point. Networks like St Luke's destroy competition because they make too much, and thus must expend their earnings to keep their tax exempt status. It's a big deal where I live. There are 2 networks and practically no unaffiliated care centers here. Prices have blossomed - ACA be damned. As long as networks form and prices are strong armed by newly empowered big consumer blocs like networks, prices will continue to rise.

You should work for a newspaper, just so you can be fired:

And re fired for missing your story:

If you are going to play D.P. Newser, at least post all the relevant facts, not just enough to turn truth into a lie. Don't waste my time with click bait, and getting your TDS trolls all up set about phony issues.

"Fair Use" limits the amount of a copyright article that can be used. The general rule of thumb is "only the first four(ish) paragraphs".

That's the rule that I use. If you have a problem with me trying to make sure that DP doesn't get slapped with a copyright infringement law suit, I will be more than happy to copy the entire article as soon as you can provide me with DP's agreement to exempt and save me harmless from any legal sequalae PLUS the letter from DP's lawyer telling me that it is 100% legal for me to C&P the whole of any item that I find interesting onto the DP website.

PS - If you had read as far as the "How the Social Security people could possibly have concluded that the health of a person with Cystic Fibrosis had "improved" without having any medical examinations/tests done is totally beyond me. Fortunately the Social Security people ended up rectifying their "mistake"." bit you would have seen that I didn't "miss" anything that you said I missed - I just didn't spoon feed it to an audience which I presume to be a reasonably literate and adult one. If you wish to be excluded from the "reasonably literate and adult" category, please advise.

" Canadians are also free to purchase private coverage to help defray from the cost of care which is not covered by the universal services (For instance, prescription drug plans help people pay for medications they need to take on a regular basis). Just like in the US, most of these private insurance companies are for-profit.
https://www.aimseducation.edu/blog/us-vs-canadian-healthcare-differences/

Where I live the MAXIMUM amount that a family will pay for prescription medication in a year is CDN$10,000 (and that is with a family net income of $CDN300,000.

If you take a more realistic family net income, CDN$60,000, then the maximum that that family will pay is CDN$2,400 (you pay 100% on the first CDN$1,800, 30% on the next CDN$2,000, and 0% on anything over CDN$3,800 [that's around US$2,850 {and around 4% of NET income}]).

You can calculate what your family would pay using BC Pharmacare's Calculator.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/waiting-your-turn-wait-times-for-health-care-in-canada-2017
"it is clear that patients in Canada continue to wait too long to receive medically necessary treatment."

When you compare average wait times between "Country A" and "Country B" (without including the wait times for the people who simply are never going to get the needed service in "Country B") the calculation tends to favour "Country B" simply because the calculations are deliberately skewed to make a political point.

Seems both systems have pro and cons.

Indeed they do.

The Canadian system is not perfect by any means.

And you will never hear me saying so.

I will, however, say that the Canadian system delivers the same quality of care to a higher percentage of people at a lower cost than the American system does.

Could the Canadian system be improved? Yep.

Should Canada toss out its system while waiting for someone to come up with a better one? It is to laugh.

Could the American system be improved? Yep.

Should the US toss out its system while waiting for someone to come up with a better one (that also preserves all of the private profits that the current system produces)? Well, according to Mr. Trump and the "Conservatives" that is EXACTLY what the US should do.

"Fair Use" limits the amount of a copyright article that can be used. The general rule of thumb is "only the first four(ish) paragraphs".

That's the rule that I use. If you have a problem with me trying to make sure that DP doesn't get slapped with a copyright infringement law suit, I will be more than happy to copy the entire article as soon as you can provide me with DP's agreement to exempt and save me harmless from any legal sequalae PLUS the letter from DP's lawyer telling me that it is 100% legal for me to C&P the whole of any item that I find interesting onto the DP website.

PS - If you had read as far as the "How the Social Security people could possibly have concluded that the health of a person with Cystic Fibrosis had "improved" without having any medical examinations/tests done is totally beyond me. Fortunately the Social Security people ended up rectifying their "mistake"." bit you would have seen that I didn't "miss" anything that you said I missed - I just didn't spoon feed it to an audience which I presume to be a reasonably literate and adult one. If you wish to be excluded from the "reasonably literate and adult" category, please advise.

Man up. You blew it.

Back
Top Bottom