• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

22 Repubs for Impeachment

H

hipsterdufus

The Atlanta Progressive News published this interesting roundup of growing bipartisan support for HR 635 - an investigation that could lead to impeachment.

22 US Representatives–including two members of the Georgia delegation–have now signed on as co-sponsors of H. Res 635, demanding a probe which could recommend Bush’s impeachment, including the initial sponsor, US Rep. John Conyers, Atlanta Progressive News has learned.

23 US Representatives now total want Bush either to face an impeachment probe or to resign. US Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL) is the representative who has called for Bush’s resignation, according to a World Can’t Wait statement issued to Atlanta Progressive News.

Five (5) Members of US Congress signed on yesterday, February 07, 2006, including US Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA), Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), John Lewis (D-GA), Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), and Cynthia McKinney (D-GA), according to thomas.loc.gov.

Previously, Rep. Lewis had called for Bush’s impeachment over wiretapping–an offense not referenced in the bill by Rep. Conyers–but now appears to support a broader investigation.

Also, Rep. McKinney had previously signed the World Can’t Wait statement, but now appears to have stopped waiting for Mr. Bush to resign voluntarily.

Atlanta Progressive News has attempted to reach Rep. Lewis and McKinney’s offices, but they were not immediately available for comment. (We will be rushing out this article this morning out of an interest in timeliness; APN will add any comments from the Georgia delegation to directly to the copy of this article posted on our website.)

The current 22 total co-sponsors are Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI), Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Rep. Lois Capps (D-CA), Rep. William Lacy Clay (D-MO), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA), Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA), Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Rep. James Oberstar (D-MN), Rep. Major Owens (D-NY), Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Rep. Fortney Pete Stark (D-CA), Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), and Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA).

In December 2005, there were 231 Republicans in the US House, 202 Democrats, 1 Independent, and 1 vacancy, a clerk for the US House of Representatives told Atlanta Progressive News.

Thus, almost 11% of US House Democrats now support the impeachment probe; over 5% of all US House Representatives now support the probe.

This is beginning to mark a slow, steady shift towards an impeachment probe. Every few days or so, Atlanta Progressive News has announced new cosponsors for H. Res 635 as the separate debate over Bush’s authorization of illegal domestic wiretapping rages like wildfire.

Will House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) join the call? US Rep. Pelosi–who many look to for progressive leadership–told her San Francisco constituents on January 14, 2006, during a Town Hall Meeting, that she did not intend at the time to support H. Res 635, adding, "I think we should solve this electorally." Her remarks brought jeers and boos, according to The Los Angeles Times.

As reported last week, US Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) withdrew her name from H. Res 635, whereas she had been listed as a cosponsor throughout January 2006. Lofgren cited a clerical error for her name having been listed in the first place. Lofgren’s Office told Atlanta Progressive News the Representative learned of her being listed as a co-sponsor after reading an exclusive article by Atlanta Progressive News issued January 01, 2006.

The thing about H. Res. 635 is, it deals with impeaching Bush over a cluster of issues from misleading the public to go to war, to authorizing torture. Wiretapping was not listed as one of the reasons to investigate the grounds for Bush’s impeachment in the bill because the existence of the secret, illegal wiretapping had not come to light yet when the bill was being prepared.

It is unclear at this point whether Conyers or another member of Congress is prepared to introduce a new bill which would deal specifically with impeaching Bush over wiretapping.

In a sign that even Republicans will break ranks with Mr. Bush and his administration over the wiretapping issue, Rep. Heather Wilson (R-NM) has called for a full investigation into the matter in the US House of Representatives. Currently, the matter is being handled in the US Senate, but many feel the hearings are insufficient, especially because the Bush administration is stonewalling on information and access to documents.

"The President has his duty to do, but I have mine too, and I feel strongly about that," Rep. Wilson, who heads the House subcommittee overseeing the NSA, told the New York Times, yesterday.

Meanwhile, four out of ten Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee raised questions about illegal wiretapping during hearings this week.

"We cherish the great and noble principle of freedom, we will fight to keep it, and we will hold this President – and anyone who violates those freedoms – accountable for their actions," US Senator Russell Feingold (D-WI) said in an ominous Senate floor statement, issued yesterday to Atlanta Progressive News. Feingold, a 2008 Presidential contender, has been aggressive on this issue and has effectively debunked Bush’s arguments of constitutional or congressional authority to wiretap on Americans without a warrant from the FISA court.

Meanwhile, US Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA), a moderate Republican chairing the wiretapping hearings in the Senate, told George Stephanopoulos during a television program, impeachment would be the standard remedy, at least in theory, if Bush has broken the law.

"Well, the remedy could be a variety of things. A president — and I’m not suggesting remotely that there’s any basis, but you’re asking, really, theory, what’s the remedy? Impeachment is a remedy. After impeachment, you could have a criminal prosecution, but the principal remedy, George, under our society is to pay a political price," Senator Specter said on January 15, 2006.

Meanwhile, the first professional poll commissioned by a progressive news agency found that 54% of all 850 Pennsylvanian respondents supported impeachment of President Bush if his authorization of domestic wiretapping is concluded to be illegal. The poll was conducted by Zobgy International and was commissioned by Rob Kall, Editor of OpEdNews.

US Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) asked four legal scholars to analyze the grounds for Bush’s impeachment in December 2005. Perhaps these scholars’ opinions, in conjunction with US Senate hearings in progress this week, will allow for the spying’s legality or illegality to be concluded with more certainty.

H. Res 635 reads as its official title: "Creating a select committee to investigate the Administration's intent to go to war before congressional authorization, manipulation of pre-war intelligence, encouraging and countenancing torture, retaliating against critics, and to make recommendations regarding grounds for possible impeachment."

"In brief, we have found that there is substantial evidence the President, the Vice-President and other high ranking members of the Bush Administration misled Congress and the American people regarding the decision to go to war in Iraq; misstated and manipulated intelligence information regarding the justification for such war; countenanced torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in Iraq; and permitted inappropriate retaliation against critics of their Administration. There is at least a prima facie case that these actions that federal laws have been violated – from false statements to Congress to retaliating against Administration critics," Rep. Conyers said in a press release on December 20, 2005.

Atlanta Progressive News has provided near-exclusive–and during most times, exclusive–coverage of the progress of H. Res 635. We will continue to follow this story and any related developments.

Matthew Cardinale is the Editor of Atlanta Progressive News. He may be reached at matthew@atlantaprogressivenews.com

The present article is available on the Internet at: http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/pages/32/index.htm

See also:

US Rep. Lewis Calls for Bush Impeachment (December 26, 2005)

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/pages/13/index.htm

EXCLUSIVE: Bush Impeachment Inquiry Has 8 House CoSponsors (January 01, 2006)

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/pages/14/index.htm

EXCLUSIVE: 14 US Reps Want Impeachment Probe (February 01, 2006)

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/pages/29/index.htm

EXCLUSIVE: 17 US Reps Want Impeachment Probe (February 02, 2006)

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/pages/30/index.htm

Syndication policy: This article may be reprinted in full at no cost, where Atlanta Progressive News is credited.

Ah, say there hipster, where are the 22 Repubs you cited in the thread title? The only 22 pols that I see are listed in the article are Dems. Want to change the name of the thread, or am I wrong and there are 22 Repubs in there somewhere that I didn't see?

HR 635 has been referred to the House Rules Committee, which is made up of 8 Repubs and 4 Dems. Wonder if HR 635 will ever be reported out of this committee? Things will have to get a lot worse for Bush before this grandstanding sees the light of day. Won't say it can't happen, but sure seems unlikely just now.

So I guess you were hoping to ride the wave of that great campaign speech.....err, I mean eulogy huh professor?:2wave: :rofl

Let's just come out and show the forum how things go from "molehill" to mountain"...

I'm going to remove the text EXCEPT those pertaining to nothing concrete...Watch how these get misinterpreted as facts...

Reread the article and notice these phrases...in order...

an investigation that could lead to impeachment.

demanding a probe

but now appears to support a broader investigation.

but now appears to have stopped waiting

now support the impeachment probe;

now support the probe.

shift towards an impeachment probe.

that she did not intend at the time to support H. Res 635

It is unclear at this point

called for a full investigation into the matter

but many feel the hearings are insufficient,

and I feel strongly about that," Rep. Wilson

the Senate Judiciary Committee raised questions

impeachment would be the standard remedy, at least in theory, if Bush has broken the law.

the remedy could be a variety of things.

After impeachment, you could have a criminal prosecution

if his authorization of domestic wiretapping is concluded to be illegal.

Perhaps these scholars’ opinions,

"Creating a select committee to investigate
There are so many things here that could also NOT be true that whoever wrote this should be stabbed with his own pen...

If the author only included things that were facts and things that aren't needing an "investigation" or "probe" to discover the truth, this whole article could've been written on a Bazooka Joe wrapper...:roll:

And they wonder why journalism is dead...:(

Thank God somebody finally had the nerve to start an impeachment thread.......er, I mean,......nevermind.

The title of this thread is messed up.

:lol: It looks like hipster desrted his own thread. :lol: He couldn't bare the shame.

So we're gonna impeach Bush...and what? Have Cheney as president? Of course, Cheney's already embattled with the Valerie Plame scandal, so maybe we can impeach him too. I guess that puts the ball in Dennis Hastert's court...but he's in trouble for the Abramoff scandal. Next in line is Ted Stevens. You may remember him for the Bridge to Nowhere, and his funnelling Alaskan pork money to his family members. Next in the order of succession, Miss Condoleezza Rice, who lied to America about WMDs in Iraq. If we impeach her, that brings us to John Snow. He's clean to the best of my knowledge.

John Snow for President! :lol:

I know the Dems are still upset that there have only been 3 Presidents Impeached in all of U.S. history, all of them being Democrats and Slick Willey being the last convicted Felon Impeached, but do you think we can stop trying to take down our president during a time of war, stop calling our troops Nazis and genocidal terrorists, and maybe actually focus on doing something good for all of America instead of trying to tear this country apart for personal and party power?

This wiretapping crap is especially getting old, as it is not illegal, not been ruuled unconstitutional, and has been used (precedence) by both clinton and carter! This story is getting as old as Cheney's accident.

If there is any real news on this story, how about an update on who leaked this CLASSIFED program to the news, alerting the terrorist to what we were doing and weakening our defense against Al Qaeda? If it is one thing we learned from the Valerie Plame case, we have to prosecute whoever leaked classified information, especially when it weakens our national security!

I know the Dems are still upset that there have only been 3 Presidents Impeached in all of U.S. history, all of them being Democrats and Slick Willey being the last convicted Felon Impeached
OMG you're right! Only Democrats have been impeached, I'm gonna switch parties right now! :roll:

Ain't karmha a bit**? It's a wonder we get anything done in Washington at all.

Back
Top Bottom