• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

22% of Refugees in Minnesota Positive for TB...

Bringing crime and disease to a city near you.....way to go obozo!

Perhaps clear reading is in order

More than 70,000 refugees have been resettled in the United States annually for the past three decades by the federal government

Way to go Reagan, Bush and Bush 2

Well, Reagan is probably out of that, since he's been gone since Jan. '88, and the article wasn't specific about when the first decade began. However, you did leave out Bill Clinton. So in essence, Democrats have been entirely to blame for this.........and then the article goes on to say...
"It’s not just tuberculosis being brought in by these resettled refugees. Measles, whooping cough, diphtheria, and other diseases that were on their way to eradication are also coming in across the borders of the United States."

Allowing all these people in from Syria with a cursory screening and all the illegals in through the southern border, with no screening....is an absolute dereliction of duty on the part of all involved. obozo has only exacerbated the problem and should be impeached!

Reading IS in order....that same article citing 70000 refugees in 30 years also quite clearly makes the point that the increase in incidents have shown since 2014 and steadily increased every year since. It also shows the highest incidents in states with the largest percentages of illegal immigrants.

A few years back there was an apartment building in Falls Church that had been purchased to house refugees. it had to be torn down due to the high instance of disease. I dont care if you want o pretend its Reagan, either Bush...or whoever.

Use your brain...not your partisan bent. It has to stop.

Well, Reagan is probably out of that, since he's been gone since Jan. '88, and the article wasn't specific about when the first decade began. However, you did leave out Bill Clinton. So in essence, Democrats have been entirely to blame for this.........and then the article goes on to say...
"It’s not just tuberculosis being brought in by these resettled refugees. Measles, whooping cough, diphtheria, and other diseases that were on their way to eradication are also coming in across the borders of the United States."

Allowing all these people in from Syria with a cursory screening and all the illegals in through the southern border, with no screening....is an absolute dereliction of duty on the part of all involved. obozo has only exacerbated the problem and should be impeached!
It doesnt MATTER who is to blame. What MATTERS is that we are seeing the steady spread of a deadly airborne disease that kills more people worldwide than HIV.

What matters is that it is stopped.

It doesnt MATTER who is to blame. What MATTERS is that we are seeing the steady spread of a deadly airborne disease that kills more people worldwide than HIV.

What matters is that it is stopped.

Firstly, latent tb is not infectious.

Secondly, even with no treatment, only 5-10% of people with latent tb will go on to develop tb. So given your numbers in that year it works out to be around 700-1500 people. Half of those will develop full tb within 2 years. So we're looking at, worst case, where nobody is treated, 400 people getting TB in year one. In 2014 about 10,000 people get the disease per year, so those refugees would have accounted for 4% of all TB cases that year.

This was in 2014, so now two years on, I'm not sure I see the evidence of a TB epidemic bringing the country to its knees, so why are you getting your panties all in a twist?

EDIT: Also, Vance, statistics around HIV are misleading because HIV makes it easier for other diseases to kill you. IN fact, having HIV makes you much more likely to die from TB. So even though the cause of death might be TB, it might have only been life threatening due to HIV in the first place, so difficult to say whether HIV killed someone or TB did.

Last edited:

Secondly, even with no treatment, only 5-10% of people with latent tb will go on to develop tb. So given your numbers that works out to be around 700-1500 people. Half of that will be within 2 years. So we're looking at, worst case, where nobody is treated, 400 people getting TB in year one. In 2014 about 10,000 people get the disease per year, so those refugees would have accounted for 4% of all TB cases that year.

This was in 2014, so now two years on, I'm not sure I see the evidence of a TB epidemic bringing the country to its knees, so why are you getting your panties all in a twist?

STOP

let's not allow facts to get in the way of emotional masterbation

Bush and Reagan are not in the office right now are they? I noticed that you left Clinton out. You obviously are not concerned about the present situation of vetted immigration being overlooked due to the incompetence of the current administration. Just another crow on the partisan fence.

Bush and Reagan are not in the office right now are they? I noticed that you left Clinton out. You obviously are not concerned about the present situation of vetted immigration being overlooked due to the incompetence of the current administration. Just another crow on the partisan fence.

Or I was pointing out that the OP was blaming the current president for something that was occurring for 3 decades. Should Obama go back and stop the refugees from 10 years ago from coming into the US.

The OP was not concerned about the situation, just seeking to blame Obozo in his own words

Or I was pointing out that the OP was blaming the current president for something that was occurring for 3 decades. Should Obama go back and stop the refugees from 10 years ago from coming into the US.

The OP was not concerned about the situation, just seeking to blame Obozo in his own words

Omitting Clinton was obvious.

Omitting Clinton was obvious.

Yes it was and intentional, due to the probable nature of the OP.

Immigrants and refugee's are likely to have a higher level of disease.

When it comes to refugee's one can decide to be compassionate and seek to help them or leave them to be killed in their previous country. TB can be treated, so can the other diseases listed, death can not

When it comes to refugee's one can decide to be compassionate and seek to help them or leave them to be killed in their previous country. TB can be treated, so can the other diseases listed, death can not

The third choice: put them in temporary camps and kick them out when the reasons why they came here no longer apply.

TB can be treated. I just don't want it to be at my expense.

That 70k per year is not correct at all. that might be an average. But it varied a lot.
The peak over the last 40 years was at the end of the Carter administration. 207k refuges in 1980. That sharply dropped when Reagan was in and was in the 60s most of the years he was in. Still high but yea.
It jumped back up again over 100k per year during George H.W. Bush's administration and for a few years of the Clinton administration. and settled into the 70-80k range for most of Clintons administration.
It sharply dropped from about 70k in 2001 to 27k in 2002 under the Bush jr's administration averaging in the 40ks during his time. Its averaged about 70k during Obamas administration.
The ceiling ( how many are allowed is revisited regularly. for 2015 it was 70k but looks like its going to be raised to 85k.

The third choice: put them in temporary camps and kick them out when the reasons why they came here no longer apply.

Mighty Christian attitude

Again with the camps. What is it with conservatives and camps and fences and walls?
Is there anything, any circumstance, that would make you say, "Yes, let's help them. Let's give them what they need."
Anything?

Mighty Christian attitude

A. I am not a Christian. I am an atheist, so appealing to my Christianity is useless.

B. How many refugees, migrants, illegal aliens and legit immigrants (in millions) are you willing to take in and volunteer to contribute more in the federal income tax (in dollars) to pay for them?

If you blow this question off with some touchy-feely one-liner, or if you are unwilling to offer both numbers, you are a dishonest demagogue.

Last edited:
Again with the camps. What is it with conservatives and camps and fences and walls?
Is there anything, any circumstance, that would make you say, "Yes, let's help them. Let's give them what they need."
Anything?

Refugees are supposed to be temporary. They bring nothing of value, are unemployable and forever on welfare. They also bring TB and other s*** I don't want to catch. Hence, a camp. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

We should give a million in cash each after the last kid in the U.S. is taken care of, our debt paid off, and the budget balanced.

Unless, of course, you are a magician who can give what he does not have. Like money.

Now that I answered your questions, since you are a Christian, do you still believe in miracles, or did you wise up?

Last edited:

Secondly, even with no treatment, only 5-10% of people with latent tb will go on to develop tb. So given your numbers in that year it works out to be around 700-1500 people. Half of those will develop full tb within 2 years. So we're looking at, worst case, where nobody is treated, 400 people getting TB in year one. In 2014 about 10,000 people get the disease per year, so those refugees would have accounted for 4% of all TB cases that year.

EDIT: Also, Vance, statistics around HIV are misleading because HIV makes it easier for other diseases to kill you. IN fact, having HIV makes you much more likely to die from TB. So even though the cause of death might be TB, it might have only been life threatening due to HIV in the first place, so difficult to say whether HIV killed someone or TB did.

Because the spread of diseases has a parabolic curve to it? The numbers always start out small in the beginning. Why did we freak out about Ebola when no one in the U.S. contracted it in country? Why are we now freaking out about zika when it has also hardly effected anyone in country?

Because the spread of diseases has a parabolic curve to it? The numbers always start out small in the beginning. Why did we freak out about Ebola when no one in the U.S. contracted it in country? Why are we now freaking out about zika when it has also hardly effected anyone in country?

Great question. Why did everyone freak out over ebola. I eagerly await your response.

As to the rest of your post, I basically answered it in my post, this, in a worst possible case, is a fraction of the TB cases we already have. Net effect on causing nationwide endemic < 0.00001%

Those damn Jews - I mean Muslims - spreading disease and death....!

:roll:

Refugees are supposed to be temporary. They bring nothing of value, are unemployable and forever on welfare. They also bring TB and other s*** I don't want to catch. Hence, a camp. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

Stay away from them if you're that scared. Most refugees will go home sfter the fiasco there is straightened out, lots anyway. The ones that stay, well, you may not know it but first-generation immigrants are known to be energetic over-achievers despite what bigoted fear-mongers say.

We should give a million in cash each after the last kid in the U.S. is taken care of, our debt paid off, and the budget balanced.

Unless, of course, you are a magician who can give what he does not have. Like money.

Now that I answered your questions, since you are a Christian, do you still believe in miracles, or did you wise up?

Where did you get the idea I'm a Christian? Not from me. I'll believe in miracles the day a conservative tells me that someone in need should get help, no strings attached. Funny how the wealthier and more privileged the con is, the louder and more emphatic their rejection of the idea of charity, of anyone getting unearned benefits.

Back
Top Bottom