• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

21 kid infected with Measles in a single county.

CanadianJudo

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With the World health organization naming anti-vaxxer a major health threat it wasn't long before this stupidity put children in harms way as 21 children have been effected by measles in a single county.

There have been at least 22 confirmed case of measles in Clark County, Washington, and three more suspected cases, since Jan. 1. One adult has been infected with the highly contagious airborne disease, and most of the 21 children are age 10 or younger; one has been hospitalized. Nineteen of the people infected were not immunized against the disease, which — thanks to vaccines — was eliminated from the U.S. in 2000.

Clark County, which borders Portland, Oregon, has the lowest vaccination rate in Washington, with 77.4 percent of public school students having completed their vaccinations, The Oregonian reports. "The outbreak has hit religious and private schools in Clark County especially hard." Schools and a church have been identified as possible infection spots, and infected people also visited Portland International Airport, stores and restaurants, and a Jan. 11 Portland Trail Blazers game at Portland's Moda Center. No Oregonians have yet been diagnosed with measles.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8192...firmed-washington-county-near-portland-oregon

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Look, kids may suffer from pneumonia, deafness, encephalitis or death as a result of measles complications, but at least they won't have autism.

Fenton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
With the World health organization naming anti-vaxxer a major health threat it wasn't long before this stupidity put children in harms way as 21 children have been effected by measles in a single county.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8192...firmed-washington-county-near-portland-oregon

Anti-vaxxers are only a part of the problem. In 2000, Measles ( absence of continuous disease transmission for 12 months ) was declared eliminated in the US.

So whats changed over the last 20 years ? There are real consequences to not securing our Southern border, and real consequences for policies that incentized hundreds of thousands of central American children and families to start showing up at the Southern border in 2014

The US has seen a huge resurgence of dangerous and deadly infectious diseases over the last 20 years.
Tuberculosis is showing up in schools accross the Nation and being spread from student to student.

There is no effective vaccine for Tuberculosis. We used to screen immigrants and even quarantine them if needed, but it's impossible to screen illegal immigrants

Refugee populations also carry a disproportionate percentage of TB. The US Govt has put the implementation of a open borders agenda over the health and safety of Americans.

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
you-know-youre-a-90s-kid-when-your-vaccinations-were-5677383.jpg

It's unfortunate that these kids are going to have to suffer for their parent's ignorance. But perhaps we can start moving past the ignorant anti-vaxxer phase in our society.

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Look, kids may suffer from pneumonia, deafness, encephalitis or death as a result of measles complications, but at least they won't have autism.

It's easier to deal with a dead child than an autistic child, certainly.

...and that is the worst thing I think I have ever said on this site.

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Anti-vaxxers are only a part of the problem. In 2000, Measles ( absence of continuous disease transmission for 12 months ) was declared eliminated in the US.

So whats changed over the last 20 years ? There are real consequences to not securing our Southern border, and real consequences for policies that incentized hundreds of thousands of central American children and families to start showing up at the Southern border in 2014

The US has seen a huge resurgence of dangerous and deadly infectious diseases over the last 20 years.

Measles is not linked to immigration. 75% of illegal immigrants come from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and those 4 countries have vaccination rates comparable to the US. The problem is local populations refusing to vaccinate, not scary foreigners importing the disease.

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Tuberculosis is showing up in schools accross the Nation and being spread from student to student.

There is no effective vaccine for Tuberculosis. We used to screen immigrants and even quarantine them if needed, but it's impossible to screen illegal immigrants

Refugee populations also carry a disproportionate percentage of TB. The US Govt has put the implementation of a open borders agenda over the health and safety of Americans.

Did you REALLY try this? please list the following

how many illegals come from illegal secret passage on the southern border and what does that break down percentage wise
of that many whats their break down of origin and show those countries have a much lower vaccination rate for measles
and then you mention schools? are schools different in other states? cant go to public schools in PA with out vaccinations and being tested for TB, at least not my district

stop with the scare tactics . . while im SURE it contributes but its not the issue you are tryign to make it but the other thing that doesnt line up with your post the amount of NEW immigrants isnt even up didnt somebody post a chart just the other day showing NEW immigrants have been doping annually since 2000 (the chart only went to 2015 though)

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In 2000, Measles ( absence of continuous disease transmission for 12 months ) was declared eliminated in the US.

What a bunch of right wing BS, as usual... So you are claiming most of these 22 cases are illegal immigrants?! Please, provide a link for your baseless nonsense. Did you figure this out because you think illegals settle in Clark County, Washington? :lamo

Or maybe, just maybe, it could because Clark County has the lowest vaccination rate in Washington? (see the linked article in the OP)

Fenton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Did you REALLY try this? please list the following

how many illegals come from illegal secret passage on the southern border and what does that break down percentage wise
of that many whats their break down of origin and show those countries have a much lower vaccination rate for measles
and then you mention schools? are schools different in other states? cant go to public schools in PA with out vaccinations and being tested for TB, at least not my district

stop with the scare tactics . . while im SURE it contributes but its not the issue you are tryign to make it but the other thing that doesnt line up with your post the amount of NEW immigrants isnt even up didnt somebody post a chart just the other day showing NEW immigrants have been doping annually since 2000 (the chart only went to 2015 though)

Actually, school districts that screen for TB as a condition of enrollment are the exception, and the only one I know of is Fairfax County ISD in Virginia.

Fairfax implemented their screening policy this years after a TB outbreak at one of their High Schools. Truth is over the last 3 years there have been TB outbreaks in Schools accross the Nation and the resurgence of TB is directly related to immigration

According to the CDC, Foreign Born individuals were responsible for 68% of all reported TB cases in 2017, and Mexico is one of the top 5 Nations of origin for TB in the US
https://www.cdc.gov/features/burden-tb-us/index.html

That's just known active cases of TB, and doesn't include people who have latent TB.
The CDC estimates between 10 to 14 million people in the US are walking around with latent TB and 10% of those people will eventually develop the contagious form of the disease
If you don't think TBs a big deal, look up the treatments for both active and latent TB.
Latent is 3 months of taking 2 powerful antibiotics and treatment for active TB is 6 - 9 months with 4 medications and all of then have potentially dangerous side effects including liver failure

If you're HIV positive and contract active TB, or if you contract a multi-drug resistant strait of TB, you're pretty much **** out of luck

We used to screen immigrants, quarantine them because it was the responsible thing to do. Public safety came before partisan rhetoric and agenda, but now we're allowing in millions of unvetted immigrants ?

Have we gotten dumber as a people ? A Nation ? The resurgence of dangerous and deadly infectious diseases in the US isn't a political issue or at the point a immigration issue.
It's a public health issue and should be treated as such

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
1.) Actually, school districts that screen for TB as a condition of enrollment are the exception, and the only one I know of is Fairfax County ISD in Virginia.

Fairfax implemented their screening policy this years after a TB outbreak at one of their High Schools. Truth is over the last 3 years there have been TB outbreaks in Schools accross the Nation and the resurgence of TB is directly related to immigration

According to the CDC, Foreign Born individuals were responsible for 68% of all reported TB cases in 2017, and Mexico is one of the top 5 Nations of origin for TB in the US
https://www.cdc.gov/features/burden-tb-us/index.html

That's just known active cases of TB, and doesn't include people who have latent TB.
The CDC estimates between 10 to 14 million people in the US are walking around with latent TB and 10% of those people will eventually develop the contagious form of the disease
If you don't think TBs a big deal, look up the treatments for both active and latent TB.
Latent is 3 months of taking 2 powerful antibiotics and treatment for active TB is 6 - 9 months with 4 medications and all of then have potentially dangerous side effects including liver failure

If you're HIV positive and contract active TB, or if you contract a multi-drug resistant strait of TB, you're pretty much **** out of luck

We used to screen immigrants, quarantine them because it was the responsible thing to do. Public safety came before partisan rhetoric and agenda, but now we're allowing in millions of unvetted immigrants ?

Have we gotten dumber as a people ? A Nation ? The resurgence of dangerous and deadly infectious diseases in the US isn't a political issue or at the point a immigration issue.
It's a public health issue and should be treated as such

1.) so you are claiming theres only two in the who country?
2.) weird NONE of that answers my questions and supports your hyperbole . . when you can answer my questions please let me know, thanks

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If your post is meant as a comfort, it failed miserably. Implying that death is better than autism is reprehensible.

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I believe you. It’s a total **** thing to say. There’s something seriously wrong with you and spud_meister.

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Vaccination should be required for admission to any public or private school nationwide. That would go a long way towards fixing this problem.

pilot16

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Vaccination should be required for admission to any public or private school nationwide. That would go a long way towards fixing this problem.

In many places it is. However home schooling and religious freedom laws restrict that. Its a new world I guess. Europe is also now struggling with anti vaxxers.

OlNate

Shameless Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Dayum!

But no, "I like Trump" was worse... ;) :lol: (<--emojis to indicate kidding)

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I believe you. It’s a total **** thing to say. There’s something seriously wrong with you and spud_meister.

Indeed. I do have a rather dark sense of humor when it comes to dealing with serious issues. I genuinely cannot fathom the mindset of anyone who would risk their children becoming infirm or dying (or by extension, other unrelated children dying) just so they do not have to deal with raising a child with autism. And I would say it is an unacceptable risk even if it were found that vaccines were a major causal factor for the onset of autism spectrum disorder, which they are not.*

Rosie1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Having worked at a local health agency for years, I don't have anything good to say about parents who deliberately don't vaccinate their kids.

As I told my crazy conspiracy theory cousin,"do you think our grandparents would have hesitated vaccinating their sons for Polio, if there were a vaccine available then? If there had been, we would have one more uncle."

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In many places it is. However home schooling and religious freedom laws restrict that. Its a new world I guess. Europe is also now struggling with anti vaxxers.

If they make the decision to put their kids at risk by not vaccinating, they can home school them. A poor decision like that should not put other kids in school at risk.

Last edited:

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Indeed. I do have a rather dark sense of humor when it comes to dealing with serious issues. I genuinely cannot fathom the mindset of anyone who would risk their children becoming infirm or dying (or by extension, other unrelated children dying) just so they do not have to deal with raising a child with autism. And I would say it is an unacceptable risk even if it were found that vaccines were a major causal factor for the onset of autism spectrum disorder, which they are not.*
Yep, that’s a pretty dark sense of humor.

pilot16

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If they make the decision to put their kids at risk by not baccinating, they can home school them. A poor decision like that should not put other kids in school at risk.

But thats still bad. Home schooled kids still leave their homes and interact all over. So even allowing that we still have these issues. The Orthodox Jewish community who often have their own schools, doesnt vaccinate against Measles and they spread it all over. They were responsible for a big outbreak on the east coast.

https://www.precisionvaccinations.c...ets-and-direct-contact-respiratory-secretions

pilot16

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I found out a few years ago that I worked with a person whose parents never vaccinated them as a child. 5 workers came down with measles and had been vaccinated as children. Now I have seen doctors say that some people need a booster as they age. I believe the CDC now recommends two doses for minors today. Many of us older people should check to see if we need a booster shot as we age. Many of us only had one as a child.

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
But thats still bad. Home schooled kids still leave their homes and interact all over. So even allowing that we still have these issues. The Orthodox Jewish community who often have their own schools, doesnt vaccinate against Measles and they spread it all over. They were responsible for a big outbreak on the east coast.

https://www.precisionvaccinations.c...ets-and-direct-contact-respiratory-secretions

It's not a complete solution, but it's probably as close as we're going to get.

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

I should point out that not all Orthodox Jews refuse to vaccinate their children. Most apparently do, and the Orthodox Jewish Community, like any religious sect, is hardly one unified monolithic body. It appears that every sub-community has their own foibles and practices. But it doesn't take a particularly huge number of people to refuse to vaccinate their children for outbreaks to occur.

Last edited:

TheGoverness

Little Miss Sunshine
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

I don't get it, either.

Top Bottom