• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2022 NFL Draft

Here's a grid of rankings. No surprise that PFF loved the Chiefs. They picked four players from the PFF top 25. The range is very divided about Seattle.

FRrlRJRWYAAlDBt
It makes sense that all the teams who had at least two first rounders did well. The wide inconsistency in ranking the other teams is emblematic of what was a very murky draft class. Draft grades are useless without delving into the context of why a team chose a player when they did. Ranking the Broncos and Browns without including Wilson and Watson doesn’t make sense. The problem is the people doing the rankings have their preferences of players who may or may not fit in with the needs or scheme fit of a team. They are also unaware of future contracts of current players. They are looking more about hiw good a player is now whereas teams are projecting for the future.

I’m inclined to think whoever gave a D or F grade hasn’t looked deeply enough into the players or situation.

It would be foolish to spend a valuable draft pick on a QB in this years draft. What's the point of getting a QB who might or might not be a slight upgrade to those guys? They are gonna end up getting Mayfield anyway.

Hell to the no.

Hell to the no.
I don’t blame you. I do think Baker would be a significant upgrade. I can’t imagine the Hawks are going to go with Lock. I think Baker gets a little bit of a bad rap. He brings it upon himself for sure. If he is healthy he’s a solid QB. I’d prefer to wait and hopefully get a long term answer in next years draft.

It would be foolish to spend a valuable draft pick on a QB in this years draft. What's the point of getting a QB who might or might not be a slight upgrade to those guys? They are gonna end up getting Mayfield anyway.

There is no reason to think ab out the Seahawks getting Baker Mayfield. If they wanted to do that, it obviously would have happened Thursday night.

Since when has the middle of the second round been a high pick for selecting a QB? Kenny Pickett was considered a late pick at #20 overall because he is a QB.

There is no reason to think ab out the Seahawks getting Baker Mayfield. If they wanted to do that, it obviously would have happened Thursday night.

Since when has the middle of the second round been a high pick for selecting a QB? Kenny Pickett was considered a late pick at #20 overall because he is a QB.
Pete knows that Bakers options have dwindled. He knows Cleveland is desperate right now to get rid of him. It could still happen. Do you really think they are gonna start the year with Drew Lock or Geno Smith? They are gonna bring in someone. Maybe Gardner Minchew or Jimmy G. Maybe Foles.

It makes sense that all the teams who had at least two first rounders did well. The wide inconsistency in ranking the other teams is emblematic of what was a very murky draft class. Draft grades are useless without delving into the context of why a team chose a player when they did. Ranking the Broncos and Browns without including Wilson and Watson doesn’t make sense. The problem is the people doing the rankings have their preferences of players who may or may not fit in with the needs or scheme fit of a team. They are also unaware of future contracts of current players. They are looking more about how good a player is now whereas teams are projecting for the future.

I’m inclined to think whoever gave a D or F grade hasn’t looked deeply enough into the players or situation.

It has nothing to do with that. All rookies start their careers with four-year contracts. Up to 32 have a chance to get a fifth year, which is a fixed dollar amount, three years after being drafted, depending on their health and performance. So when players are picked, only one thing matters: how good are they right now.

I don’t blame you. I do think Baker would be a significant upgrade. I can’t imagine the Hawks are going to go with Lock. I think Baker gets a little bit of a bad rap. He brings it upon himself for sure. If he is healthy he’s a solid QB. I’d prefer to wait and hopefully get a long term answer in next years draft.

If Seattle does sign him it will be for a fraction of what he is making. Cleveland has nowhere to trade him to now. @17 Million per, not worth it. If they cut him, then he might be worth a look see.

It makes sense that all the teams who had at least two first rounders did well. The wide inconsistency in ranking the other teams is emblematic of what was a very murky draft class. Draft grades are useless without delving into the context of why a team chose a player when they did. Ranking the Broncos and Browns without including Wilson and Watson doesn’t make sense. The problem is the people doing the rankings have their preferences of players who may or may not fit in with the needs or scheme fit of a team. They are also unaware of future contracts of current players. They are looking more about hiw good a player is now whereas teams are projecting for the future.

East Coast reporters have no clue that Carson is likely done. They think Walker was picked too high in the 2nd. Neck injuries are tricky. ESPECIALLY for battering rams like Carson. Penny is good, but the guy gets hurt getting off the bus.

East Coast reporters have no clue that Carson is likely done. They think Walker was picked too high in the 2nd. Neck injuries are tricky. ESPECIALLY for battering rams like Carson. Penny is good, but the guy gets hurt getting off the bus.
He gets hurt getting on the bus as well.

Buffalo did good drafting punter, Matt Araiza. He's one of San Diego's finest. :)

Buffalo did good drafting punter, Matt Araiza. He's one of San Diego's finest. :)
The Hawks spent a 5th round pick a few years back for Michael Dickson. People panned the idea. The guy is a beast. Well worth it IMO.

He’s a great fit for the Bills. They didn’t need a super accurate punter because they’ll be going for it on 4th a lot near the 50. If I had Josh Allen as my QB I’d rarely be punting if it was 2 or 3 yards to get. Araiza can flip the field when they kick from their own 20. The Bills roster is stacked so they could afford a luxury pick.

The media is confused about why the nation's best punter was the last one picked.
There were four great punters who were drafted. I heard Araiza isn’t a great holder which is something he’ll probably be asked to do. There were more accurate punters who also had strong legs.

There were four great punters who were drafted. I heard Araiza isn’t a great holder which is something he’ll probably be asked to do. There were more accurate punters who also had strong legs.

He won the 2021 Ray Guy Award, so obviously none of the other punters are as good at kicking footballs. I also heard he can kick off.

He won the 2021 Ray Guy Award, so obviously none of the other punters are as good at kicking footballs. I also heard he can kick off.
Evaluators in the NFL don’t care about awards. He may have a huge leg but he wasn’t the top kicker regarding net yards or accuracy. He was down the list regarding forcing fair catches. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach for 9 years and picked Jordan Stout 50 picks before Araiza. Many scouts had Stout as the number one punter. Stout is a more well rounded punter and also has a huge leg. He is used to kicking in cold weather. I don’t get the Kamarda pick in the 4th by the Bucks.

Most of Araiza’s yardage came from kicking the ball over the head of the returner and getting the roll. This won’t happen in the NFL. Speedy punt returners will be licking their chops catching these line drive low hang time punts.

I could be wrong, but Araiza feels like the John Ross of punters. I do like his fit in Buffalo.

just saw that the QB drafted by the panthers received a wonderlic score of 15
by comparison, brady is indicated to have scored 35

give me some hope. share some low wonderlic scores of QBs who went on to have productive careers

just saw that the QB drafted by the panthers received a wonderlic score of 15
by comparison, brady is indicated to have scored 35

give me some hope. share some low wonderlic scores of QBs who went on to have productive careers
22 is about the lowest successful QB. That was Favre. Tua had a 13 and Vince Young had a 6.

Now that the draft is done, how about posting some RoY predictions, one for offense and one for defense.

Here are some stats.

Offense:
  • Since 2000 - 9 RB, 9 QB, 4 WR
  • Last 10 years - 4 RB, 4 QB, 2 WR
  • No OL or TE has ever won but there have been two FB, both in the 1970s
  • In the first 37 years of the award, only one QB was chosen. Since then there are nine, starting with Ben Roethlisberger in 2003.
Defense:
  • Since 2000 - 13 LB, 4 Edge/DE, 3 DT, 2 CB
  • Last 10 years - 3 LB, 3 Edge/DE, 2 DT, 2 CB
  • More MLB/ILB have won than OLB and some are listed only LB, notably Micah Parsons last season
  • Four CB won in the first ten years, but only one in the next 35 years, Charles Woodson in 1998
  • Two safeties have won but not since Mark Carrier in 1990

Now that the draft is done, how about posting some RoY predictions, one for offense and one for defense.

Here are some stats.

Offense:
  • Since 2000 - 9 RB, 9 QB, 4 WR
  • Last 10 years - 4 RB, 4 QB, 2 WR
  • No OL or TE has ever won but there have been two FB, both in the 1970s
  • In the first 37 years of the award, only one QB was chosen. Since then there are nine, starting with Ben Roethlisberger in 2003.
Defense:
  • Since 2000 - 13 LB, 4 Edge/DE, 3 DT, 2 CB
  • Last 10 years - 3 LB, 3 Edge/DE, 2 DT, 2 CB
  • More MLB/ILB have won than OLB and some are listed only LB, notably Micah Parsons last season
  • Four CB won in the first ten years, but only one in the next 35 years, Charles Woodson in 1998
  • Two safeties have won but not since Mark Carrier in 1990

Garrett Wilson and Adian Hutchinson

Back
Top Bottom