• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2022 Midterm Question: What are your top 3 concerns/issues?

Your Top Three Issues for the 2022 Midterms

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Please read each option carefully before answering. Here are your options:

Economy - Inflation is at a 40-year high. Gas prices are at record highs. We have massive shortages in the service and trucking industry. These concerns have many people believe a recession is on the horizon. This option is for people who are concerned about the status of the economy and stock market.

COVID-19 - Even though Dr. Fauci says we're no longer in a pandemic phase, you still feel America needs to keep their eye on the ball. You support candidates that will protect our community and families from the deadly virus. Vaccines, masks, and discovering new ways to combat and detect the coronavirus are on your mind.

Ineffective and Corrupt Leadership - It's all about the state of our nation's top leaders. You believe the incumbents are doing an extremely poor job. Whether it is Biden-Pelosi-Schumer on the left or Trump-McCarthy-McConnell on the right. Corrupt and incompetent leadership is dragging our country downward.

Health-Care - This option is for people who want to see a public option, medicare-for-all, or want to see a more market-based (Conservative) approach to our medical needs.

National Security - You're concerned about our government's ability to protect its borders. This means against potential terrorists, gangs, drug cartels, and illegal aliens.

Climate Change - No longer called "Global Warming". You're concerned about clean water, clean air, the status of our national parks, and the impact humans have on our environment.

Racial and Gender Equality - This option is for people who believe women and minorities are under attack in America. More civil rights protection laws are desperately needed to curb the issue.

Education - You feel our schools are getting too woke for their own good and are not addressing the major deficiencies within our public school systems.

Social Security and Retirement - You're concerned about the status of social security and the ability to retire in peace.

Last edited:
"It's the economy, stupid" followed by Bad Leadership in Biden and Congress, then followed by Education that is turning into a further mess.

I picked economy, national security and education, but would add crime if given a 4th choice.

I picked economy, national security and education, but would add crime if given a 4th choice.
I voted for economy, covid and bad leadership. If DP allowed me to add more than 10 options, I would have put in crime. My choices are based on the top issues based on polls and what happened during 2021 election.

The open border issue has to be the # 1 issue. Something like a million + illegal aliens acrossed the border in the last year. With title 42 ending it's predicted a major increase of illegal crossings. The Biden administration has failed a primary duty to keep our borders secure! One more reason the Democrats will be voted out of office soon.

I really have no concern about issues as they stand right now. POTUS has no control over inflation because of the pandemic or the Ukraine war.
It is a world wide issue and will still be here after the midterms

I would like to see climate change being addressed more than it has though

My major concern is that all of these GQP candidates will be elected and we will have more kooks like Cawthorn, MTG, Gaetz, etc. and McCarthy will be house speaker o_O

Last edited:
We don't have midterm elections here in Austria, but we have the Presidential election a few weeks before your elections.

The incumbent president is Alexander Van der Bellen, a former Green Party leader, who defeated far-right populist candidate Norbert Hofer in 2016 by about 54-46.

Van der Bellen has not yet announced if he will run for re-election, but all indications are that he will and announce by the summer.

apaheerlechner.jpg

VdB is pretty popular and since the mainstream parties will not run candidates on their own if he runs again, his opponents will mostly come from the far-right (except for Marco Pogo, from the satirical Beer Party).

The most likely opponent for VdB from the far-right FPÖ will be Susanne Fürst, because the FPÖ wants to try the Marine Le Pen strategy here (which failed in France).

Economy - Inflation is at a 40-year high. Gas prices are at record highs. We have massive shortages in the service and trucking industry. These concerns have many people believe a recession is on the horizon. This option is for people who are concerned about the status of the economy and stock market.

COVID-19 - Even though Dr. Fauci says we're no longer in a pandemic phase, you still feel America needs to keep their eye on the ball. You support candidates that will protect our community and families from the deadly virus. Vaccines, masks, and discovering new ways to combat and detect the coronavirus are on your mind.

Ineffective and Corrupt Leadership - It's all about the state of our nation's top leaders. You believe the incumbents are doing an extremely poor job. Whether it is Biden-Pelosi-Schumer on the left or Trump-McCarthy-McConnell on the right. Corrupt and incompetent leadership is dragging our country downward.

Health-Care - This option is for people who want to see a public option, medicare-for-all, or want to see a more market-based (Conservative) approach to our medical needs.

National Security - You're concerned about our government's ability to protect its borders. This means against potential terrorists, gangs, drug cartels, and illegal aliens.

Climate Change - No longer called "Global Warming". You're concerned about clean water, clean air, the status of our national parks, and the impact humans have on our environment.

Racial and Gender Equality - This option is for people who believe women and minorities are under attack in America. More civil rights protection laws are desperately needed to curb the issue.

Education - You feel our schools are getting too woke for their own good and are not addressing the major deficiencies within our public school systems.

Social Security and Retirement - You're concerned about the status of social security and the ability to retire in peace.
My number one concern is the bad leadership of the republicans in congress Their obstruction is costing the nation every single day in many ways.

Second is HealthCare. It should be a right, not a privilege.

Third is the Environment, for obvious reasons.

We don't have midterm elections here in Austria, but we have the Presidential election a few weeks before your elections.

The incumbent president is Alexander Van der Bellen, a former Green Party leader, who defeated far-right populist candidate Norbert Hofer in 2016 by about 54-46.

Van der Bellen has not yet announced if he will run for re-election, but all indications are that he will and announce by the summer.

apaheerlechner.jpg

VdB is pretty popular and since the mainstream parties will not run candidates on their own if he runs again, his opponents will mostly come from the far-right (except for Marco Pogo, from the satirical Beer Party).

The most likely opponent for VdB from the far-right FPÖ will be Susanne Fürst, because the FPÖ wants to try the Marine Le Pen strategy here (which failed in France).

The Austrian President is mostly a figurehead representative (the actual governing power is with the Chancellor, government and parliament).

My main concerns/issues therefore are that Austria doesn't elect a far-right crazy person, but either re-elect VdB or elect Marco Pogo (lol).

Susanne Fürst from the far-right FPÖ is not exactly a lunatic Neo-Nazi like Le Pen or her father and she hasn't made highly critical comments (she's a lawyer), but electing her would still be pretty bad for our image abroad and her party might influence her to take a hardline approach as President.

95035850-B19-D-4474-9802-BD2-A51-D5-EACA.jpg

As an Austrian, I selected the following 3 poll options for our Presidential election:

# bad leadership: Austria must not elect a far-right president
# national security: the far-right FPÖ are Putin bootlickers, must be kept out of office
# racial/ethnic tensions: electing a far-right politician would create further tensions

I will be voting Democrat for the following reasons (in order of importance):

1. I want Joe Biden to be able to appoint people to judicial and executive positions.

2. I don't want stupid stunts like shutting down the government and playing chicken with the debt ceiling.

3. A Democratic Congress is more likely to expand immigration opportunities for skilled workers.

It's not that bad, I work in south Austin

It’s worse than in Uhland, TX.

Nope, but it is getting worse in nearby Austin.
I live in Austin half the year. Crime is not bad compared to other big cities. There does seem to be a big uptick in homelessness though.

I live in Austin half the year. Crime is not bad compared to other big cities. There does seem to be a big uptick in homelessness though.

According to the following link, Austin, TX is safer than 6% of US cities.

Other: fixing our democracy. No other policies can be addressed until you fix that first.

I would love to know what they consider to be a "city" because that seems hard to believe. It's the 11th biggest city in the country, and there's no way it's crime is on par with places like Detroit, St Louis, Baltimore, etc.

I have a top two (neither listed) - the open border and crime. For me, those top all the others by a lot.

After those, I'm worried about education (from an indoctrination standpoint), election security/integrity, and the economy (inflation in particular).

I have a top two (neither listed) - the open border and crime. For me, those top all the others by a lot.

After those, I'm worried about education (from an indoctrination standpoint), election security/integrity, and the economy (inflation in particular).
That's a very good point. How to ensure it though is hard to figure out when you have the foxes guarding the hen house.

Respectfully, I think the poll hardly makes (current) sense without the issues of crime and immigration included. I just went and looked at a number of recent polls on RCP, and both of those are falling into the top 5 in nearly every poll asking the "most important issues" question.

Because they are comparing it to all cities. Of course a town of 2000 people is safer than Austin. If you look all the big cities have single digit %

That's a very good point. How to ensure it though is hard to figure out when you have the foxes guarding the hen house.
We sure need to ensure it, though! Just like with speech, both sides deserve an equally free voice and both sides need to be assured there has only been one legal vote placed per eligible voter (who chose/decided to place it).

Back
Top Bottom