• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2022 Midterm Question: What are your top 3 concerns/issues?

Your Top Three Issues for the 2022 Midterms

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because they are comparing it to all cities. Of course a town of 2000 people is safer than Austin. If you look all the big cities have single digit %

Which was my original point - Austin, TX, like many (most?) bigger cities, has a much higher crime rate than smaller ‘cities’ like Uhland, TX do.

We sure need to ensure it, though! Just like with speech, both sides deserve an equally free voice and both sides need to be assured there has only been one legal vote placed per eligible voter (who chose/decided to place it).
I think simplicity is always the way to go. First is ID. Second is in person voting unless you have a valid reason why you can't and then being responsible to apply for an absentee ballot that you alone can process to return. For starters.

Other. Bad leadership. Economy.

The other and bad leadership both go together. I will elect only those who I fell will support the impeachment of China Joe the idiot pedo!

Which was my original point - Austin, TX, like many (most?) bigger cities, has a much higher crime rate than smaller ‘cities’ like Uhland, TX do.

Which brings us back to my orginal question, if Austin is still safer than most big cities and you live in a small town will little crime, why is crime so high on your voting priorities?

I think simplicity is always the way to go. First is ID. Second is in person voting unless you have a valid reason why you can't and then being responsible to apply for an absentee ballot that you alone can process to return. For starters.

There are no poll watchers to ensure who made the ballot choices on a mail-in ballot.

Absolutely!

Which brings us back to my orginal question, if Austin is still safer than most big cities and you live in a small town will little crime, why is crime so high on your voting priorities?

One of my girlfriend’s daughters lives there.

True, but I think that's just the tradeoff you choose to make if you live in a big city. You trade higher crime rates and higher cost of living for more excitement and more job opportunities. It's not for everyone. But I don't think Austin is especially dangerous compared to its peer cities.

There has, however, been a noticeable uptick in crime rates across the board in the past few years. I agree that it's fair to be concerned about that, and to look for political solutions to that problem.

Please read each option carefully before answering. Here are your options:

Economy - Inflation is at a 40-year high. Gas prices are at record highs. We have massive shortages in the service and trucking industry. These concerns have many people believe a recession is on the horizon. This option is for people who are concerned about the status of the economy and stock market.

COVID-19 - Even though Dr. Fauci says we're no longer in a pandemic phase, you still feel America needs to keep their eye on the ball. You support candidates that will protect our community and families from the deadly virus. Vaccines, masks, and discovering new ways to combat and detect the coronavirus are on your mind.

Ineffective and Corrupt Leadership - It's all about the state of our nation's top leaders. You believe the incumbents are doing an extremely poor job. Whether it is Biden-Pelosi-Schumer on the left or Trump-McCarthy-McConnell on the right. Corrupt and incompetent leadership is dragging our country downward.

Health-Care - This option is for people who want to see a public option, medicare-for-all, or want to see a more market-based (Conservative) approach to our medical needs.

National Security - You're concerned about our government's ability to protect its borders. This means against potential terrorists, gangs, drug cartels, and illegal aliens.

Climate Change - No longer called "Global Warming". You're concerned about clean water, clean air, the status of our national parks, and the impact humans have on our environment.

Racial and Gender Equality - This option is for people who believe women and minorities are under attack in America. More civil rights protection laws are desperately needed to curb the issue.

Education - You feel our schools are getting too woke for their own good and are not addressing the major deficiencies within our public school systems.

Social Security and Retirement - You're concerned about the status of social security and the ability to retire in peace.

Democracy, democracy, and democracy.

Also healthcare and bad leadership from the obstructionist Republicans. Leave Obamacare alone!

3. A Democratic Congress is more likely to expand immigration opportunities for skilled workers.

I don't see that happening. Democrats support policies which reduce competition in the labor market, as that is the purpose of unions, occupational licensing schemes, minimum wage laws, etc.

Allowing more skilled workers in would increase competition in the labor market.

I don't see that happening. Democrats support policies which reduce competition in the labor market, as that is the purpose of unions, occupational licensing schemes, minimum wage laws, etc.

Allowing more skilled workers in would increase competition in the labor market.
Unions are definitely an obstructionist force when it comes to immigration. IMO the best bet to expanding skilled immigration (in the short-term) is probably to focus on industries that are mostly non-unionized and high-paying jobs, like software developers and certain types of engineers. But I agree, we definitely need to loosen up occupational licensing and allow more skilled workers of all types to compete in the labor market.

Respectfully, I think the poll hardly makes (current) sense without the issues of crime and immigration included. I just went and looked at a number of recent polls on RCP, and both of those are falling into the top 5 in nearly every poll asking the "most important issues" question.
Crime is actually a state/city/town issue

Immigration reform has been totally ignored for 40+ years and that is the fault of Congress on both sides.
They almost had a deal until the freedom caucus totally dismantled it most recently and the GOP sabotaged the deal under Bush

Congress needs to get off their ****en asses and do their job

Interesting Illegal Immigration is not on the list other than the 'other' selection

Bad leadership in the republicans, health care - a lot of medicines way too high, and social security - its working well for me but I worry about people that are coming up on retirement. Climate change is right up there too, but only so many choices.

I don't see that happening. Democrats support policies which reduce competition in the labor market,
as that is the purpose of unions, occupational licensing schemes, minimum wage laws, etc.
1651338749662.png

Can’t see really how any of these issues will be addressed on Federal level one way or the other. The Dems haven’t done much since Biden’s inauguration despite the shrieking from the right. The GOP demonstrated a complete lack of interest in governing the last time they held congress.

Republicans are far more effective at a state level as the examples of Florida and Texas show. If the Dems lose one or both of the house and senate, expect grandstanding shutdowns and toothless investigations. Little will be done about the poll options except for plenty of bitching from both camps.

Unions are definitely an obstructionist force when it comes to immigration. IMO the best bet to expanding skilled immigration (in the short-term) is probably to focus on industries that are mostly non-unionized and high-paying jobs, like software developers and certain types of engineers. But I agree, we definitely need to loosen up occupational licensing and allow more skilled workers of all types to compete in the labor market.
i hope you rePukelicans are enjoying the weekend that the LEFT gave us...
-peace

i hope you rePukelicans are enjoying the weekend that the LEFT gave us...
I'm not a Republican and I have no idea what this has to do with my post on skilled immigration. Did you mean to reply to someone else?

Back
Top Bottom