• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

2020 Debates--First debate,

Jay59

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here is the schedule. This thread is for the first debate.

Sept. 29 - First Presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio. Chris Wallace will moderate.
Oct. 7 - Vice Presidential debate in Salt Lake City, Utah. Susan Page will moderate.
Oct. 15 - Second Presidential debate in Miami, Florida. Steve Scully will moderate.
Oct. 22 - Third Presidential debate in Nashville, Tennessee. Kristen Welker will moderate.

I'm looking forward to this. The VP debate looks interesting as well.

Here is the schedule. This thread is for the first debate.

Sept. 29 - First Presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio. Chris Wallace will moderate.
Oct. 7 - Vice Presidential debate in Salt Lake City, Utah. Susan Page will moderate.
Oct. 15 - Second Presidential debate in Miami, Florida. Steve Scully will moderate.
Oct. 22 - Third Presidential debate in Nashville, Tennessee. Kristen Welker will moderate.

I look forward to Wallace's debate. He's been my favorite pundit lately.

It would be great if the debates had instant fact checks scrolling below. Biden is all for it....Trump, not so much.

I'd love instant fact checking done on the spot.

Can we all agree that Judge Judy would be the best fact checker? "Baloney, Sir. Baloney!"

I look forward to Wallace's debate. He's been my favorite pundit lately.
It will be interesting. Wallace is no fan of Trump's, but neither is he one of Biden's.

It will be interesting. Wallace is no fan of Trump's, but neither is he one of Biden's.

I get the feeling that he is more a fan of Biden's than he is of Trump's... Maybe the debates will change his mind.

I get the feeling that he is more a fan of Biden's than he is of Trump's... Maybe the debates will change his mind.

Wallace is pissed that Biden wouldn't give him an exclusive interview. He declared that Biden "was hiding" all the while there are mountains of Biden interviews on Youtube.

:lulz:

That's one word for it. Harris vs Pence is going to be HILARIOUS.

Yes, the VP debate should be really interesting.

We know that Ms. Harris can be nasty.

We also know that Mr. Pence usually keeps his cool.

It won't change any minds, but it will be entertaining.

The first (and probably only) presidential debate will be very sad.

Mr. Biden is simply not mentally or physically up to debating. It is not his fault. No one asks to become mentally or physically frail.

I hope that Mr. Trump does not savage him too much. He should show some compassion, which might win him a few votes from Independents.

(I notice that some Dems are already trying to lay the groundwork for canceling the debates by claiming that presidential debates are no longer necessary every four years.)

To do immediate fact checks I suppose they'd have to consult the internet. :lamo

Since Trump has a tendency to repeat himself ...the fact checking has already been done. All they have to do is press a button and the correct fact check crawls below while he's rambling on...and on...and on...

I hope he brags about his "Bay of Pigs Award". :lamo

Biden debating TRump is a big mistake.

You cannot win a debate with a liar.

Look at all the message boards today... it is no longer about what side of the issue you are on, it is that the truth is no longer truth.

People fight about what truth is.

You cannot win a debate in such a world.

Biden should simply not debate and state the reason, because Trump is a pathological liar so there is no point.

Since Trump has a tendency to repeat himself ...the fact checking has already been done. All they have to do is press a button and the correct fact check crawls below while he's rambling on...and on...and on...

I hope he brags about his "Bay of Pigs Award". :lamo

Lol. Could be. But I've always wondered who fact checks the fact checkers?

They are both articulate.

They both represent different points of view.

Each has his/her (I refuse to use "their") own fans & "non-fans."

One of them (sadly) may become President sooner than we expect. So I am guessing that SHE will act rather presidential.

I, however, will not be watching. This senior citizen goes to bed very early. I hope to watch highlights the next day on FOX (of course).

Have a nice day!

They are both articulate.

They both represent different points of view.

Each has his/her (I refuse to use "their") own fans & "non-fans."

One of them (sadly) may become President sooner than we expect. So I am guessing that SHE will act rather presidential.

I, however, will not be watching. This senior citizen goes to bed very early. I hope to watch highlights the next day on FOX (of course).

Have a nice day!

Nice post, thanks... I do find it...disturbing that you would watch highlights the next day on FOX.

With all respect, sincerely, that is a different universe than is reality over there.

Peace

BTW, what time do you typically turn in? I try my damnedest to stay up to at least 10 but often fail.

BTW, what time do you typically turn in? I try my damnedest to stay up to at least 10 but often fail.

Usually by 4 p.m. (I kid you not.)

I usually rise at 1 a.m. (Pacific time)

I eat breakfast at 3 a.m. while watching a few minutes of "Fox & Friends." (Four years ago, I used to eat breakfast with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," but I have never watched it since the Honorable Donald Trump became president and Joe & his bride started savaging our great President.)

Usually by 4 p.m. (I kid you not.)

I usually rise at 1 a.m. (Pacific time)

I eat breakfast at 3 a.m. while watching a few minutes of "Fox & Friends." (Four years ago, I used to eat breakfast with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," but I have never watched it since the Honorable Donald Trump became president and Joe & his bride started savaging our great President.)

The show has defiantly gone to hell.

It's all women's rights and black power now.

Oh, and the gratuitous hate TRump stuff, agree.

I will say, Joe was fair as hell to Donald to start out. (as was I) Joe even got **** all the time for not ripping into Trump.

When Donny was elected and neglected to put on his big boy pants as I and many thought he would, Joe went overboard.

Did Trump come out and say he opposes fact checking? I wouldn't be surprised, but I am curious if he did.

Hard to say...I just know that he's not practicing for the debate and Biden is. Which suggests that Trump doesn't care about facts and will probably use his bully pulpit to bully, name call and lie....which is something he's very good at.

They should probably put Trump in a plexiglass box so that he doesn't invade Biden's space like he did to Hillary.

After his Nevada rally, Trump himself could be a super spreader.....and Biden would be wise to forgo the elbow bump. Who knows what kind of poison Trump has up his sleeve.

Biden debating TRump is a big mistake. You cannot win a debate with a liar. Look at all the message boards today... it is no longer about what side of the issue you are on, it is that the truth is no longer truth. People fight about what truth is. You cannot win a debate in such a world. Biden should simply not debate and state the reason, because Trump is a pathological liar so there is no point.
You can easily win a debate with a liar. Where do you get a silly notion that it's impossible. It's the easiest sort of debate to win, see Bush/Gore 2000. Gore was fudging numbers and Bush called him on it.

Not that Joe is capable of doing that. If Biden can mostly speak to the question asked, he will be ahead of expectations.

The networks should decide to do that on their own. The problem is Bias might seep in. They might fact check less of their preferred candidate, or let the little lies or misrepresentations go, while focusing on his opponent's every word. In the end they'll just be preaching to the choir as their viewers' opinions will merely be reinforced, rather than genuinely exposing one or the other.

I also doubt is fact checking works on Trump's audience. They simply assume the news service (even Fox) is treating him unfairly and putting up falsehoods of its own. They have already shown they're more or less immune to facts.

Back
Top Bottom