• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

2020 Debates--First debate,

The networks should decide to do that on their own. The problem is Bias might seep in. They might fact check less of their preferred candidate, or let the little lies or misrepresentations go, while focusing on his opponent's every word. In the end they'll just be preaching to the choir as their viewers' opinions will merely be reinforced, rather than genuinely exposing one or the other.

I also doubt is fact checking works on Trump's audience. They simply assume the news service (even Fox) is treating him unfairly and putting up falsehoods of its own. They have already shown they're more or less immune to facts.

Fact checking the debate as it happens is injecting a third party opinion into it. Fact checkers have become just as biased, and just as unreliable as the mainstream news media has, so thanks, but no thanks.

The idea of a debate is for people to listen to what the candidates have to say and form their own opinions. Anyone interested in fact checking what the candidates say, can do so themselves after the debate with that revolutionary new website called Google. They have what's called a "search engine" that anyone with an IQ over 50 can easily use.

I look forward to Wallace's debate. He's been my favorite pundit lately.

Chris Wallace is literally the only Faux News show host I can trust to dislike anything Donald Trump tells him. In 2016, he was my favorite moderator and I hoped he would get the same assignment this year. To bad we have to wait until September 29 for him to expose Trump as the rattlesnake he is.

Fact checking the debate as it happens is injecting a third party opinion into it. Fact checkers have become just as biased, and just as unreliable as the mainstream news media has, so thanks, but no thanks.

The idea of a debate is for people to listen to what the candidates have to say and form their own opinions. Anyone interested in fact checking what the candidates say, can do so themselves after the debate with that revolutionary new website called Google. They have what's called a "search engine" that anyone with an IQ over 50 can easily use.

To those who subscribe to the idea any news they don;t like is 'fake news'.

Sadly most people won't go and google it, regardless of their IQ. They're too lazy, don't have time, or have preconceived biases. They'll still vote though, but now not based on the facts. A news service will be called out for a false fact check and the big ones likely won't do it for fear of losing more credibility (though I can see them abstaining from checking a soundbite when they should if it suits them to do so). However the candidates will say what they need to in the moment and Trump in particular does that so hard and so often that a side-scroller should be constantly running every time he's on screen. He doesn't care about being called out tomorrow, so they might as well do it live. Biden has said he's happy to do it, which means they'll do it to him too.

Let's face it only one side doesn't want a fact check - the same side that doesn't want everyone to vote easily. Why is that?

Facts are not opinions.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." -- John Adams

Did Trump come out and say he opposes fact checking? I wouldn't be surprised, but I am curious if he did.

Many Republicans who watched his first debate with Hillary Clinton were really mad at Lester Holt for regularly interrupting Donald Trump to fact check him. It was described as Trump debating against both Clinton and Holt because he did not fact check her. Holt is a registered Republican, so it is saying a lot that he did not spend more time fact checking her.

Many Republicans who watched his first debate with Hillary Clinton were really mad at Lester Holt for regularly interrupting Donald Trump to fact check him. It was described as Trump debating against both Clinton and Holt because he did not fact check her. Holt is a registered Republican, so it is saying a lot that he did not spend more time fact checking her.
What does it say? Being a registered Republican does not necessarily indicate a bias. Interrupting only one candidate does indicate a bias.

To those who subscribe to the idea any news they don;t like is 'fake news'.

Sadly most people won't go and google it, regardless of their IQ. They're too lazy, don't have time, or have preconceived biases. They'll still vote though, but now not based on the facts. A news service will be called out for a false fact check and the big ones likely won't do it for fear of losing more credibility (though I can see them abstaining from checking a soundbite when they should if it suits them to do so). However the candidates will say what they need to in the moment and Trump in particular does that so hard and so often that a side-scroller should be constantly running every time he's on screen. He doesn't care about being called out tomorrow, so they might as well do it live. Biden has said he's happy to do it, which means they'll do it to him too.

Let's face it only one side doesn't want a fact check - the same side that doesn't want everyone to vote easily. Why is that?

This couldn't be any more simple for me... Fact checkers in recent years have become very unreliable. They tend to interpret statements through the lens of their personal biases, which often times results in common sense going out the window and things being taken out of context.

You and others may prefer to have someone spoon feed you their opinions, but I'm perfectly capable of fact checking the candidates myself. So...

NO THANKS.

This couldn't be any more simple for me... Fact checkers in recent years have become very unreliable. They tend to interpret statements through the lens of their personal biases, which often times results in common sense going out the window and things being taken out of context.

You and others may prefer to have someone spoon feed you their opinions, but I'm perfectly capable of fact checking the candidates myself. So...

NO THANKS.

Facts can be checked. There is such thing as facts. Bias is bias. Facts are facts.

Facts are not opinions.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." -- John Adams

Fact checkers interpret facts through the lens of their own biases... If what you are saying were true, then every fact check website would be flawless... but as we all know, that is NOT the case.

Anyone who's not intelligent enough to check the facts for themselves, or is simply too damned lazy to check for themselves, shouldn't be voting in the first place... They should smoke a bowl on election day and play Grand Theft Auto, because we sure as hell don't need any more uniformed voters who let the media do all of their thinking for them.

Mostly what I’m seeing from Trump folks is this abject terror that Trump will need to actually answer for his record. He won’t be able to just bull**** his way as the outsider rough rider dude. HE has a record. His statements can be checked against the actual history of the last 4 years. It is not even a little controversial to suggest that Trump lies about everything and in order for any debate to provide the American people a good idea of what’s up, we need a baseline agreement on facts as they’ve been *recorded* not as Trump describes them.

Fact checkers interpret facts through the lens of their own biases... If what you are saying were true, then every fact check website would be flawless... but as we all know, that is NOT the case.

Anyone who's not intelligent enough to check the facts for themselves, or is simply too damned lazy to check for themselves, shouldn't be voting in the first place... They should smoke a bowl on election day and play Grand Theft Auto, because we sure as hell don't need any more uniformed voters who let the media do all of their thinking for them.

They get to vote whether you think they should or not, and it’s actually literally the media’s job to help inform the public about the human beings who want to run our country.

NO THANKS.
What is your source for this opinion?

Mostly what I’m seeing from Trump folks is this abject terror that Trump will need to actually answer for his record. He won’t be able to just bull**** his way as the outsider rough rider dude. HE has a record. His statements can be checked against the actual history of the last 4 years. It is not even a little controversial to suggest that Trump lies about everything and in order for any debate to provide the American people a good idea of what’s up, we need a baseline agreement on facts as they’ve been *recorded* not as Trump describes them.

Trump voters think it's unfair because how can GOD check facts? It's all based on believing what someone else told you was true.

Besides, Biden will have just sucked down a bucket of baby juice, so it won't be fair from the start. lol

Your OPINION is nothing more than partisan BS... The fact check website that the left turns to the most, Politifact, not only gets a lot of their fact checks wrong, but always seems to do so in favor of democrats, and against those on the right.

See for yourself:

PolitiFact Bias

Hard to say...I just know that he's not practicing for the debate and Biden is. Which suggests that Trump doesn't care about facts and will probably use his bully pulpit to bully, name call and lie....which is something he's very good at.

They should probably put Trump in a plexiglass box so that he doesn't invade Biden's space like he did to Hillary.

After his Nevada rally, Trump himself could be a super spreader.....and Biden would be wise to forgo the elbow bump. Who knows what kind of poison Trump has up his sleeve.

That's something I didn't think about. Trumps has been all over the place sucking others spit while they're screaming the left sucks. I hope Biden stays clear.

Your OPINION is nothing more than partisan BS... The fact check website that the left turns to the most, Politifact, not only gets a lot of their fact checks wrong, but always seems to do so in favor of democrats, and against those on the right.

See for yourself:

PolitiFact Bias

I don’t have to see anything, they don’t have to use politfact for fact checking.

I’m sorry, but there really is a means to tell if Trump is lying. I know its disorienting and after 4 years you’ve been used to him just lying with no checks on it but the bill is due. Time for him to stand by his record which he has proclaimed as the greatest in the history of the republic.

Should be a breeze. FAct checkers are gonna get sleeeepy with nuttin to do.

See for yourself:

PolitiFact Bias

This isn't a gotcha, sorry, the U.S. is the only country that has a commercial system, and makes money off of it. Which is why it was "mostly" correct. This guy is stretching like Gumby.

Fact checkers in recent years have become very unreliable. They tend to interpret statements through the lens of their personal biases, which often times results in common sense going out the window and things being taken out of context.

Context is a handy excuse when the facts are stacked against us. For the most part the demonstrable facts stand, whether we like the source (and its bias) or not. I don't worry as much about the honesty of the fact checkers as their intellectual honesty: as I mentioned earlier, the danger is they'll cherry pick which facts (and which candidate) to call out.

On the other hand since every third line the president utters is demonstrably false I suspect that he'll be the bigger victim. Sucks to be him. Maybe he could try speaking the truth once in a while - if he even knows what that is anymore.

Ah yes, right out of the Joseph Goebbels playbook, the truth is anything that I say it is.

There are facts, which are unambiguous and there are opinions, which are debatable. When President Trump told the troops in Iraq that, “I got you a big one [pay raise] - 10 percent. Because it’s been a long time. It’s been more than 10 years,” he was bald-face lying. They DIDN’T get a 10% raise and what they did get, had nothing to do with Trump.

Fact check: Trump brags to troops about 10 percent pay raise he didn't actually give them

PolitiFact - Did Donald Trump sign the first military pay raise in 10 years?

There will be no presidential debates this year. Biden can't do it, or he'll look REALLY bad. He will get Covid-19 just before the first debates and won't be better until it is too late to have any more debates.

You can easily win a debate with a liar. .

What a stupid post.

How on earth can you win a debate with a liar who does not even talk honest about what position you and he take?

Truth is no longer universal.

If truths were universal as they were pre TRump, yes you could, not now.

What a stupid post. How on earth can you win a debate with a liar who does not even talk honest about what position you and he take?
Read for comprehension. I already gave an example.

Truth is no longer universal. If truths were universal as they were pre TRump, yes you could, not now.
I don't aspire to truth. Facts will do.

Back
Top Bottom