• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2020 Census Undercounted U.S. Population by Nearly 19 Million

Several times. It wasnt a technical issue, they just wouldnt let me submit it without giving them loads of details.
Yep, they wanted to know your race, your education, what language you speak, how many toilets in your house, all kinds of stuff they do not need to know and are not entitled to know just to count how many people there are. Even if I complied with the census and told them how many people, I would not provide them with those other answers. No reason to.

Last edited:
Yep, they wanted to know your race, your education, what language you speak, how many toilets in your house, all kinds of stuff the do not need to know and are not entitled to know just to count how many people there are. Even if I complied with the census and told them how many people, I would not provide them with those other answers. No reason to.

And so who knows if i was counted. They never followed up. Maybe next time if they manage to go back to the original purpose, to count the people in a state for representation.

Poor people were undercounted. Those people tend to be minorities and they were intimidated by Trump and his actions („ICE will round you up and deport you if you fill out the census form.“
Not because they are poor, and not because they are minorities (which in my state of California they are actually the majority), but if making illegal alien criminals feel unwelcome....well, then they should not have violated our laws to come here.

Which is a complete bullsh*t, because the data is anonymous and not shared with ICE, but many Mexicans still believed it.
Don't say many Mexicans, because people who are Mexican are not necessarily illegal aliens. But if illegal aliens believed that giving census information might get them tosses out, then good, they should be here in the first place.

Even those who are in the country legally, often for years already and therefore didn’t participate.
ICE should round them up. They are criminals living off of the American taxpayers.

Also, Trump also cut time to complete the Census by a month, when census takers tried to reach hard-to-count Blacks and Native Americans.

Wait a second, how are those people harder to count than other people? They all got ballots in the mailbox and voted. They all get their government checks in the mailbox and cashed them. So, how is it so hard for them to figure out a census form and mail that back. What is wrong with them? Are you saying the aren't as intelligent as other people, because I would disagree with you on that.

They didn't count me or anyone in my family because I live in California, and the last thing we want is California getting more electoral votes, or more congressional representation. I haven't responded to the census in 30 years.

You were still in all likelihood counted, especially if you've lived in the same addy for awhile. They'll knock on your door, and if no answer there they will knock on your neighbors doors and get whatever info they can about you.
They just didnt get all the additional info that would be on the questionnaire.
The Census is also used to allocate federal money for infrastructure, roads, schools, senior centers, etc.
So you didnt stiff anyone...but yourself and your neighborhood.

So, what you census refusers (a thing that is usually non-controversial) want to tell us, is:

If the 2030 Census would have the option of A) only submitting the number of people in your household and B) an optional set of questions for demographics (age, language, heritage, citizenship, income etc.) - you would take part ? By filling out only the count question ?

That would be a good thing, and I guess the Census Bureau should consider it. The optional set of demographic questions - while very important data for statisticians and for infrastructure planning - can also be drawn from a smaller sample of people responding, while still being representative of the whole population.

Tender Branson said:
Even those who are in the country legally, often for years already - got intimidated by Trump and therefore didn’t participate.
ICE should round them up. They are criminals living off of the American taxpayers.

Dude, you are being ridiculous.

I said people in the country LEGALLY. People in the country legally for a long time are not criminals and should not be deported by ICE.

Besides, most of them are not living off the American taxpayers. Most legal immigrants from South America or elsewhere quickly get jobs, for example jobs that no American wants to do, and are not living off welfare.

Tender Branson said:
Even those who are in the country legally, often for years already - got intimidated by Trump and therefore didn’t participate.

Dude, you are being ridiculous.

I said people in the country LEGALLY. People in the country legally for a long time are not criminals and should not be deported by ICE.

If they are here legally (not illegal aliens or not harboring illegal aliens) then what are they afraid of? Wouldn't they be the ones being ridiculous?

Citizens to not get deported by ICE, only illegal alien criminals.
Besides, most of them are not living off the American taxpayers. Most legal immigrants from South America or elsewhere quickly get jobs, for example jobs that no American wants to do, and are not living off welfare.
Legal immigrants have nothing to worry about, so why are you worried about them not filling out the census? I didn't fill out the census because I didn't want to answer the questions, who was president had nothing to do with my decision, so maybe those legal minorities didn't want to participate either.

Not trusting the government is not just limited only to minorities.

If they are here legally (not illegal aliens or not harboring illegal aliens) then what are they afraid of? Wouldn't they be the ones being ridiculous?

Citizens to not get deported by ICE, only illegal alien criminals.

Legal immigrants have nothing to worry about, so why are you worried about them not filling out the census? I didn't fill out the census because I didn't want to answer the questions, who was president had nothing to do with my decision, so maybe those legal minorities didn't want to participate either.

Not trusting the government is not just limited only to minorities.

Legal as well as illegal immigrants should be counted in the US census, according to the constitution. Therefore, all people residing in the US for a longer time, excluding tourists.

And yes, while illegal immigrants of course were not taking part in the census that much, because of fear of deportation - even legal immigrants were intimidated by Trump and Republicans, as they said themselves in interviews. Many legal immigrants in the US also have illegal relatives with them, or friends who recently arrived.

They said if they took part, they could be deported, even if here legally (which is not true). But that's how intimidation works.

Anyway, South Americans are not lazy and it's not that they are not taking part in a census because they don't want to: censuses in Mexico and other Latin American countries show very high civil engagement and participation in the 90%+ ranges. So, yeah, these people would also take part in a US census, if they get proper information about it, and are not intimidated by racist Republican presidents.

Apparently we don't need a census. Biden's political appointees already know exactly how many people there are.
Biden lives rent free man...rent free

You were still in all likelihood counted, especially if you've lived in the same addy for awhile.
I have changed the address numbers on my house before the last two census just for shits and giggles because I know that the census takers GPS tag the homes the go up to the door to. My way of messing with them a bit.

They'll knock on your door, and if no answer there they will knock on your neighbors doors and get whatever info they can about you.
Already covered, and yes the did knock on my neighbor's door, but I have told my neighbor to not give them any information about us in anyway.

Plus I live in a private gated community, so door knockers of any type are generally not welcomed here.

They just didnt get all the additional info that would be on the questionnaire.
I own property in another state, so we reply for that state, even though we don't live there. That state is a red state, so can you see what my strategy is?

The Census is also used to allocate federal money for infrastructure, roads, schools, senior centers, etc.
Yep, and here in Southern California that usually means free lunch programs, and housing assistance for welfare types, none of which vote the way I prefer anyway, so no thanks, don't want this state being rewarded, send it to some other states, hopefully red states.

So you didnt stiff anyone...but yourself and your neighborhood.

Private gated HOA neighborhood, so all of roads, lights, sewers, storm drains---- all of that we pay for ourselves. No Federal, State, or even county taxes come our way anyway.

Legal as well as illegal immigrants should be counted in the US census, according to the constitution. Therefore, all people residing in the US for a longer time, excluding tourists.
Nah! I don't agee, so I don't participate. And illegals I don't care about. Anything we can do to make them feel unwelcome then I am for that.

And yes, while illegal immigrants of course were not taking part in the census that much, because of fear of deportation - even legal immigrants were intimidated by Trump and Republicans, as they said themselves in interviews.
Good, make them feel scared. Maybe they will then finally decide to immigrate legally.

Many legal immigrants in the US also have illegal relatives with them, or friends who recently arrived.
BINGO! These are citizens who are aiding and abetting criminals, thus makes them criminals too. No wonder they don't want to answer the census, they are helping to break laws.

They said if they took part, they could be deported, even if here legally (which is not true). But that's how intimidation works.
Yep, and I want them to feel like they will be deported.

Anyway, South Americans are not lazy and it's not that they are not taking part in a census because they don't want to: censuses in Mexico and other Latin American countries show very high civil engagement and participation in the 90%+ ranges. So, yeah, these people would also take part in a US census, if they get proper information about it, and are not intimidated by racist Republican presidents.
I'm not against immigrants, my wife and her family immigrated here from Cuba in 1960. But they came here LEGALLY.

I have changed the address numbers on my house before the last two census just for shits and giggles because I know that the census takers GPS tag the homes the go up to the door to. My way of messing with them a bit.

Already covered, and yes the did knock on my neighbor's door, but I have told my neighbor to not give them any information about us in anyway.

Plus I live in a private gated community, so door knockers of any type are generally not welcomed here.

I own property in another state, so we reply for that state, even though we don't live there. That state is a red state, so can you see what my strategy is?

Yep, and here in Southern California that usually means free lunch programs, and housing assistance for welfare types, none of which vote the way I prefer anyway, so no thanks, don't want this state being rewarded, send it to some other states, hopefully red states.

Private gated HOA neighborhood, so all of roads, lights, sewers, storm drains---- all of that we pay for ourselves. No Federal, State, or even county taxes come our way anyway.

That is reeking of paranoia ...

Whenever I read "gated community", I think of rich people having lost touch with the real world and people out there.

Nah! I don't agee, so I don't participate. And illegals I don't care about. Anything we can do to make them feel unwelcome then I am for that.

Good, make them feel scared. Maybe they will then finally decide to immigrate legally.

BINGO! These are citizens who are aiding and abetting criminals, thus makes them criminals too. No wonder they don't want to answer the census, they are helping to break laws.

Yep, and I want them to feel like they will be deported.

I'm not against immigrants, my wife and her family immigrated here from Cuba in 1960. But they came here LEGALLY.

I'm not for illegal immigration, but there are situations you cannot control (such as large refugee streams) and illegals will always come and have always come to countries.

But once they are here, they should be counted in a census - as the constitution says. Even Jesus's parents took part in one, for the Christian Republicans reading this.

And once they are here, they should be treated as people, and not as scum. Because it doesn't matter where they are on the planet.

And legal immigrants providing them with a home are not criminals, they just give them a roof over the head and act as humans and not as irresponsible racists.

... they were intimidated by Trump and his actions („ICE will round you up and deport you if you fill out the census form.“) Which is a complete bullsh*t, because the data is anonymous and not shared with ICE, but many Mexicans still believed it. ...

Exactly how do you know all this?

Exactly how do you know all this?

I am very familiar with the topic, because I used to be heavily into statistics and demography during high school here in Austria - and still am interested in population dynamics of several countries.

I also read media reports and Census Bureau reports on the topics and extensively so during the 2020 Census.

I'm not for illegal immigration, but there are situations you cannot control (such as large refugee streams) and illegals will always come and have always come to countries.
No, no! Refugees can still follow a legal process, they don't need to violate our laws even when they must get here due to some emergency.

But once they are here, they should be counted in a census - as the constitution says.
I agree they should be counted. Counted, identified, and if they do not have a legal excuse or legal permission to remain here, they should be deported.

Even Jesus's parents took part in one, for the Christian Republicans reading this.
Yeah, the Romans had a census in order to collect taxes. Then later the Romans nailed Jesus on a cross, so not sure what your reason for mentioning Jesus is about? Did Roman law actually cover the US census??? Hmmm.. interesting.

And once they are here, they should be treated as people, and not as scum. Because it doesn't matter where they are on the planet.
Of course they are people, and if they violated our laws to come here, and continue to violate our laws to stay here, then the are criminals. So, they ought to be treated like criminals. Otherwise why would anyone ever bother to follow any immigration law?

And legal immigrants providing them with a home are not criminals, they just give them a roof over the head and act as humans and not as irresponsible racists.

Race has nothing to do with this, it is about following and respecting our immigration laws. I used to routinely report workers who attempted to give fake ID information to our company, and when it was confirmed that they had used a false SS# (a felony BTW), we were sure to terminate them on the spot. There are too many honest legal immigrants who have followed the laws who should get those jobs, not the criminals.

That is reeking of paranoia ...

Whenever I read "gated community", I think of rich people having lost touch with the real world and people out there.
I suppose one might call me rich, but it isn't like I'm filthy rich. I don't own a 100 foot yacht or anything like that.

Private gated HOA communities here where I live have the benefit of only allowing those who live here to be here. No place is ever really nice is it when anyone can afford to live there.

Why do you have so much hostility toward wealthy people?

I am very familiar with the topic, because I used to be heavily into statistics and demography during high school here in Austria - and still am interested in population dynamics of several countries.

I also read media reports and Census Bureau reports on the topics and extensively so during the 2020 Census.

That's all fine. I love statistics myself and used it a lot in my career.

However, I don't see how you can know that a significant number of people were intimidated by the prospect of an ICE roundup? It's a fairly plausible speculation, but as far as I know it's not an established fact.

Also, since very few African Americans are undocumented aliens, ICE intimidation wouldn't be a very good explanation of why they might have been undercounted.

You are very lucky then to live in Austria. Our demographic here in the part of the United States where I live have become increasing challenged since my nation changed our immigration laws way back in 1965.

What my world looked like back in when I was a kid....
8242827628_5575d10665_b.jpg

This is the 3rd world hell hole it looks like now..
11992148184_c313f02e25_b.jpg

And the fascist right wingers are happy. How unsurprising.

The biggest disappointment from the 2020 census is that Arizona didn't gain another House seat.

Sorry, but no:

# the Census is for many things (infrastructure, tax revenue distribution to states, cities) - apportionment of Congressional seats is just one component.

# the US constitution says all people must be counted, not just citizens. If only voting age citizens should be counted, the constitution must be changed. This has not happened yet.

# there is no country on the planet that only counts citizens in its census and leaves out non-citizens. That’s not how it works.
so you think that non citizens should count toward apportionment of representation when they are not actually represtented and cannot vote.

if non-citizens should be counted, why can we not ask about citizenship on the census form? in order to get a "complete picture" of our population, wouldn't that actually be necessary? if we keep counting the non-citizens, wouldn't it be very usefull to our government to know how many non-citizens are present and how much they are affecting representation for those that can vote?

the constitution also mentions that those not taxed are not to be counted. of course, originally it was "indians not taxed" but surely you are in favor of inclusivity.
were the indians not counted because they were indians, or because they were not taxed? it is very clear. and if we have a problem with "no taxation without representation" then we can simply not tax the non citizens.

all of this is just a simple matter of congress passing a law. something they do all the time.

Yeah, and how much you want to be it was largely democratic voters so yet again the system will allow the minority to have more representation than the majority

And the fascist right wingers are happy. How unsurprising.
and the marxist left wingers are unhappy.

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..."

Yeah, and how much you want to be it was largely democratic voters so yet again the system will allow the minority to have more representation than the majority
I wonder if we could get that partisan breakdown by a FOIA request?
maybe that breakdown should be publicly available as part of the law? but then the democrats would be opposed to that.

Back
Top Bottom