• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2020 Census Undercounted U.S. Population by Nearly 19 Million

Census Bureau Releases Estimates of Undercount and Overcount in the 2020 Census

-0.24% TOTAL UNDERCOUNT NATIONWIDE
(compared to +0.01% overcount in 2010)

-3.30% TOTAL UNDERCOUNT AMONG AFRICAN AMERICANS
(compared to -2.06% undercount in 2010)

-4.99% TOTAL UNDERCOUNT AMONG HISPANIC AMERICANS
(compared to -1.54% undercount in 2010)

-5.64% TOTAL UNDERCOUNT AMONG NATIVES LIVING ON RESERVATIONS
(compared to -4.88% undercount in 2010)

+1.64% OVERCOUNT AMONG NON-HISPANIC WHITE AMERICANS
(compared to +0.83% overcount in 2010)

+2.62% OVERCOUNT AMONG ASIAN AMERICANS
(compared to 0.00% in 2010)

+1.28% OVERCOUNT AMONG NATIVE HAWAIIANS AND PACIFIC ISLANDERS
(compared to +1.02% overcount in 2010)

Undercount means the true estimated population is higher than what was recorded
Overcount means the true estimated population is lower than what was recorded

Hmmm....how does one determine that a census undercounts or overcounts anything? It's the INVENTORY, the benchmark against which the ESTIMATES are checked.

Not the other way around.

And the census should check CITIZENS, and not their color or sex or religion or how many refrigerators they might own.

Good point, they are estimating that their estimate is off because they estimate how many people there are. They dont actually do a count. They ask for info, then make up the rest based on statistical analysis.

I was not able to answer the census. I tried through the website but it wouldnt let me submit, and no one ever followed up. I assume they just used my tax return though.

Yeah.

70% of American people submitted their census forms themselves and were counted.

An additional 25% were counted at their homes when a census taker visited, after not responding by themselves.

5 to 6% of American households never responded themselves, neither when it was possible by internet, by mail return questionnaire or by phone. These households then got several reminder letters too. Then, census takers visited the households once, but sometimes up to 6 times.

There is a chance that a lot of these households are empty and abandoned (see Detroit), which has a lot of houses on record, but most are rotten and abandoned.

Then, you have a lot of anti-government people who don’t respond.

Census takers had to figure out if such a household was still inhabited or abandoned, the former by asking neighbors.

If neighbors said, yeah, this home is inhabited and 2 people are living there, then the census taker counted 2 people - despite being „uncounted“ at first.

So, the 19 million undercount figure in the headline is not really accurate: many of the 19 million initially omitted were accounted for and „imputed“.

I never got a call, reminder, or a visit. I got the initial questionaire and tried to submit online, but they wouldnt accept it. Maybe they asked my apt manager.

In other words, wealthy „races“ (Whites, Asians) were overcounted (meaning there were counted more than there should be).

Poor „races“ (Blacks, Latinos, Natives) were significantly omitted.

Good point, they are estimating that their estimate is off because they estimate how many people there are. They dont actually do a count. They ask for info, then make up the rest based on statistical analysis.

I was not able to answer the census. I tried through the website but it wouldnt let me submit, and no one ever followed up. I assume they just used my tax return though.

Did you try the website several times or just once ?

200 million Americans were able to submit their data online, so you probably had a bad timing with a server problem. The Census Bureau said that their website never experienced problems, even though millions of Americans submitted data at the same time.

Tweety sabotaged the census.

Apparently we don't need a census. Biden's political appointees already know exactly how many people there are.

Assuming Biden wins against Trump again in 2024, it’s fairly likely that there will be another Republican president between 2029-2033, during the next Census.

Nothing good comes out of this, unless it’s a moderate one like Hogan.

If it’s some Trumpian douchebag like DeSantis, be sure that minorities will once again be targeted and intimidated from participating.

In other words, wealthy „races“ (Whites, Asians) were overcounted (meaning there were counted more than there should be).

Poor „races“ (Blacks, Latinos, Natives) were significantly omitted.

Did you try the website several times or just once ?

200 million Americans were able to submit their data online, so you probably had a bad timing with a server problem. The Census Bureau said that their website never experienced problems, even though millions of Americans submitted data at the same time.

Several times. It wasnt a technical issue, they just wouldnt let me submit it without giving them loads of details.

Assuming Biden wins against Trump again in 2024, it’s fairly likely that there will be another Republican president between 2029-2033, during the next Census.

Nothing good comes out of this, unless it’s a moderate one like Hogan.

If it’s some Trumpian douchebag like DeSantis, be sure that minorities will once again be targeted and intimidated from participating.

Good thing you dont count.

Several times. It wasnt a technical issue, they just wouldnt let me submit it without giving them loads of details.

Lame excuse.

You could have filled out question 1 „How many people live in this household ?“

and then insert bogus numbers on the other questions and you could have submitted it.

A shame if you’d have done so with the bogus entries, but yeah, if you had a desire to just get counted without submitting data on age, race etc, you could have done so.

By Maria Cramer
March 10, 2022, 12:50 p.m. ET

The 2020 census undercounted the country’s population by 18.8 million people, the Census Bureau said on Thursday, acknowledging that the count had underrepresented Black, Latino and Indigenous residents.

At the same time, the census overcounted the number of white and Asian residents, the bureau said.

Robert L. Santos, the bureau’s director, said that despite the omissions, the results were consistent with recent censuses.

“This is notable, given the unprecedented challenges of 2020,” he said in a statement. “But the results also include some limitations — the 2020 census undercounted many of the same population groups we have historically undercounted, and it overcounted others.”

“We remain proud of the job we accomplished in the face of immense challenges,” Mr. Santos said. “And we are ready to work with the stakeholders and the public to fully leverage this enormously valuable resource.”

The 2020 census faced a series of challenges. The coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the count just as it was beginning in April 2020, forcing the bureau to extend its work by nearly two months. Later in the year, wildfires in the West and coastal hurricanes upended the bureau’s work just as door-knockers were fanning out to survey millions of households that had not filled out their forms.

The Trump administration later moved up the deadline to finish the counting, raising concerns about an undercount. The problems led many experts, including some senior Census Bureau officials, to worry that the final count would be fatally flawed.

In September, a 59-page analysis of the 2020 census commissioned and reviewed by the American Statistical Association said the count appeared accurate enough for its overriding constitutional purpose: reallocating the 435 seats in the House of Representatives.

But the experts who drafted the report limited their findings to the overall national tally and counts in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Much more study would be needed, they said, to gauge the reliability of local population totals and characteristics such as race and ethnicity that are vital parts of every census.

🧐

looking at the article as best I could without a subscription, I came across this at the bottom:

Capture.JPG

also, thanks to Lynx and Ubuntu, this was in the article:

Capture1.JPG

Why do you object to a FULL picture of the US ?

Why do you object to minorities being counted comprehensively ?

Are you racist ?
the census exists to establish the number of seats in the house of representatives. people who are here illegally or who cannot otherwise vote, should not be counted for the purpose of apportioning seats in the house of representatives.

the census exists to establish the number of seats in the house of representatives. people who are here illegally or who cannot otherwise vote, should not be counted for the purpose of apportioning seats in the house of representatives.

I understand that you feel that way - but the Constitution is pretty clear that the Founders felt differently than you.

Sorry, but no:

# the Census is for many things (infrastructure, tax revenue distribution to states, cities) - apportionment of Congressional seats is just one component.

# the US constitution says all people must be counted, not just citizens. If only voting age citizens should be counted, the constitution must be changed. This has not happened yet.

# there is no country on the planet that only counts citizens in its census and leaves out non-citizens. That’s not how it works.

By Maria Cramer
March 10, 2022, 12:50 p.m. ET

The 2020 census undercounted the country’s population by 18.8 million people, the Census Bureau said on Thursday, acknowledging that the count had underrepresented Black, Latino and Indigenous residents.

At the same time, the census overcounted the number of white and Asian residents, the bureau said.

Robert L. Santos, the bureau’s director, said that despite the omissions, the results were consistent with recent censuses.

“This is notable, given the unprecedented challenges of 2020,” he said in a statement. “But the results also include some limitations — the 2020 census undercounted many of the same population groups we have historically undercounted, and it overcounted others.”

“We remain proud of the job we accomplished in the face of immense challenges,” Mr. Santos said. “And we are ready to work with the stakeholders and the public to fully leverage this enormously valuable resource.”

The 2020 census faced a series of challenges. The coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the count just as it was beginning in April 2020, forcing the bureau to extend its work by nearly two months. Later in the year, wildfires in the West and coastal hurricanes upended the bureau’s work just as door-knockers were fanning out to survey millions of households that had not filled out their forms.

The Trump administration later moved up the deadline to finish the counting, raising concerns about an undercount. The problems led many experts, including some senior Census Bureau officials, to worry that the final count would be fatally flawed.

In September, a 59-page analysis of the 2020 census commissioned and reviewed by the American Statistical Association said the count appeared accurate enough for its overriding constitutional purpose: reallocating the 435 seats in the House of Representatives.

But the experts who drafted the report limited their findings to the overall national tally and counts in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Much more study would be needed, they said, to gauge the reliability of local population totals and characteristics such as race and ethnicity that are vital parts of every census.

🧐
Well, that was a given and it MUST be corrected before the midterms since only Democrat voters were undercounted. If we allow Republicans to gain even one seat in either house then democracy as we know it will be lost forever because, as we all know, you can't have democracy without Democrats.

Well, that was a given and it MUST be corrected before the midterms since only Democrat voters were undercounted. If we allow Republicans to gain even one seat in either house then democracy as we know it will be lost forever because, as we all know, you can't have democracy without Democrats.

You are being melodramatic / sarcastic.

Poor people were undercounted. Those people tend to be minorities and they were intimidated by Trump and his actions („ICE will round you up and deport you if you fill out the census form.“) Which is a complete bullsh*t, because the data is anonymous and not shared with ICE, but many Mexicans still believed it. Even those who are in the country legally, often for years already and therefore didn’t participate. Also, Trump also cut time to complete the Census by a month, when census takers tried to reach hard-to-count Blacks and Native Americans.

They didn't count me or anyone in my family because I live in California, and the last thing we want is California getting more electoral votes, or more congressional representation. I haven't responded to the census in 30 years.
law and order my ass...

"The participation of every citizen in the United States Census of 2020 was mandatory by the law by Article I, Section 2 of the American constitution. Census is carried out in the U.S. every ten years to count the correct population in the country."

Why didn’t you respond ?

Thats very irresponsible from you from a citizen perspective.
he's trying to keep representation down in an area where he doesn't agree with the politics of the majority.

Lame excuse.

You could have filled out question 1 „How many people live in this household ?“

and then insert bogus numbers on the other questions and you could have submitted it.

A shame if you’d have done so with the bogus entries, but yeah, if you had a desire to just get counted without submitting data on age, race etc, you could have done so.

I wasnt going to lie. I told them how many people live in my household and that was it. They wouldnt let me continue.

Back
Top Bottom