• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2019 SOTU - Did You Watch It?

Did you watch the SOTU 2019

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
If not, what did you watch? Or do?

sei_50773184-7868.jpg

Last edited:

sei_50773184-7868.jpg

Honestly, I tried watching it and got through most of it until the end when I started nodding off. Then when Stacey Abrams came on, it was over and I was a goner. Nothing on either of them, I was really tired and speeches always have that effect on me.

I thought the speech was good. I knew I wouldn't agree with some things like Trumps views on immigration but overall I liked the message and I wish he could act like that the majority of the time.

I think I missed the first five - ten minutes trying to find a platform to watch it from (online or television), but I caught all of the rest.

I think Trump was very good; clearly staying on script, and even compelling many of the "white suit" female members as well as stone-faced old guard Democrats in Congress to stand and applaud a number of his policy points (not just for the guests arrayed in the gallery).

It reminded me of his very first speech before Congress after his election. I just wish he would have continued the same kind of balanced presentation throughout his first 2 years in office. I think he would have been much more successful had he been able to do so.

I even tried to watch the Democrat "response" but after about 10 - 15 minutes of "how wonderful I am thanks to my family upbringing back in the day" coupled with standard talking points about "good Democrat goals vs evil Trump goals" I got bored and turned it off.

Last edited:
I watched both the SOTU and the Democratic Response, voted "other - please explain."

Both ended up what I thought they would be, mostly towards their respective bases with very little substance and filled to the brim with distortions if not outright lies. If it is not Trump lying about the wall's influence on crime in El Paso, it was Abrams being misleading on wage growth and manufacturing.

This is where we are... drawing division setting the stage for 2020.

I think I was playing Tetris.

I watched both the SOTU and the Democratic Response, voted "other - please explain."

Both ended up what I thought they would be, mostly towards their respective bases with very little substance and filled to the brim with distortions if not outright lies. If it is not Trump lying about the wall's influence on crime in El Paso, it was Abrams being misleading on wage growth and manufacturing.

This is where we are... drawing division setting the stage for 2020.

To be fair, the rebuttal was pre-recorded.

Most of it. The part that stood out the most was him begging Congresss not to investigate him.

Honestly, I tried watching it and got through most of it until the end when I started nodding off. Then when Stacey Abrams came on, it was over and I was a goner. Nothing on either of them, I was really tired and speeches always have that effect on me.

I thought the speech was good. I knew I wouldn't agree with some things like Trumps views on immigration but overall I liked the message and I wish he could act like that the majority of the time.

He spent about fifteen minutes telling us that Mexicans were coming to kill and rape you, your family, your dog and your mailman.

Trivia night at the pub...of course my team won...free beer. I'm not gonna miss that.

I was too busy watching Rifftrax with my wife and then working on painting my Dungeons & Dragons miniatures to bother.

I am told he did a good job, and I may catch clips of it later.

Last edited:
I didn't watch. Tuesday is poker night and, while we certainly checked in as the speech was going on, the priority was the game.

I'm still trying to decide which was more boring, the speech or the stupor bowl.

He spent about fifteen minutes telling us that Mexicans were coming to kill and rape you, your family, your dog and your mailman.

Kill first, then rape? Because that’s just sick.

And no, I didn’t bother. I can’t listen to that bloated tumor bloviate anymore.

i watched most of it. he didn't act like he normally does at his cult rallies because someone told him that his numbers suck and that he needs to fix them by acting normal. i don't believe that he's going to behave any differently in office than he has so far, because he's a pathological liar. the best bet is for the Democrats to run a highly electable candidate and get Trump and Pence as far away from the White House as possible.

Watched it. It was the usual campaign rally stuff. "Let's unite and work together behind and for my agenda, not the american people's desires." Trump's call for unity was as odiously fail as the facts of his speech were nonsense.

his assault on women's rights over right wing hysterics and fear mongering is not getting enough attention.

Bernie's rebuttal was excellent. Destroyed the orange anus and his legion of slavering followers.

Waste of 80 mintues listening to Trump.

I never watch the official SOTU propaganda fest and believe it should be consigned to the ash heap.

Secondly, the con man Trump has nothing to say that I need to hear.

Fell asleep. I cut up some big-assed trees that had fallen on a fence line, which took most of the day. At my age, I get a pass. Most of the day for me is 6 hours. Anything more than that is just plain wrong.

Most of it. The part that stood out the most was him begging Congresss not to investigate him.

Reminded me of Nixon in 94 in the same speech in which he told the nation ... "one year of Watergate is enough" and pushed to stop the investigations. 190 days later - he resigned in disgrace. Maybe August will give us all an early Christmas present?

[video=youtube;Izn5kAayyTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?Izn5kAayyTs[/video]

Nancy Pelosi shuffling paperwork is priceless. Symbolically, Nancy was literally peering over Trumps shoulder as she will be for the next two years.

As I understand it, the newly elected Democrat House women wore white outfits to show Trump the midterm ass kicking he received.

Back
Top Bottom