• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2019 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

I agree with Real on this. Zags are a good team, but they don't deserve a #1. I see them as a major team in a minor conference.

They beat who's in front of them, and that's all that should be asked of them. But they are not an ACC or SEC type team. They have a chance to prove me wrong this month... lol

And I have very confidence they will. People have been making the argument that they don't play anyone and their schedule is so weak they don't deserve their seeds forever. And for the last decade, they've been completely wrong. The Zags have been upset exactly one time in that frame, by a Wichita St. team that went It may have been true for the mid 2000s Zags teams that got 2 or 3 seeds despite efficiency rankings in the mid-20s. But those metrics universally have this team in the top 2.

I see this team's case as similar the 2017 team that went to the national championship and got a one seed despite losing to BYU on the last game. Except this time we also have the best win out of anyone in the country on our resume. That team had legions of people pissed off that they got the one seed despite their schedule and despite that loss and gloating about how they'd be upset again. And we went to the national championship where it was tied in the last minute.

If they played in the ACC, how many losses do they have? And with all those losses, they are not a 1 seed.

They are VT or FSU level.

You can't lose to St Mary in the conference championship game and expect a #1 seed.

They would have a similar number of losses as Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina. Saint Mary's is better than Indiana, Illinois, Seton Hall, Alabama, Texas, Syracuse, and Penn State at least one of whom beat all of the number one seed contenders except Virginia.

Saying we're at the FSU or VA Tech level is absolutely insane to me. We're in the top 2 in every metric. They aren't in the top 10 in any.

And I have very confidence they will. People have been making the argument that they don't play anyone and their schedule is so weak they don't deserve their seeds forever. And for the last decade, they've been completely wrong. The Zags have been upset exactly one time in that frame, by a Wichita St. team that went It may have been true for the mid 2000s Zags teams that got 2 or 3 seeds despite efficiency rankings in the mid-20s. But those metrics universally have this team in the top 2.

I see this team's case as similar the 2017 team that went to the national championship and got a one seed despite losing to BYU on the last game. Except this time we also have the best win out of anyone in the country on our resume. That team had legions of people pissed off that they got the one seed despite their schedule and despite that loss and gloating about how they'd be upset again. And we went to the national championship where it was tied in the last minute.

They deserve high seeds, but IMO this year not a number 1 seed.

If they played in the ACC, how many losses do they have? And with all those losses, they are not a 1 seed.

They are VT or FSU level.

You can't lose to St Mary in the conference championship game and expect a #1 seed.

Not really true. Lots of coaches prefer to lose, the earlier the better, in conference tournaments because they would rather have the time off or practice time to prepare for the NCAA. When Bob Knight was at Indiana he always said he hoped for an early exit from the Big 10 tournament.

They deserve high seeds, but IMO this year not a number 1 seed.

That's fine. I disagree, but it's not outside the bounds of reason that we should have a 2 seed (like saying we're the same as FSU or Virginia Tech). I wouldn't mind it happening either since getting a weaker team like Michigan St. or Tennessee as a 1 seed to our 2 seed gives us a much easier path to a Final Four than getting stuck with someone like Duke as a 2 seed.

They would have a similar number of losses as Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina. Saint Mary's is better than Indiana, Illinois, Seton Hall, Alabama, Texas, Syracuse, and Penn State at least one of whom beat all of the number one seed contenders except Virginia.

Saying we're at the FSU or VA Tech level is absolutely insane to me. We're in the top 2 in every metric. They aren't in the top 10 in any.

Metric, with all respect, lol.

Zags lost to Tennessee and UNC beat Duke by 2 EARLY in the year.

Duke is all freshman. Big advantage playing them when they did.

This is no resume for a #1 seed when you lose to St Mary at season end when you know a #1 seed is a stake and it's your conference championship.

No worries, they will get the #1 seed as I said. I am just saying that they are not one of the top 4 teams in the country.

That's fine. I disagree, but it's not outside the bounds of reason that we should have a 2 seed (like saying we're the same as FSU or Virginia Tech). I wouldn't mind it happening either since getting a weaker team like Michigan St. or Tennessee as a 1 seed to our 2 seed gives us a much easier path to a Final Four than getting stuck with someone like Duke as a 2 seed.

Have you watched VT or FSU this year? Be honest.

What is this best win the country this year?

Metric, with all respect, lol.

Zags lost to Tennessee and UNC beat Duke by 2 EARLY in the year.

Duke is all freshman. Big advantage playing them when they did.

This is no resume for a #1 seed when you lose to St Mary at season end when you know a #1 seed is a stake and it's your conference championship.

No worries, they will get the #1 seed as I said. I am just saying that they are not one of the top 4 teams in the country.

They lost to Tennessee by 3 on a neutral court without Geno Crandall or Killian Tillie, both of whom are back now.

If playing Duke that early made it so easy, why did Duke not only go undefeated aside from that game, but have no other team come close? Not Indiana with it's two wins over MSU. Not Texas Tech or Auburn or Kentucky.
And the metrics are great. They aren't perfect, but they are very good at identifying which teams are real and which aren't. The 2005 Zags team got a 3 seed but had a KenPom ranking of 26. They did not deserve their seed. This year's team is 2nd.

I've watched both a ton. I love college basketball more than any other sport. Neither are on our level.

My recommendation, don't get stuck in a bracket where you face them. They are solid top 15 teams.

Top 4 teams in the country, Duke (Zion will be back), Virginia, Kentucky and UNC. Like I posted 2 weeks ago.

What is this best win the country this year?

Zags over Duke with everyone healthy. I think the only other one that is even arguable is Duke's win @Virginia. But I think Duke with everyone healthy is a significantly better team than Virginia.

They lost to Tennessee by 3 on a neutral court without Geno Crandall or Killian Tillie, both of whom are back now.

If playing Duke that early made it so easy, why did Duke not only go undefeated aside from that game, but have no other team come close? Not Indiana with it's two wins over MSU. Not Texas Tech or Auburn or Kentucky.
And the metrics are great. They aren't perfect, but they are very good at identifying which teams are real and which aren't. The 2005 Zags team got a 3 seed but had a KenPom ranking of 26. They did not deserve their seed. This year's team is 2nd.

Best of luck to the Zags!

My recommendation, don't get stuck in a bracket where you face them. They are solid top 15 teams.

Top 4 teams in the country, Duke (Zion will be back), Virginia, Kentucky and UNC. Like I posted 2 weeks ago.

I'm not sure Virginia Tech is without Robinson, but yes I agree. And I think putting the Zags at their level is severely underrating Gonzaga.

29 points on 13-for-13 shooting with 14 rebounds, five steals and a block, injured.

WTF?

Human or not?

Gators just punched their ticket into the NCAA Tournament with a 76 - 73 win over LSU!

Gators advance to the SEC Tournament semi-final game.

I bleed Orange & Blue!

Big game tonight in the ACC tourney; Duke/UNC. Who ya got? The missus is a big UNC fan. Does Zion make a difference or does Roy Williams get the best out of Luke May?

Gators just punched their ticket into the NCAA Tournament with a 76 - 73 win over LSU!

Gators advance to the SEC Tournament semi-final game.

I bleed Orange & Blue!

The SEC has several good teams, no doubt. They are second only to the ACC.

aUBURN looked good too.

Big game tonight in the ACC tourney; Duke/UNC. Who ya got? The missus is a big UNC fan. Does Zion make a difference or does Roy Williams get the best out of Luke May?

This is a fun game!

Expect the same teams to meet in the NCAA Final 4.

Like I said 3 weeks ago, "UNC, Duke, Kentucky and Virginia" are the 4 best teams in the country.

If Kentucky wins tomorrow, these should be your #1 seeds.

The SEC could make some real noise in the tourney. Even Auburn and Florida are the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom