• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"2017 The Greatest Economy in History"

What did the 2017 tax cut do to the economy?

• Greatest economy in History.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reved up engine.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Spun out.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Going off or into a cliff.

• Too fast for an icy road.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Speeding.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Maxed out/out of gas/in the ditch (depression).

• Blown piston (depression).

• Total voters
Keeping the race down, means things like keeping our grimy feet off the Moon, and feeding us meat, so we don't see all the way to Creation and get into everything.

Keeping us down means people are controlled by priests in various religions with opposing views and predictable responses and none know the larger picture.

Could you describe the "larger picture"?

Could you describe the "larger picture"?
No.

Every experience is meant to usher us into the Kingdom, just like a cow in a turnstile on its way to the slaughter gets cattle prodded if it slows down. Toward the end of life, when people realize their enjoyment was sin, they are prodded.

Enjoyment and suffering are both suffering, material enjoyment is considered like taking a crap.

Diverse viewpoints keep the race from being deceived, en whole.

No.

Every experience is meant to usher us into the Kingdom, just like a cow in a turnstile on its way to the slaughter gets cattle prodded if it slows down. Toward the end of life, when people realize their enjoyment was sin, they are prodded.

Enjoyment and suffering are both suffering, material enjoyment is considered like taking a crap.

Diverse viewpoints keep the race from being deceived, en whole.

Sounds like you experience a horrifyingly pessimistic world.

I hope you gain a less dismal perspective and do so soon.

Sounds like you experience a horrifyingly pessimistic world.

I hope you gain a less dismal perspective and do so soon.
The stumbling stone mitigates the material condition, taking our mind off the task of returning to Godhead and making life seem pleasant.

Christ is a stumbling stone, so is the First Avatar and also the Prophet and False Prophet.

The stumbling stone mitigates the material condition, taking our mind off the task of returning to Godhead and making life seem pleasant.

Christ is a stumbling stone, so is the First Avatar and also the Prophet and False Prophet.

As I said, you life view is horrifyingly pessimistic.

I hope you find a path to hope.

Regardless nothing. You are motivated to make false claims entirely on the basis of partisanship.

Nobody cares....
Actually, you are not correct because I care. The fact is that $804 per week from the government adds up to nearly $42K per year. By contrast, someone working 40hrs per week and making $15/hr would make less than $32K/week. Do you not believe their are many people who would prefer not working at all and getting an extra $10K per year? Indeed, in 2020 after taxes that extra $10K was even greater because much of that government money was not even taxed.

So from my perspective Kushinator and Exquisitor are seriously losing this debate to code1211.

Actually, you are not correct because I care. The fact is that $804 per week from the government adds up to nearly $42K per year. By contrast, someone working 40hrs per week and making $15/hr would make less than $32K/week.
To be eligible for $804/week, you'd have to had been making more than $52k annually prior to the pandemic.

If you made $15/hr, you would be eligible for $588/week in NY until September 2021.
So from my perspective Kushinator and Exquisitor are seriously losing this debate to code1211.
🤣

Code claimed he knows someone was getting $1k per week when it's not possible. He likely suffers from the same limitations that led you to believe a person who made $15/hr was receiving $804/week in unemployment benefits.

Most of the people getting unemployment enhancement or expansion of eligibility are receiving pandemic unemployment assistance. Of the 14+ million receiving unemployment compensation, 10+ million are not what is considered insured unemployed... meaning they are not eligible for traditional benefits.

Your opinion doesn't matter because your knowledge of the topic really doesn't exist....

To be eligible for $804/week, you'd have to had been making more than $52k annually prior to the pandemic.

If you made $15/hr, you would be eligible for $588/week in NY until September 2021.

🤣

Code claimed he knows someone was getting $1k per week when it's not possible. He likely suffers from the same limitations that led you to believe a person who made $15/hr was receiving $804/week in unemployment benefits.

Most of the people getting unemployment enhancement or expansion of eligibility are receiving pandemic unemployment assistance. Of the 14+ million receiving unemployment compensation, 10+ million are not what is considered insured unemployed... meaning they are not eligible for traditional benefits.

Your opinion doesn't matter because your knowledge of the topic really doesn't exist....
Well perhaps you are more familiar with unemployment benefits than I am? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Federal government enhanced unemployment benefit was on top of the state's unemployment benefit, right? Since I am unaware of the state code1211's friend lived in I have no way of knowing whether or not your point is correct. But for the sake of this little debate I will assume for now you point is based on the facts.

However, even if you are correct that the enhanced unemployment benefit from the Federal government on top of some unknown (to me) state's unemployment benefit that the total benefit likely was sufficient to discourage many people to be all that motivated to look for a job. I believe that is the main point code1211 was trying to make so even assuming you are correct about the precise amounts code1211's friend was getting does not negate the likely reality that these enhanced unemployment benefits have been discouraging many unemployed people from taking a low paying job when their after tax income may have been as high or even higher than it was while working.

Perhaps we can agree that if there is little or no increase in one's net income and standard of living collecting government entitlements this will likely discourage many people from seeking a job unless they can find one that pays far more than what they can get not working at all? If that were not the case why is the % unemployment rate dropping more in states after they stop this enhanced Federal government benefit package?

It basically helped the super wealthy and corporate america who for the most part bought back their own stock.

The working person, not so much help for them and that help only last a short time, not so for the super wealthy and corporate america.

Trump told his wealthy acquaintances he was going to make them plenty of money. At least he kept one promise.

Perhaps we can agree that if there is little or no increase in one's net income and standard of living collecting government entitlements this will likely discourage many people from seeking a job unless they can find one that pays far more than what they can get not working at all? If that were not the case why is the % unemployment rate dropping more in states after they stop this enhanced Federal government benefit package?
The same shit was argued about expansion of eligibility back in 2009.... It's basically nonsense. Sure, there are instances where people are fully capable of working and are just holding off by continuing to collect on their benefits. I don't have any doubt about that. But to what degree is the important part. Currently, there are 4 million people getting traditional unemployment benefits with the $300 enhancement, and i guarantee you most of them were not making $50k+ a year.

The overwhelming majority of recipients (10 million+) of federal unemployment benefits are receiving less than $400/week. And yes, these are the folks who didn't qualify in the traditional sense, and so receive PEUC and PUA. Basically, anyone who was not working prior to the pandemic could claim they were a dog walker, mobile detailer, contractor, uber driver, etc... and get $400/week with back pay. There isn't any oversight, especially in shit-hole states that couldn't properly administer the funds in a timely manner, much less monitor 100x more recipients than their systems were designed to handle.

The same shit was argued about expansion of eligibility back in 2009.... It's basically nonsense. Sure, there are instances where people are fully capable of working and are just holding off by continuing to collect on their benefits. I don't have any doubt about that. But to what degree is the important part. Currently, there are 4 million people getting traditional unemployment benefits with the $300 enhancement, and i guarantee you most of them were not making $50k+ a year.

The overwhelming majority of recipients (10 million+) of federal unemployment benefits are receiving less than $400/week. And yes, these are the folks who didn't qualify in the traditional sense, and so receive PEUC and PUA. Basically, anyone who was not working prior to the pandemic could claim they were a dog walker, mobile detailer, contractor, uber driver, etc... and get $400/week with back pay. There isn't any oversight, especially in shit-hole states that couldn't properly administer the funds in a timely manner, much less monitor 100x more recipients than their systems were designed to handle.
I largely agree but there may have been quite a few people taking around $50K/year when the Federal benefit was $600/week. So code1211's friend may well have been one of them for all we know, right?

Of course, you certainly are correct that there was a lot of people fraudulent collecting those enhanced Federal unemployment benefits as you noted. I believe that many of the con artists defrauding US taxpayers thanks in part to poor oversight of those benefits allowed foreign scammers to collect billions of those benefits from CA alone if memory serves. Many states were simply not prepared for the huge number of people losing their jobs often due to government mandated lock downs that now appear to have done more net harm (economic and personal) than benefit to help people get through the pandemic. All very sad.

I largely agree but there may have been quite a few people taking around $50K/year when the Federal benefit was $600/week. So code1211's friend may well have been one of them for all we know, right?
Who cares? Nobody is claiming $600 enhancement on June of 2020 is keeping low skill / low wage workers from taking jobs. They are taking about benefits today.
Of course, you certainly are correct that there was a lot of people fraudulent collecting those enhanced Federal unemployment benefits as you noted. I believe that many of the con artists defrauding US taxpayers thanks in part to poor oversight of those benefits allowed foreign scammers to collect billions of those benefits from CA alone if memory serves.
Memory doesn't serve.
Many states were simply not prepared for the huge number of people losing their jobs often due to government mandated lock downs that now appear to have done more net harm (economic and personal) than benefit to help people get through the pandemic. All very sad.
You just can't come to grips huh? Even without a mandated lockdown, business activity was slowing to a crawl. The only thing that prevented a 1930s style depression was fiscal stimulus. Monetary stimulus ensured our financial system didn't cave in.

The major reason we are recovering so quickly is because unemployment benefits ensured aggregate demand didn't fall off a cliff. Even with fiscal support, just-in-time supply chain management has faced tremendous headwinds.

Can you explain why quit rates are now at the highest point on record? FWIW... if you quit your job you don't get UE benefits.

Can you explain why quit rates are now at the highest point on record? FWIW... if you quit your job you don't get UE benefits.

It's been fascinating seeing the changes to the workforce over the past few months. Those of us in corporate jobs have seen companies bending over backward to make it rewarding to stay, because professionals are taking advantage of the job market and using their current leverage to get the work situation which works best for them. One of the big drivers among office workers I know, is keeping the remote work model flexible. You can see the trends in some other industries below. The regional data was pretty surprising too.

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 2.07.13 PM.png
Source

Well I know those republican businessmen were dead set against raising the minimum wage but looks like the only way to entice these workers back to work is give them that raise

Well I know those republican businessmen were dead set against raising the minimum wage but looks like the only way to entice these workers back to work is give them that raise
Sure money is important... but i am beginning to believe we're witnessing a paradigm shift with respect to how employers approach employee relations.

Suddenly, working class America is not expendable.

For some of the people I know in the service industry, it simply came down to having to look for other jobs when their employers had to scale down restaurant/bar staff. They ended up in better jobs with benefits, so the flexibility they enjoyed in service jobs faced the realities of having decent benefits; going back doesn't look as viable.

For some of the people I know in the service industry, it simply came down to having to look for other jobs when their employers had to scale down restaurant/bar staff. They ended up in better jobs with benefits, so the flexibility they enjoyed in service jobs faced the realities of having decent benefits; going back doesn't look as viable.
And we are seeing a surge in entrepreneurism. People have learned they can take more control of their lives by capitalizing on business opportunities that have emerged due to pandemic life.

Look at the ETSY explosion.

And we are seeing a surge in entrepreneurism. People have learned they can take more control of their lives by capitalizing on business opportunities that have emerged due to pandemic life.

Look at the ETSY explosion.

Yep. One of the people I know was a chef who during the pandemic set up his own home cooked meal club, and it's really taken off. He was called back to work but didn't go because he's been busy scaling up his operation.

Yep. One of the people I know was a chef who during the pandemic set up his own home cooked meal club, and it's really taken off. He was called back to work but didn't go because he's been busy scaling up his operation.
Same here. A good friend went from being an executive chef in Chicago making $95k a year to an Uber version of take home chef. I can't imagine he makes more money... but I'm sure he appreciates working less than 70hrs a week.

To add @ElChupacabra :

Just talked to my buddy. His big reason for staying in this role is due to healthcare costs. New subsidies for health insurance... have freed me... to paraphrase.

Sure money is important... but i am beginning to believe we're witnessing a paradigm shift with respect to how employers approach employee relations.

Suddenly, working class America is not expendable.
Baby boomers have retired, millennials are pissed at employers, and the GOP cut off the illegal immigration that was taking up the slack.

The employers have nowhere to turn.

Back
Top Bottom