• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

***2016: New York Time's 60th anniversary of only endorsing democrats.......

It's been 60 years since the NYT endorsed a Republican presidential candidate. They have only endorsed 3 different republicans in the past 104 years.

Biased media? Naaah, what would possibly cause anyone to think that?:doh
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/opinion/presidential-endorsement-timeline.html?_r=0

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't they usually make primary endorsements even for Republicans? I could have sworn they endorsed McCain for the GOP primary in 2008...

The NYT and its editorial views are representative of its local readership, like nearly every other newspaper.

Hmm its readership is in decline, so democratic party identification must be, too...oh, look, it is !

Hmm its readership is in decline, so democratic party identification must be, too...oh, look, it is !

Find me a newspaper whose readership is NOT in decline.

I've never understood why it's so ingrained in the conservative psyche that everything is biased against them.

I've never understood why it's so ingrained in the conservative psyche that everything is biased against them.

I believe The Economist is doing okay.

This is why the American people need to stage a revolt against the two-party system, and never vote for another Democrat or Republican ever again. Probably never gonna happen, but still........

The NYT has not been a local paper for decades. They are a Democratic paper.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't they usually make primary endorsements even for Republicans? I could have sworn they endorsed McCain for the GOP primary in 2008...

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the NYT that fabricated a story about John McCain having an affair with one of his campaign workers during his 2008 Presidential run?

It's been 60 years since the NYT endorsed a Republican presidential candidate. They have only endorsed 3 different republicans in the past 104 years.

Biased media? Naaah, what would possibly cause anyone to think that?

..."bias" is the point of an editorial page.

Of course, that is an illogical conclusion drawn from an almost axiomatic postulate: The readership of substantially all daily newspapers are in decline, regardless of who they endorse.

Of course, that is an illogical conclusion drawn from an almost axiomatic postulate: The readership of substantially all daily newspapers are in decline, regardless of who they endorse.

Which I was doing to illustrate a point...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/opinion/presidential-endorsement-timeline.html?_r=0

Um Wrong: They endorsed John Kasich recently as did every other newspaper across the country. But these are people who routinely look at policy and diplomacy and analzye it and not catchy slogans dumbed down for people who probably don't read newspapers much.

The New York Times endorses Clinton, Kasich - POLITICO

Well yeah, they (and the New York Daily) are a central part of the NY political machine. So of course they'll only endorse Democrats. That'd be like expecting Fox News to endorse Hillary Clinton.

Um Wrong: They endorsed John Kasich recently as did every other newspaper across the country. But these are people who routinely look at policy and diplomacy and analzye it and not catchy slogans dumbed down for people who probably don't read newspapers much.

The New York Times endorses Clinton, Kasich - POLITICO

Ok before you go into your low information voter spiel, I think he meant the general. I mean, unless you think they are going to endorse Clinton in the Republican primary. The General election is where an endorsement counts, not the primaries.

Well yeah, they (and the New York Daily) are a central part of the NY political machine. So of course they'll only endorse Democrats. That'd be like expecting Fox News to endorse Hillary Clinton.

Yet we keep hearing they are unbiased, funny that.

Ok before you go into your low information voter spiel, I think he meant the general. I mean, unless you think they are going to endorse Clinton in the Republican primary. The General election is where an endorsement counts, not the primaries.

You may be right but he didn't necessarily argue about the general election. He didn't even link to who the NYT is endorsing because they actually did endorse Kasich and that would have blown his theory out of the water. It doesn't matter if it was primary season or not. I'm sure after Trump wiggles his way to the top, they will stand by their endorsement. You think his (will be) messy win will change that? Yeah riiiight! These things don't actually change once primary season is over. Look at the (few) newspapers who endorsed Romney during 2012. They didn't endorse Obama after Romney won the nomination. Silly Argument.

PS I'm not sure but you better not have been referring to me as low information voter. If you meant I was trying to educate low information voters by mentioning the Kasich endorsement you were right on track.

Last edited:

FYI...

"..... the news department of The Times and the editorial page are totally separate operations that do not consult or coordinate when it comes to news coverage and endorsements or other expressions of editorial opinion..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/business/media/21askthenewsroom.html?_r=1

Every year it seems someone needs to get schooled on the difference between the news and editorials.

Biased media? Naaah, what would possibly cause anyone to think that?
eusa_doh.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/opinion/presidential-endorsement-timeline.html

Seems the to be the case here. At least for the last 60 years, and even then, only 3 times in 104 years. That seems pretty biased against GOP candidates.

Why couldn't NYT be more unbiased? Seems their bias is clearly demonstrated. Wouldn't you say so Kobie?

Back
Top Bottom