• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2014 senate races

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Anyone want to predict what will happen in the 2014 senate races?
to me it looks like Harry Reid will still be majority leader because republicans have yet to find any top their candidates for important races.

does anyone have a senate race they are keeping their eye one.

Recently sarah palin hinted that she might run for alaska's senate seat held by democrat mark begich.

does anyone have a senate race they are keeping their eye one.

Recently sarah palin hinted that she might run for alaska's senate seat held by democrat mark begich.

Landrieu in LA, followed by Pryor in AR, Hagan in NC and the empty GA seat. Dems almost ran the table except for Carmona's slip of the tongue and Adelson's money. Dems threw a shut-out on the Canadian border, boding well for Begich. Repubs blew so many great chances--VA, MA, CN, MO, ND, MT, OH, FL, IN, WI, even MI.

Landrieu in LA, followed by Pryor in AR, Hagan in NC and the empty GA seat. Dems almost ran the table except for Carmona's slip of the tongue and Adelson's money. Dems threw a shut-out on the Canadian border, boding well for Begich. Repubs blew so many great chances--VA, MA, CN, MO, ND, MT, OH, FL, IN, WI, even MI.

iowa may become interesting, but i think republicans can't decide on who to run with as a canidate to replace tom harkin, if no canidate gets more than 35% of the vote in the primary the republicans will hold a convention to choose a nominee. and republicans should be worried about that because of what happened in Virgina, when they chose E.W Jackson as a candidate for lt. Governor

I don't know much about pryors and landrieu's chances but i think Kay hagen may have a chance depending on the republican nominee. if the republican speaker of the house or majority leader is nominated as the nominee then Hagen can tie every piece of unpopular legeslation that the NC legislature has passed onto her opponent.

The Republicans predicted that they would take the Senate in 2012. They assumed that with so many Democrats in Republican presidential states, with unemployment still above the historical norms, that they would waltz right in and sweep a few victories and gain the majority in the Senate.

Not only did they not gain a majority, they actually lost a couple of seats to the Democrats and lost in pretty conservative territory too.

Mid-terms are an off-year and Republicans lately have been doing better at turning out the vote in these times, so they do get a little advantage. I don't see them taking the Senate, but they could likely re-gain the numbers they lost in 2012.

iowa may become interesting, but i think republicans can't decide on who to run with as a canidate to replace tom harkin, if no canidate gets more than 35% of the vote in the primary the republicans will hold a convention to choose a nominee. and republicans should be worried about that because of what happened in Virgina, when they chose E.W Jackson as a candidate for lt. Governor

I don't know much about pryors and landrieu's chances but i think Kay hagen may have a chance depending on the republican nominee. if the republican speaker of the house or majority leader is nominated as the nominee then Hagen can tie every piece of unpopular legeslation that the NC legislature has passed onto her opponent.

With 19 of 33 seats to protect, Dems need a new strategy. I have proposed a mid-term convention next summer, to remind voters to vote and to rally support. In my state, Kirk is safe due to the stroke sympathy factor and that he is a RINO, allowed to stray by leadership especially on guns.

to me it looks like Harry Reid will still be majority leader because republicans have yet to find any top their candidates for important races.

Democrats holding on is more likely, but Republicans taking it is easily possible. Republicans need six to take over. South Dakota and West Virginia are almost certainly flips. Alaska, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Louisiana are about tossups. Iowa, Michigan, and Montana, (assuming Schweitzer runs, which he's hinted at), are leaning Democratic right now as they have coalesced around mid to high tier candidates while almost all strong GOP contenders there have declined to run. Republicans have a shot at New Hampshire, Colorado, and Oregon. Democrats have an outside shot at Georgia and Kentucky. Republicans have a very small shot, but a possibility, in Hawaii where there will likely be a messy Democratic primary.

I think that was back before when there was 14 seats up for the Demos.....things got bit more difficult and serious now. Since it is 20. ;)

20 Democratic US Senators Face Re-Election in 2014.....

http://ivn.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/us-senators-up-for-re-election-in-2014-44725.jpg?534800

This one may prove interesting. Quite a loss of money coming round to the Demos this time round. Since it was a total surprise.....huh?

16. Jay Rockefeller (West Virginia)

Course, that isn't counting all those losing heart in Obamacare. ;)

Watching the Hagan election here in NC I am going for Greg Brannon,Also watching the West Va senate race.

Watching the Hagan election here in NC I am going for Greg Brannon,Also watching the West Va senate race.

Mornin Lysander. :2wave: What are those races looking like at this point. I heard McConnell and those in Kentucky are already running TV ads. McConnell is in a tuff one against a tea party candidate.

Mornin Lysander. :2wave: What are those races looking like at this point. I heard McConnell and those in Kentucky are already running TV ads. McConnell is in a tuff one against a tea party candidate.

Hagan is leading by a decent margin thanks to the idiots in the state here destroying any chance a republican has at unseating Hagan.I hope we can unseat her but by the time the election is held I will be moved to Tn so hopefully we can get someone there to run.Not to sure about the WV one waiting to see if the Ron Paul republican candidate is able to win the primary...I live here in NC so much more interested in it.

Hagan is leading by a decent margin thanks to the idiots in the state here destroying any chance a republican has at unseating Hagan.I hope we can unseat her but by the time the election is held I will be moved to Tn so hopefully we can get someone there to run.Not to sure about the WV one waiting to see if the Ron Paul republican candidate is able to win the primary...I live here in NC so much more interested in it.

I doubt the Ron Paul Republican would beat Shelley Moore Capito in West Virginia. She's too good a candidate. If she lost though, there's a good chance that would just hand another seat to the Democrats.

I doubt the Ron Paul Republican would beat Shelley Moore Capito in West Virginia. She's too good a candidate. If she lost though, there's a good chance that would just hand another seat to the Democrats.

More than likely you are correct the few polls I have found have her winning 70% support right now.

She voted for amnesty and gun control. I think that has to hurt her. No?

I doubt it. Even though they may be unpopular, neither of them seem like issues so far that'll have any strong electoral effect. The economy and the approval of the republican legislature and mccrory will be more important IMO.

Do you believe your NC electorate will be swayed by the recent actions of your legislature to vote Hagan?

Hagan, I think, will most likely survive. The Republicans look like they have Steve Daines running in Montana, so they no longer have a recruitment problem there. Pryor looks like he's in a close race but I think that come mid-2014 or so he'll be dead in the water. Landrieu is probably safe because she's at least honest with the voters and doesn't vote based on getting reelected. Begich is in for a tough fight if he's against Treadwell but he'll crush Miller or Palin. South Dakota and West Virginia are already solid GOP pickups.
That's four pickups for the GOP. Alaska and one more and they control the Senate. But that's assuming they hold on to Georgia and Kentucky.

Back
Top Bottom