• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2013 Alaska Heat Wave: Record-Breaking Temperatures Bake 49th State

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I realize that a hot spell (or cold spell) Anyhwere does NOT Global Warming make or break, tho Alaska is a Big state.
Just had to post this Extraordinary story.
96° in Alaska - in the town that inspired 'Northern Exposure', that is itself 80 miles North of Anchorage!

AP | By By RACHEL D'ORO
06/19/2013

s-2013-ALASKA-HEAT-WAVE-large.jpg

This photo taken Monday, June 17, 2013, shows people sunning at Goose Lake in Anchorage, Alaska.
Parts of Alaska are setting High Temperature Records as a Heat wave continues Across Alaska. (AP Photo/Mark Thiessen)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A heat wave hitting Alaska may not rival the blazing heat of Phoenix or Las Vegas, but to residents of the 49th state, the days of hot weather feel like a stifling oven — or a tropical paradise.
With temperatures topping 80° in Anchorage, and higher in other parts of the state, people have been Sweltering in a place where few homes have air conditioning.

They're sunbathing and swimming at local lakes, hosing down their dogs and cleaning out supplies of fans in at least one local hardware store. Mid-June normally brings high temperatures in the 60s in Anchorage, and just a month ago, it was still snowing.
The weather feels like anywhere but Alaska to 18-year-old Jordan Rollison, who was sunbathing with three friends and several hundred others lolling at the beach of Anchorage's Goose Lake.
"I love it, I love it," Rollison said. "I've never seen a summer like this, ever."
State health officials even took the unusual step of posting a Facebook message reminding people to slather on the Sunscreen.

Some people aren't so thrilled, complaining that it's just too hot.
"It's almost unbearable to me," said Lorraine Roehl, who has lived in Anchorage for two years after moving here from the community of Sand Point in Alaska's Aleutian Islands. "I don't like being hot. I'm used to cool ocean breeze."

On Tuesday, the official afternoon high in Anchorage was 81°, breaking the city's record of 80 set in 1926 for that date.
Other smaller communities throughout a wide swath of the state are seeing even higher temperatures.
All-time highs were recorded elsewhere, including 96° on Monday 80 miles to the north in the small community of Talkeetna, purported to be the inspiration for the town in the TV series, "Northern Exposure"
and the last stop for climbers heading to Mount McKinley, North America's tallest mountain.

One unofficial reading taken at a lodge near Talkeetna even measured 98°,
which would tie the highest undisputed temperature recorded in Alaska.

[........]

Last edited:
I said/was quite careful to say, "a hot (or cold spell) Anywhere does NOT Global Warming make or break". (Of course, it's not likely to happen during a New Ice Age though)
But that I "had to post this Extraordinary story", nevertheless.

Posting a strawman as usual, you say "flipside", AS IF I didn't cover that eventuality/point.
So flogger, as always the Gratuitous objection to a claim that was NOT made. (I again post NOT in caps)
Your post, indeed those of all the deniers here, are Not up to/near debate.
This story is just so Hard-Hitting, even to you, you felt the irresistible compulsion to reply - with Nothing.
Baked Alaska.
Read it and Weep.

EDIT: Better size JPG than OP from SF Chronicle:
628x471.jpg

This photo taken Monday, June 17, 2013, shows people sunning at Goose Lake in Anchorage, Alaska.
Parts of Alaska are setting high temperature records as a heat wave continues across Alaska.
Temperatures are nothing like what Phoenix or Las Vegas gets, but temperatures in the 80s and 90s are hot for Alaska, where few buildings have air conditioning. Photo: Mark Thiessen

Last edited:
I said/was quite careful to say a hot or cold spell "does NOT Global Warming make or break". (Of course it's not likely to happen during a New Ice Age though

But that I "had to post this Extraordinary story", nbevertheless.

So posting a strawman as usual, you say "flipside", AS IF I didn't cover that eventuality/point.
So flogger,as always the gratuitous objection to a claim that was NOT made.
This story is just so Hard-Hitting tho, even to Him, he felt the irresistable compulsion to reply - with Nothing.

I'm more than happy to let others decide whether I responded to it with 'nothing' or not. The reason you posted this particular story was because of the usual inferences you were trying to make. There are plenty of 'extraordinary' stories of this nature worldwide every year both hot and cold wet or dry and there doubtless always have ,before we were programmed to feel guilty about them all . This is just another one :roll:

Last edited:
NASA - Rare Clear View of Alaska

756319main_alaska_tmo_2013168_lrg-946.jpg

On most days, relentless rivers of clouds wash over Alaska, obscuring most of the state's 6,640 miles (10,690 kilometers) of coastline and 586,000 square miles (1,518,000 square kilometers) of land. The south coast of Alaska even has the dubious distinction of being the cloudiest region of the United States, with some locations averaging more than 340 cloudy days per year.

That was certainly not the case on June 17, 2013, the date that the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite acquired this rare, nearly cloud-free view of the state. The absence of clouds exposed a striking tapestry of water, ice, land, forests, and even wildfires.

Snow-covered mountains such as the Alaska Range and Chugach Mountains were visible in southern Alaska, while the arc of mountains that make up the Brooks Range dominated the northern part of the state. The Yukon River -- the longest in Alaska and the third longest in the United States -- wound its way through the green boreal forests that inhabit the interior of the state. Plumes of sediment and glacial dust poured into the Gulf of Alaska from the Copper River. And Iliamna Lake, the largest in Alaska, was ice free.

The same ridge of high pressure that cleared Alaska's skies also brought stifling temperatures to many areas accustomed to chilly June days. Talkeetna, a town about 100 miles north of Anchorage, saw temperatures reach 96°F (36°C) on June 17. Other towns in southern Alaska set all-time record highs, including Cordova, Valez, and Seward. The high temperatures also helped fuel wildfires and hastened the breakup of sea ice in the Chukchi Sea.

Image Credit: NASA/Jeff Schmaltz, LANCE MODIS Rapid Response Team, NASA GSFC
Caption: Adam Voiland

Last edited:
I hope the Alaskans are enjoying thier lovely weather

Interior Alaska still cooking, with Eagle hitting 92 degrees | Alaska Dispatch

Whew! Interior Alaska still cooking, with Eagle hitting 92°

Laurel Andrews
August 14, 2013
Anchorage may have had a relatively warm summer, but Alaska’s largest city can’t compare to the heat baking Interior Alaska. Even as autumn approaches, the Interior community of Eagle is cooking – the town of roughly 85 people recorded 92 degrees on Monday, the highest temperature ever recorded so late in the summer.

Ominous undertones to Alaska's summer of sunshine?
We’ve had some warm summers, but nothing compared to this," said John Borg, weather observer with the National Weather Service in Eagle since 1974.

“As of yesterday we’ve had 38 days of 80° and higher,”
he added. Monday’s high temperature of 92° was the hottest day Ever recorded so late in the summer. The highest temperature so far this summer was 94 degrees on June 27.

Back
Top Bottom