• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2012 Movie

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I watched the movie last night after we got it from the library.

I cannot believe someone actually made this into a movie.

I mean, the 2012 stuff is dumb to begin with but then you try to lever it into a movie with science so soft you can spread if on a sandwich and it just gets even MORE irritating.

This movie HAS eroded all faith in movie critics though. This is apparently the 33rd highest grossing movie in the world....and yet was described by most critics as a lame-fest non-parallel which I have to agree with.

Suspension of disbelief is a fragile thing and having people watch your movie who AREN'T complete idiots will break that suspension if your grasp on science is that shaky.

Good gods I'm glad I never paid to go see it.

ive seen worse, my favorite character in the movie was that rich russian guy, funniest part was when everyone was panicking the bentley wouldn't start. their all yelling then he says shutup! everyone goes quiet and then in his russian accent he say's ''engine start'' then it turns on..priceless.

I don't get to the movies often, but I see plenty on DV. I'm a bit worried that the economic crisis has had a worse effect on cinema than on any other art form. I haven't seen a single movie made in the past 2 years that was any good at all. Nothing. Can anyone set me straight? Have there been any decent movies made this year?

I don't get to the movies often, but I see plenty on DV. I'm a bit worried that the economic crisis has had a worse effect on cinema than on any other art form. I haven't seen a single movie made in the past 2 years that was any good at all. Nothing. Can anyone set me straight? Have there been any decent movies made this year?

Don't condition a movie's greatness with its budget.

Good gods I'm glad I never paid to go see it.

I'm with you.

Anybody who has seen both "2012" and "Ninja Terminator" can state with authority that "Ninja Terminator" had more style and substance and plot -- despite being one of the cheesiest b-rated kung-fu flicks of all time.

TED,
Can state that with authority. Sadly.

Don't condition a movie's greatness with its budget.

That wasn't my point at all. I'm saying that, perhaps, because of the crisis the film producers are playing safe and just green-lighting formulaic, sure-fire box office type movies, rather than more interesting and risky projects.

I'm pretty sick of movies based on comic books or 1970s TV series. I'm sick of Jennifer Aniston rom-coms and sick of horror spoofs and remakes.

Can anyone recommend me a good, intelligent drama or thriller that has been released in the past 12 months?

That wasn't my point at all. I'm saying that, perhaps, because of the crisis the film producers are playing safe and just green-lighting formulaic, sure-fire box office type movies, rather than more interesting and risky projects.

I'm pretty sick of movies based on comic books or 1970s TV series. I'm sick of Jennifer Aniston rom-coms and sick of horror spoofs and remakes.

Can anyone recommend me a good, intelligent drama or thriller that has been released in the past 12 months?
The Last Airbender was pretty good if you could read all the subtext that was in it.

I never saw 2012 because it looked like a CGI flick to me, and I'm not into those.

The only movies I tend to really like are ones where the focus is on the acting, and not everything that's going on around them. I don't like long and drawn out action sequences that don't really add anything to the plot. They just bore me, and they're a waste of money.

Hollywood has declined in the past 10 years or so, and especially in the last 5. There are too many popcorn flicks with non-thinking plots that cater to the masses, and it's because they are the most profitable. Inception is an example of a movie that I felt made me think.

The Last Airbender was pretty good if you could read all the subtext that was in it.

Not a Shayamalammadingdong fan. Sixth Sense was okay but Lady in the Lake (was that the title?) was possibly the worst film ever made (apart from Moulin Rouge, of course).

Hollywood has declined in the past 10 years or so, and especially in the last 5. There are too many popcorn flicks with non-thinking plots that cater to the masses, and it's because they are the most profitable. Inception is an example of a movie that I felt made me think.
Every generation tends to think this, and that our generation somehow lacks something because of our entertainment. People tend to forget that for every Inherit The Wind, there were probably fifty or a hundred Battlefield Earth's of that generation, we've just forgotten about all the crappy movies and all we remember are the good movies. Time makes us forget crappy movies so that future generations only really get to see the best of the bygone's movies.

I never saw 2012 because it looked like a CGI flick to me, and I'm not into those.

The only movies I tend to really like are ones where the focus is on the acting, and not everything that's going on around them. I don't like long and drawn out action sequences that don't really add anything to the plot. They just bore me, and they're a waste of money.

I wasn't really just thinking of Hollywood. Most of European film industries are in the doldrums too. Italy hasn't turned out a decent movie in years. Germany seems to be doing best. I am a big Michael Haneke fan so The White Ribbon is the current film I most want to see. Inception looks interesting. But now I'm struggling.

Not a Shayamalammadingdong fan. Sixth Sense was okay but Lady in the Lake (was that the title?) was possibly the worst film ever made (apart from Moulin Rouge, of course).
Lady in the Water? That was a good movie, what was wrong with it?

I dont really go by directors, I go by the movies themselves. I think avoiding a movie specifically because of a director is dumb, even a crappy director can screw up and produce something interesting every now and then. Even if the film itself is bad, it can still have an interesting concept or presentation of something in it.

Take Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux. Both were unabashedly terrible movies (Which is impressive, screwing up a movie with Milla Jovovich is hard to do) yet they both presented interesting depictions of futuristic societies and technologies. They both had at least some actors that played their parts well and they had some good action sequences in them.

Push was a great movie. The concept was interesting yet uncomplicated, the presentation was good and simple, the visuals were good and the actors played their parts very well. It wasn't cheesy or kitschy unless it was part of the plot and the movie itself made sense. And, come one, Camille Belle, you CANNOT go wrong with a Camille Belle character.

The Last Airbender is the worst piece of crap I have seen in years, and I was an avid follower of the animated series (which rocked, by the way). I didn't think it was possible to take a series canon and mess up every possible thing about it, but Shyamalan successfully did it. Even the character names in the movie were not pronounced correctly. I am officially boycotting that guy's movies from now on.

2012, was not a bad movie. It was action packed.

I dont really go by directors, I go by the movies themselves. I think avoiding a movie specifically because of a director is dumb, even a crappy director can screw up and produce something interesting every now and then. Even if the film itself is bad, it can still have an interesting concept or presentation of something in it.

Take Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux. Both were unabashedly terrible movies (Which is impressive, screwing up a movie with Milla Jovovich is hard to do) yet they both presented interesting depictions of futuristic societies and technologies. They both had at least some actors that played their parts well and they had some good action sequences in them.

Push was a great movie. The concept was interesting yet uncomplicated, the presentation was good and simple, the visuals were good and the actors played their parts very well. It wasn't cheesy or kitschy unless it was part of the plot and the movie itself made sense. And, come one, Camille Belle, you CANNOT go wrong with a Camille Belle character.

I think we have very different tastes. Lady in the Water was all over the place. The plot had so many holes in it, it should have been called the Lady in the Perrier. Signs was another Shyawigwambam abortion of a film. Bad enough to have the always awful Gibson, but the aliens were ludicrous and it just petered out into idiocy.

The other three movies you mentioned I haven't seen. I hadn't even heard of the two you said were awful. Push, I can't comment.

I do go with directors, as I go with authors. A good director can always make a bad movie, but a bad director USUALLY makes bad movies. I'll always try something by someone new, but once bitten twice shy. I won't go to see stuff by Shyawotsit again, nor Baz Luhrmann, nor McG, nor Michael Bay... life's just too short. I will go see anything by Paul Greengrass, Paul Haggis, Michael Haneke, Ang Lee, Pedro Almodóvar, Alfonso Cuarón, the Coens or Peter Weir. None of them have made a bad movie.

watchmen was quite good. powder blue was another good one, and you should definitely watch shutter island. but I agree with you that the quality in general is declining. in fact, I never expected a director like james cameron which had made such deep and meaningful movies like terminator 2 and titanic to make something as stupid as avatar. the aliens were actually blue 13th century's native americans with tails and connection sockets which we've last seen in matrix!

btw, "in bruges" maybe a little older, but it definitely worths a look.

Last edited:
watchmen was quite good. powder blue was another good one, and you should definitely watch shutter island. but I agree with you that the quality in general is declining. in fact, I never expected a director like james cameron which had made such deep and meaningful movies like terminator 2 and titanic to make something as stupid as avatar. the aliens were actually blue 13th century's native americans with tails and connection sockets which we've last seen in matrix!

btw, "in bruges" maybe a little older, but it definitely worths a look.

Thanks for that. I've not heard of the first two (is Watchmen a superhero movie? Don't really get into superheroes) and missed Shutter Island, I'll try to get the DVD. Hated Avatar, hated Titanic (A Night to Remember is far superior) but loved Terminator 2. I've seen In Bruges and loved it, apart from Ralph Fiennes.

Thanks for that. I've not heard of the first two (is Watchmen a superhero movie? Don't really get into superheroes) and missed Shutter Island, I'll try to get the DVD. Hated Avatar, hated Titanic (A Night to Remember is far superior) but loved Terminator 2. I've seen In Bruges and loved it, apart from Ralph Fiennes.
gotta see that ^

watchmen is a different kind of superhero movie. I hate that genre too, but I saw watchmen with an open mind and I'm lying if I say I didn't enjoy it.

Aeon Flux was horrible

Ultraviolet bad but not as bad, if only because of Milla

gotta see that ^

watchmen is a different kind of superhero movie. I hate that genre too, but I saw watchmen with an open mind and I'm lying if I say I didn't enjoy it.

A Night to Remember was a 1958 movie about Titanic. Terrific cast and script, ropey FX, but what would you expect.

A Night to Remember (1958)

The Last Airbender is the worst piece of crap I have seen in years, and I was an avid follower of the animated series (which rocked, by the way). I didn't think it was possible to take a series canon and mess up every possible thing about it, but Shyamalan successfully did it. Even the character names in the movie were not pronounced correctly. I am officially boycotting that guy's movies from now on.
So what? Does it HAVE to be canon to be a good movie?

I think we have very different tastes. Lady in the Water was all over the place. The plot had so many holes in it, it should have been called the Lady in the Perrier. Signs was another Shyawigwambam abortion of a film. Bad enough to have the always awful Gibson, but the aliens were ludicrous and it just petered out into idiocy.
I think you're right, you seem to have an almost...film critic professor view of movies; you dont like them because they're pedestrian or because they dont strictly fall under the standards of the auteur theory of film.

This is not meant as an insult, but this is the way you're coming across.

If that is the case, then yes we have radically different views on film because I tend to take film for what it is. I dont try to classify or quantify it. I try to read subtext if I can find it, wonder if it was intentional, consider concepts presented in the movie, and toy with new ideas film presents, but beyond that I think you get into over-analyzing something that really shouldnt be.

I like to think I can find something enjoyable in ANY film, even the worst films on earth. I was even able to find aspects of Apocalypto (one of the worst films on earth) enjoyable.

The other three movies you mentioned I haven't seen. I hadn't even heard of the two you said were awful. Push, I can't comment.
I highly recommend Push, it's quite good. And again, Camille Belle, cant go wrong with her.

I do go with directors, as I go with authors. A good director can always make a bad movie, but a bad director USUALLY makes bad movies. I'll always try something by someone new, but once bitten twice shy. I won't go to see stuff by Shyawotsit again, nor Baz Luhrmann, nor McG, nor Michael Bay... life's just too short. I will go see anything by Paul Greengrass, Paul Haggis, Michael Haneke, Ang Lee, Pedro Almodóvar, Alfonso Cuarón, the Coens or Peter Weir. None of them have made a bad movie.
You seem to be missing some key points of some of these people's career. I cant comment on the more exotic names on the roll sheet, but Paul Haggis I know worked on movies like the last 2 James Bond movies (which were atrociously bad) and Terminator Salvation, very Michael Bay territory. Paul Greengrass worked on two or three of the Bourne movies and I wouldnt have nominated them for screen glory and you're toeing the Michael Bay-style line right there anyways.

Aeon Flux was horrible

Ultraviolet bad but not as bad, if only because of Milla
Both had very good potential. Aeon was somewhat redeemed by Theron's performance, she was quite good in her role and the portrayal of the society and technologies involved were very interesting.

Last edited:
Both had very good potential. Aeon was somewhat redeemed by Theron's performance, she was quite good in her role and the portrayal of the society and technologies involved were very interesting.

Aeon flux was not dark enough, it should have had the same imagery as Batman Begins. The MTV cartoon had a good level of darkness

Ultraviolet suffered from the same thing, if it had more feel like V is for Vendetta it would have been better

Aeon flux was not dark enough, it should have had the same imagery as Batman Begins. The MTV cartoon had a good level of darkness

Ultraviolet suffered from the same thing, if it had more feel like V is for Vendetta it would have been better
The darkness conflicts with the image of the future as clean. The future as depicted by Aeon Flux was supposed to be a clean cut image.

Back
Top Bottom