• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2010–11 UEFA Champions League

Apocalypse

DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Kicks off today.

Today's matches:

Twente - Inter

Bremen - Tottenham

Lyon - Schalke

Benfica - H. Tel-Aviv

Man. United - Rangers

Bursaspor - Valencia

Barca - Panathinaikos

København - Rubin

Kicks off today.

Today's matches:

Twente - Inter

Inter win

Bremen - Tottenham

Bremen should do it, more experience in this contest and at home.

Lyon - Schalke

Lyon, but Schalke could surprise.

Benfica - H. Tel-Aviv

Benfica based on home advantage.

Man. United - Rangers

Man U.

Bursaspor - Valencia

toss up.. normally I would say Valencia, but Turkish sides suck to play against away.

Barca - Panathinaikos

Barca

København - Rubin

A tricky one, since Rubin has spent the 5th most money in the closed season of any club in the world. Could go either way to be honest.

Results of today's matches:

Twente 2-2 Internazionale

Bremen 2-2 Tottenham

Lyon 1-0 Schalke

Benfica 2-0 H. Tel-Aviv

Man. United 0-0 Rangers

Bursaspor 0-4 Valencia

Barcelona 5-1 Panathinaikos

København 1-0 Rubin

Today's matches:

Group E
Bayren - Roma
CFR Cluj - Basel

Group F
Marseille - Spartak Moskva
Zilina - Chelsea

Group G
Real Madrid - Ajax
Milan - Auxerre

Group H
Arsenal - Braga
Shakthtar - Partizan

Interesting matches in my opinion would be Shakthar - Partizan and Real - Ajax.

Group E
Bayren 2-0 Roma
CFR Cluj 2-1 Basel

Group F
Marseille 0-1 Spartak Moskva
Zilina 1-4 Chelsea

Group G
Real Madrid 2-0 Ajax
Milan 2-0 Auxerre

Group H
Arsenal 6-0 Braga
Shakhtar 1-0 Partizan

The English teams (Arsenal, Chelsea) were raping today, Zilina's lone goal against Chelsea was an hilarious own-goal.

Today's matches:

Group E
Basel - Bayren
Roma - CFR Cluj

Group F
Spartak Moskva - Žilina
Chelsea - Marseille

Group G
Auxerre - Real Madrid
Ajax - Milan

Group H
Partizan - Arsenal
Braga - Shakhtar Donetsk

And both are off to a good start domestically as well... Both were very impressive...

Chelsea's goal differential in the English premier league is freakin' amazing, even after their first failure.

Group E
Basel 1-2 Bayren
Roma 2-1 CFR Cluj

Group F
Spartak Moskva 3-0 Žilina
Chelsea 2-0 Marseille

Group G
Auxerre 0-1 Real Madrid
Ajax 1-1 Milan

Group H
Partizan 1-3 Arsenal
Braga 0-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

Today's matches:

Group A
Tottenham - Twente
Inter - Bremen

Group B
H. Tel-Aviv - Lyon
Schalke - Benfica

Group C
Valencia - ManU
Rangers - Bursaspor

Group D
Rubin - Barca
Panathinaikos - København

-- Ajax 1-1 Milan --

Nice to see Ajax doing well, there was a period where their away record was the only thing getting them through the Champion's League games.

What a night, a rain of penalty kicks and a hat-trick for Eto'o.

Today's matches results:

Group A
Tottenham 4-1 Twente
Inter 4-0 Bremen

Group B
H. Tel-Aviv 1-3 Lyon
Schalke 2-0 Benfica

Group C
Valencia 0-1 ManU
Rangers 1-0 Bursaspor

Group D
Rubin 1-1 Barca
Panathinaikos 0-2 København

We're getting down to the last few major teams and Man U played a blinder to defeat Chelsea on Chelsea ground - not good for Ancellotti's long term plans to stay at Chelsea..

Elsewhere, a little known team called "Barcelona" defeated Shaktar Donesk 5-1....

We're getting down to the last few major teams and Man U played a blinder to defeat Chelsea on Chelsea ground - not good for Ancellotti's long term plans to stay at Chelsea..

Elsewhere, a little known team called "Barcelona" defeated Shaktar Donesk 5-1....

Yea looks like a Schalke vs Man U and Real Madrid vs Barcelona semi final. Only the Man U vs Chealski game is at doubt imo. No way Inter is gonna turn 5-2 home defeat, and no way Tottenham or Shaktar are gonna score 4+ against the Spanish teams.

As for the final... well Man U/Chealski should be able to defeat Shalke, and Barca should be able to defeat Real.. however since Barca and Real have to meet 4 more times this season, then who knows.

-- As for the final... well Man U/Chealski should be able to defeat Shalke--

It will be Man U. Having spent £50million on Torres (who already looked out of it at Liverpool and for Spain in the World Cup - Chelsea will continue to try and see if he can turn things around and this will be at the cost of other strikers more likely to score.

It will be Man U. Having spent £50million on Torres (who already looked out of it at Liverpool and for Spain in the World Cup - Chelsea will continue to try and see if he can turn things around and this will be at the cost of other strikers more likely to score.

Personally I think Torres needs a vacation and to get the hell out of the UK. He is a brilliant attacker but the English game is far too slow and physical for him.

Semi Final

Man U - Schalke 04

Barcelona FC - Real Madrid FC.

ManU - Madrid final, Madrid taking the title.

ManU - Madrid final, Madrid taking the title.

Baiter!!!

It might be.. Barca and Real Madrid play each other 4 times the next 18 days, so in many ways it depends on how that run starts out for each team. If Real suffer another heavy defeat in Madrid to Barca on Saturday then it could break Real like it did last season and cost the coach his job. That would throw Real into chaos. On the flip side, if Real finally beat Barca, then that could up their moral for the next 3 games.

And it also depends a lot on injuries and bannings to key people. Barca vs Real matches have a tendency to have quite a few yellow and red cards and the fact that Real is missing a critical defender in the first game against Barca in the semi final might be significant.

But as it stands now Barca are playing much better than Real and that alone could mean you are wrong. But since Barca has 3 trophies to win still and Real can only reach 2 and in all Real have to beat Barca to win... then I have no doubt that Murinoh will pull out all the dirty tricks and tactics he can, because his job is on the line. He could as I said, be out of there already by Monday if Real looses heavily again to Barca. The 5-0 thumping earlier in the season almost cost his job then heh.

Last edited:
Baiter!!!

It might be.. Barca and Real Madrid play each other 4 times the next 18 days, so in many ways it depends on how that run starts out for each team. If Real suffer another heavy defeat in Madrid to Barca on Saturday then it could break Real like it did last season and cost the coach his job. That would throw Real into chaos. On the flip side, if Real finally beat Barca, then that could up their moral for the next 3 games.

And it also depends a lot on injuries and bannings to key people. Barca vs Real matches have a tendency to have quite a few yellow and red cards and the fact that Real is missing a critical defender in the first game against Barca in the semi final might be significant.

But as it stands now Barca are playing much better than Real and that alone could mean you are wrong. But since Barca has 3 trophies to win still and Real can only reach 2 and in all Real have to beat Barca to win... then I have no doubt that Murinoh will pull out all the dirty tricks and tactics he can, because his job is on the line. He could as I said, be out of there already by Monday if Real looses heavily again to Barca. The 5-0 thumping earlier in the season almost cost his job then heh.

I think Barca is going to beat Madrid in the league game, then Madrid will win all of the 3 left games or at least 2 out of 3.
Reason? Mourinho knows the league is no longer his concern since Barca has secured the championship a long time ago. He's going to let his players know that they are to save their power for the other 3 games, especially the two champions league games. Mourinho was always the ultimate manager for the champions league and I can absolutely see him lifting the cup again and becoming the first (?) manager to lift the Champions cup with three different teams.

Besides, Barca are not at their best and their defense in the two games against the Ukrainians (Brazilians) was horrible.
Then again ManU is a tough team and in the case the final is ManU - Madrid it'd still be a tough call.

Last edited:
I think Barca is going to beat Madrid in the league game, then Madrid will win all of the 3 left games or at least 2 out of 3.

Then you do not understand what is at stake. Real Madrid are already not played as they "should" according to the fans and board. They want flair, they want "barca like" football. They are playing like a bunch of Italians. They totally rely on Ronaldo for scoring goals and if he has an off day or is kept at bay, then they have nothing.

Also, any time Real looses to Barcelona, the manager of Real is close to get kicked. They lost 5-0 in the first game and if they loose again in La Liga and especially if they loose badly, then Mourinho's job is hanging in a thread. Barca has not won the Kings cup in ages, and it has been (ironically) a priority for the management this season. And finally if Barca win both the league game and the Kings Cup then Mourinho will most likely not be on the bench for the first Champions League match. 3 losses to Barca in a season is unheard of for Real and a huge hit to their confidence.. both players and fans.

Reason? Mourinho knows the league is no longer his concern since Barca has secured the championship a long time ago.

Nothing is secure and it was only last weekend when Real lost to a much lower league team (which put Mourinho under huge pressure), that Mourinho admitted that the La Liga title run was all but over and that resulted in calls for his firing. He is also in an internal battle with the head of football, and does not have the full backing of the President as it is.

He's going to let his players know that they are to save their power for the other 3 games, especially the two champions league games.

Then he wont be on the bench on Saturday if he does that. Plus I doubt the "real" Real players, who have huge power in the dressing room (Casilias, Ramos), will in no way accept giving up on the game on Saturday. It will cause a riot in the dressing room. They live for the El Classico each year.

Mourinho was always the ultimate manager for the champions league and I can absolutely see him lifting the cup again and becoming the first (?) manager to lift the Champions cup with three different teams.

Yes he has been good, but with the most expensive team before Real Madrid, Chealski, he failed over and over again...And yes he would be the first manager to lift it with 3 teams if they win.

Besides, Barca are not at their best and their defense in the two games against the Ukrainians (Brazilians) was horrible.

Dont matter if they score 5 goals. Plus Puyol should be back for Saturdays game. And like it or not, Barca has one of the best defensive records in Europe.. by only letting 22 goals in in all competitions (minus the Kings Cup) and scoring over 100 goals so far this season.

Then again ManU is a tough team and in the case the final is ManU - Madrid it'd still be a tough call.

I would not count out Schalke just yet.

Then you do not understand what is at stake. Real Madrid are already not played as they "should" according to the fans and board. They want flair, they want "barca like" football. They are playing like a bunch of Italians. They totally rely on Ronaldo for scoring goals and if he has an off day or is kept at bay, then they have nothing.

Also, any time Real looses to Barcelona, the manager of Real is close to get kicked. They lost 5-0 in the first game and if they loose again in La Liga and especially if they loose badly, then Mourinho's job is hanging in a thread. Barca has not won the Kings cup in ages, and it has been (ironically) a priority for the management this season. And finally if Barca win both the league game and the Kings Cup then Mourinho will most likely not be on the bench for the first Champions League match. 3 losses to Barca in a season is unheard of for Real and a huge hit to their confidence.. both players and fans.

Nothing is secure and it was only last weekend when Real lost to a much lower league team (which put Mourinho under huge pressure), that Mourinho admitted that the La Liga title run was all but over and that resulted in calls for his firing. He is also in an internal battle with the head of football, and does not have the full backing of the President as it is.

Then he wont be on the bench on Saturday if he does that. Plus I doubt the "real" Real players, who have huge power in the dressing room (Casilias, Ramos), will in no way accept giving up on the game on Saturday. It will cause a riot in the dressing room. They live for the El Classico each year

Barca is leading by 8 points, even if they lose the classico they're still up by 5 and they're not a team that's going to lose much points (if at all) to the teams that they have left to play against, while Madrid can be counted on to lose more points during this season. While a mathematical chance still exists, there is no practical chance for Madrid to take the championship and they are better off concentrating on the rest of the titles. Now I'm not saying they're going to lose on purpose, they'd try to win and clearly to avoid a huge defeat again but they would concentrate more on the other three games and I believe that they're going to beat Barca in the semis of the champions league and are likely to take the cup too.

Yes he has been good, but with the most expensive team before Real Madrid, Chealski, he failed over and over again...And yes he would be the first manager to lift it with 3 teams if they win.

Chelsea is cursed, but I hear he's going back there next season, perhaps he'll finally break the curse though I doubt it.

Dont matter if they score 5 goals. Plus Puyol should be back for Saturdays game. And like it or not, Barca has one of the best defensive records in Europe.. by only letting 22 goals in in all competitions (minus the Kings Cup) and scoring over 100 goals so far this season.

I don't think the records mean much when it concerns the classico. It has its own rules and I strongly believe that the 5-0 from the beginning of the season was a one-time show.

I would not count out Schalke just yet.

I would. They're a great team and Raul is one of the all-time best players but the lightning doesn't strike twice on the same spot and Inter of this season is one hell of a failure.

I don't think the records mean much when it concerns the classico. It has its own rules and I strongly believe that the 5-0 from the beginning of the season was a one-time show.

HAHAH you have no clue then on El Classico. One-time show... you forget the 6-2 thumping Real Madrid got at home last season. And you forget, that Real Madrid has not won against Barca since 2008. And you forget the 4-1 thumping Barca got in 2008, or the 3-3 game in 2007, the 4-2 to Real in 2005 or the 3-0 to Barca in 2004. Hardly a one off..

HAHAH you have no clue then on El Classico. One-time show... you forget the 6-2 thumping Real Madrid got at home last season. And you forget, that Real Madrid has not won against Barca since 2008. And you forget the 4-1 thumping Barca got in 2008, or the 3-3 game in 2007, the 4-2 to Real in 2005 or the 3-0 to Barca in 2004. Hardly a one off..

Real Madrid will not lose 5-0 to Barcelona again

If you weren't so arrogant I wouldn't be saying it.. but.. owned.

Real Madrid will not lose 5-0 to Barcelona again

If you weren't so arrogant I wouldn't be saying it.. but.. owned.

Me owned? You are the one (one could say as usual) that put your own foot in your own mouth by claiming that a large scoreline like 5-0 was a rare event. I proved you wrong.

But will it end like that tonight? Depends on how the game goes, but it could very well, just as it could end 0-0 and a snore. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom