• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2009 - 98% of Pregnant Women Who Went To PP get Abortions

Brooks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
According to its 2009 report, PP performed 332,278 abortions, saw 7,021 prenatal care clients, and gave 977 adoption referrals to other agencies.
In total, according to their own statistics, they assisted 340,276 pregnant women.
Of that 340,276, 332,278 got abortions.

That means that, by PP's own numbers, 97.6495 of all pregnant women who went to PP in 2009 had abortions.

More recent numbers from 2011:

According to its 2012 report, PP performed 333,964 abortions, saw 28,674 prenatal care clients, and gave 2300 adoption referrals to other agencies.
In total, according to their own statistics, they assisted 364,938 pregnant women.
Of that 364,938, 333,964 got abortions.

That means that, by PP's own numbers, 94.9 of all pregnant women who went to PP in 2011 had abortions.

2009: 404 - Page Not Found - Planned Parenthood

2011: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_Services.pdf
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_Services.pdf

Where are you getting the 98% abortion percentage? The last two links don't support that and the first one I can't seem to access. Could you post something else to support that claim? The link actually shows that 333,964 abortions done was 3% of their services and I don't see the number of pregnant women serviced.

Conservative Meme: PP is evil; must destroy PP.

Assuming your numbers are correct, it kinda makes sense - I think it unlikely that someone who has not encountered issues which might cause them to consider abortion would even bother going to see planned parenthood.

Hell, some of the people who go there probably are predisposed towards that option.

Edit: Also, your first link is dead.

According to its 2012 report, PP performed 333,964 abortions, saw 28,674 prenatal care clients, and gave 2300 adoption referrals to other agencies.
In total, according to their own statistics, they assisted 364,938 pregnant women.

That means that, by PP's own numbers, 94.9 of all pregnant women who went to PP in 2011 had abortions.

Yeah, you're burying the headline. Conservatives think Planned Parenthood is nothing but an assembly line of abortion performing Feminazibots.

The same report shows:
4.5 Million instances of STD detection and treatment
3.4 Million contraception services
1.3 Million cancer screening and prevention
1.2 Million pregnancy tests

All in all 10.9 Million services performed. That's equal to, you got it, 3% of all services being abortions.

My girlfriend uses PP to get contraception so she won't get pregnant. That's how you reduce abortions.

Unless you're opposed to contraception?

This actually started in another thread. Someone asked me to produce the numbers. They're just numbers.

AmericanWoman, the 3% number comes from the number of abortions divided into the total number of services they perform, roughly 11 million.
The 11 million services is done for 3 million clients.
So the two ways of saying what you're saying is:
1. 3% of all services performed at PP are abortions.
or
2. 13% of all people who go to PP get abortions.
They sound very different but they're both true.

However, this particular thread is just about the number of pregnant women who go to PP.
Of that number between 95 and 98% will have an abortion.

It just shows how images can be created by how we present numbers.

Hey man, they're just numbers. PP's numbers at that.
I happen to be anti-abortion but what it is about the OP that is anti-abortion. The truth?

However, this particular thread is just about the number of pregnant women who go to PP.

Ok, but, how about this:

100% of women who got abortions at PP were pregnant.

See how some statistics can just not matter?

What a happy thought. And replace the slaughterhouses with free/low-cost/sliding-scale clinics that meet the needs of the indigent and working poor. And, in fact, more and more communities are doing just that.

Ok, but, how about this:

100% of women who got abortions at PP were pregnant.

See how some statistics can just not matter?

Here's the one that does: 333, 964 abortions in one year. Basically, a million abortions in three years.

Here's the one that does: 333, 964 abortions in one year. Basically, a million abortions in three years.

And if more contraceptive services were available and conservatives stopped stigmatizing PP that number would go down.

And if more contraceptive services were available and conservatives stopped stigmatizing PP that number would go down.

The PP clinic in my community operated successfully and without problems for 25 years, and when I was in college, I went there twice myself. It was when that clinic decided to begin providing abortions that the battle was joined. Should PP clinics not provide abortions on-demand, I don't think you'd hear a peep of criticism.

Women aren't seeking abortions because contraceptive "services" aren't available. They surely are. There are more now, so many, many more now, than when I was in college, and yet PP performed 333, 964 abortions in one year. This was NOT because women didn't know about contraception or that it was unavailable. In fact, 46% of women who seek abortions didn't use contraception or use it properly.

That's nearly half. And that's spelled reckless and irresponsible.

The PP clinic in my community operated successfully and without problems for 25 years, and when I was in college, I went there twice myself. It was when that clinic decided to begin providing abortions that the battle was joined. Should PP clinics not provide abortions on-demand, I don't think you'd hear a peep of criticism.

Women aren't seeking abortions because contraceptive "services" aren't available. They surely are. There are more now, so many, many more now, than when I was in college, and yet PP performed 333, 964 abortions in one year. This was NOT because women didn't know about contraception or that it was unavailable. In fact, 46% of women who seek abortions didn't use contraception or use it properly.

That's nearly half. And that's spelled reckless and irresponsible.

Why does personal responsibility end at conception? Why is it kept out of their hands what they can or cannot do?

The name "Planned Parenthood" is not just some Orwellian doublespeak term. Their mission is to help people plan when and if to be parents. That means providing them with contraceptions (or abortions if they are pregnant) to delay having children until they are prepared to.

They also provide cancer and STD screening and prevention so that a woman can be healthy enough and remain fertile so they can have children when they want.

If people aren't prepared to allow other people to make the awful choice to not go through with a pregnancy when they have determined they be ill-fit to parent, you should promote services that allow them to care for their children and give them a decent life.

Why does personal responsibility end at conception? Why is it kept out of their hands what they can or cannot do?

The name "Planned Parenthood" is not just some Orwellian doublespeak term. Their mission is to help people plan when and if to be parents. That means providing them with contraceptions (or abortions if they are pregnant) to delay having children until they are prepared to.

They also provide cancer and STD screening and prevention so that a woman can be healthy enough and remain fertile so they can have children when they want.

If people aren't prepared to allow other people to make the awful choice to not go through with a pregnancy when they have determined they be ill-fit to parent, you should promote services that allow them to care for their children and give them a decent life.

Now the following is based on reading many posts by Nota...so...

I think that Nota doesn't really wants to support or promote "services" that would allow women to care for their children and give them a decent life. I might be wrong, but I think that she believes that a woman needs to stand 100% responsible for her actions...regardless of the reason she became pregnant. She believes that there are virtually no reason why a woman should ever "accidentally" get pregnant...or have an "unwanted pregnancy. In other words...don't be irresponsible and have children if you can't adequately support them.

AND that all boils down to: Women...don't have sex unless you are also consenting to pregnancy.

Yeah, you're burying the headline. Conservatives think Planned Parenthood is nothing but an assembly line of abortion performing Feminazibots.

The same report shows:
4.5 Million instances of STD detection and treatment
3.4 Million contraception services
1.3 Million cancer screening and prevention
1.2 Million pregnancy tests

All in all 10.9 Million services performed. That's equal to, you got it, 3% of all services being abortions.

My girlfriend uses PP to get contraception so she won't get pregnant. That's how you reduce abortions.

Unless you're opposed to contraception?

Quoted - because it's just that important to note that they do a lot of good and people only want to demonize them for NO REASON at all.

Over 500,000 Pap Tests
Over 600,000 Breast Exams

You know - I'll point something out that no one really talks about. The prenatal tests. Why do people go to PP to get a prenatal tests?

Because DOCTORS don't DO THAT.
Nope - a lot of doctors tell you "to go to PP or other place to get a pregnancy test done, get a letter, so then you can bring that letter to their doctor's office so we will see you as a patient."
Why? Because if you're poor then those pregnancy TESTS aren't covered by your Medicare - AND some generic, low rate insurance companies don't cover them, either. PP (or other clinics similar to PP) do the test at very lost cost ($5.00 or $10.00) and will fill out that little slip that you need for your doctor to take you on as a pregnant patient.

Yep - I've done that several times. Gone to PP just for a pregnancy test though I KNOW I'm pregnant - it's just obvious - but the Doctor doesn't do that part without being under their care *already* (Is that confusing? LOL - it's just screwy like that).

Last edited:

I think that Nota doesn't really wants to support or promote "services" that would allow women to care for their children and give them a decent life. I might be wrong, but I think that she believes that a woman needs to stand 100% responsible for her actions...regardless of the reason she became pregnant. She believes that there are virtually no reason why a woman should ever "accidentally" get pregnant...or have an "unwanted pregnancy. In other words...don't be irresponsible and have children if you can't adequately support them.

AND that all boils down to: Women...don't have sex unless you are also consenting to pregnancy.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

But if so, in other words:

Woman before pregnancy=responsible for their decisions
Woman during pregnancy=not responsible for their decisions
Woman after pregnancy=responsible for their decisions

*sigh*

Very few people on this planet only sees sex as a purely a reproductive effort. I can only imagine every male on earth wanting to gouge out his eyeballs if they couldn't have sex unless they were trying to knock someone up.

Sex does NOT mean I want to have a child.
Sex means I want to have sex with my husband! It does not have to mean anything beyond that.

You know what does mean I want to have a child? GETTING PREGNANT AND THEN HAVING THE BABY. I think that's what might tip someone off that I wanted to have a kid.

I could construe your point to be anti-adoption, as well, but I know that's not your actual point.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

But if so, in other words:

Woman during pregnancy=not responsible for their decisions

Hmmmm...I'd say it's more along the lines:

Woman during pregnancy=responsible for their decisions

Bottom line: WOMEN - Do NOT have sex UNLESS it is ALSO CONSENT TO BECOMING PREGNANT! If a pregnancy occurs...then be prepared to bring it to full term regardless of personal circumstance - and accept full financial responsibility.

Does that help?

According to its 2009 report, PP performed 332,278 abortions, saw 7,021 prenatal care clients, and gave 977 adoption referrals to other agencies.
In total, according to their own statistics, they assisted 340,276 pregnant women.
Of that 340,276, 332,278 got abortions.

That means that, by PP's own numbers, 97.6495 of all pregnant women who went to PP in 2009 had abortions.

More recent numbers from 2011:

2009: 404 - Page Not Found - Planned Parenthood

2011: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_Services.pdf
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_Services.pdf

Your #'s assume that no pregnant woman went to PP to have an STD test, or HPV shot, breast exam, UTI, etc

IOW, once again the Moral Fascists who want to ban abortion, and their enablers, are trying to argue that their position is morally superior using lies.

Hmmmm...I'd say it's more along the lines:

Woman during pregnancy=responsible for their decisions

Bottom line: WOMEN - Do NOT have sex UNLESS it is ALSO CONSENT TO BECOMING PREGNANT! If a pregnancy occurs...then be prepared to bring it to full term regardless of personal circumstance - and accept full financial responsibility.

Does that help?

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating that position, just playing Devil's Advocate.

But I think in our modern society, the biological imperative for the act of sex is mostly separated (and should be) for the carnal desire for the act itself.

If you think people should be allowed to have sex for enjoyment, then they should not be required to be constantly thinking about babies during sex. That's just creepy.

This actually started in another thread. Someone asked me to produce the numbers. They're just numbers.

AmericanWoman, the 3% number comes from the number of abortions divided into the total number of services they perform, roughly 11 million.
The 11 million services is done for 3 million clients.
So the two ways of saying what you're saying is:
1. 3% of all services performed at PP are abortions.
or
2. 13% of all people who go to PP get abortions.
They sound very different but they're both true.

I am asking where you got the number of pregnant women who were treated by planned parenthood as 340,276. I cannot find that statistic anywhere.

*sigh*

Very few people on this planet only sees sex as a purely a reproductive effort. I can only imagine every male on earth wanting to gouge out his eyeballs if they couldn't have sex unless they were trying to knock someone up.

Sex does NOT mean I want to have a child.
Sex means I want to have sex with my husband! It does not have to mean anything beyond that.

You know what does mean I want to have a child? GETTING PREGNANT AND THEN HAVING THE BABY. I think that's what might tip someone off that I wanted to have a kid.

I could construe your point to be anti-adoption, as well, but I know that's not your actual point.

Of course you already know that I agree with having sex is NOT CONSENT to pregnancy...just in case it happens.

My beliefs regarding adoption is: Adoption isn't the panacea answer to unwanted pregnancies for all women. And we clearly see our state CPS systems full of children who are adoptable and will never be adopted for a host of reasons, all of which you're aware. No need for me to spend the time outlining them.

But, AS...if you get pregnant "accidentally" and you decide to abort, place the child up for adoption, or keep the child...I SUPPORT ANY OF YOUR CHOICES. For real! But even more importantly. I don't believe I have a right to be involved with your choices...and would say the same even if I were your husband.

Thanks...

Oh, are we aren't all that often that far apart on this topic. If we are...I haven't seen it yet, but if we are...what can I say, I'm just a man. I know, I know, that will set some hair on fire for me saying, "I'm just a man"...but so be it. I'll never have to bear the burdens of making a choice.

I am asking where you got the number of pregnant women who were treated by planned parenthood as 340,276. I cannot find that statistic anywhere.

He dishonestly made it up by counting only the # of abortions and adding it to the # of prenatal care clients and adoption referrals.

As if pregnant woman can't get STD tests, breast exams, HIV tests, etc

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating that position, just playing Devil's Advocate.

But I think in our modern society, the biological imperative for the act of sex is mostly separated (and should be) for the carnal desire for the act itself.

If you think people should be allowed to have sex for enjoyment, then they should not be required to be constantly thinking about babies during sex. That's just creepy.

I didn't say that I think that.

Personally...I don't believe that a woman who has sex...is automatically giving consent to conceive. OF COURSE BOTH PARTIES NEED TO engage in responsible sex.

Sex occurs many, many more times for pleasure than for reproducing. That's not rocket science.

BUT...**** happens. Yes? No? And when it does...then what?

And I my post to you regarding Nota...it was really a summary of how I perceive "her beliefs" to be regarding sex, conception, having children...and if social services should be available to help support or sustain children's lives...that's all.

I didn't say that I think that.

Personally...I don't believe that a woman who has sex...is automatically giving consent to conceive. OF COURSE BOTH PARTIES NEED TO engage in responsible sex.

Sex occurs many, many more times for pleasure than for reproducing. That's not rocket science.

BUT...**** happens. Yes? No? And when it does...then what?

And I my post to you regarding Nota...it was really a summary of how I perceive "her beliefs" to be regarding sex, conception, having children...and if social services should be available to help support or sustain children's lives...that's all.

OK, we're on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom