• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

200 fishermen rescued from drifting ice in Minnesota lake

I've ice-fished, but am not an ice-fisherman. Quite honestly, I think it's too early in the season to go out on ice.

FWIW - MN is a popular fishing destination with my friends & neighbors. When I think of MN, I immediately think of this below!

(image is not me or mine)

Yep. Northern Pike! The #2 Midwest inland gamefish, after Muskie.

Muskie seems to be most associated with Upper WI (Hayward!), whereas Northerns seem to be associated with MN. Say "Minnesota", and everyone thinks "Northerns"!

I no longer fish much. But I can't tell you how much time I wasted going for Muskie, because it's rare to hook a Muskie and nothing else will bite on a damn 12" lure! So you just cast & retrieve over and over, with nothing but seaweed, beer cans, and driftwood to show for it. Eventually you get tired of watching the other guys in your boat reeling-in a cooler-full of smaller active game-fish, and you go smaller to join in the action!

I know guys that have spent not just years, but large parts of their life-times trying to land a Muskie! It's every northern inland fisherman's dream! Once in a lifetime is enough for bragging rights.

Things have changed. I used to land Muskies throughout my youth. The largest was 37 lbs, 6 oz in lake Huron along the Ontario coast. I used frogs along a marsh like Pike or "Pickerel" some call it.

Neither is particularly good eating, Walleye and Steelhead are better

No worries! It's an interesting story. And so far no one has brought a certain private citizen into the conversation or blamed it on Nazi's... good to have something different. :)

*shh*

Things have changed. I used to land Muskies throughout my youth. The largest was 37 lbs, 6 oz in lake Huron along the Ontario coast. I used frogs along a marsh like Pike or "Pickerel" some call it.

Neither is particularly good eating, Walleye and Steelhead are better

Wow. I know few guys that ever landed a keeper Muskie. Keepers used to be 36" in Hayward (WI), but apparently now it's 40". Northerns were 32" (MN), for reference.

I tried multiple times for Muskie using lures, but like I said I got tired of nothing else biting on that huge lure while my buddies in the same boat were landing Walleye's like nobody's business! And yes, Walleye are excellent eating!

Did you subdue your large Muskies, before you landed them? The place I used to go would put a Muskie club in their rental boats. Apparently it's to club the fish once in the head, subduing it, before you bring it onboard. It seems there are guys with scarred thumbs or worse from Muskie bites. I met one. It got his thumb! Or, so he claims. One time the guys running the landing also claimed a customer's g/f had just recently gotten bit on her ankle the week before.

Last edited:
They may be all you said, but this crowd here sure ain't too good at ice-fishing! :p
Ohhh yaaaa, we get a few of them every year but not nearly as spectacular as this.
I bet 80 percent of those guys were actually from Iowa, ya know?
Uff da!

Ohhh yaaaa, we get a few of them every year but not nearly as spectacular as this.
I bet 80 percent of those guys were actually from Iowa, ya know?
Uff da!

Hah! Everybody beats on poor Iowa. But if you're ever looking for a primo pork cutlet sandwich, that's where you go!

(I prefer to add gravy on top of the cutlet)

pork-tenderloin.png

Last edited:
Interesting thing is for maritime purposes the Great Lakes are considered inland seas! To call them "lakes" is a bit disingenuous. Go out on one, and see!
I swam on Lake Michigan and it seems like a sea, except it’s fresh water.

I've ice-fished, but am not an ice-fisherman. Quite honestly, I think it's too early in the season to go out on ice.

FWIW - MN is a popular fishing destination with my friends & neighbors. When I think of MN, I immediately think of this below!

(image is not me or mine)

Yep. Northern Pike! The #2 Midwest inland gamefish, after Muskie.

Muskie seems to be most associated with Upper WI (Hayward!), whereas Northerns seem to be associated with MN. Say "Minnesota", and everyone thinks "Northerns"!

I no longer fish much. But I can't tell you how much time I wasted going for Muskie, because it's rare to hook a Muskie and nothing else will bite on a damn 12" lure! So you just cast & retrieve over and over, with nothing but seaweed, beer cans, and driftwood to show for it. Eventually you get tired of watching the other guys in your boat reeling-in a cooler-full of smaller active game-fish, and you go smaller to join in the action!

I know guys that have spent not just years, but large parts of their life-times trying to land a Muskie! It's every northern inland fisherman's dream! Once in a lifetime is enough for bragging rights.

Brett Favre caught a musky once after supposedly 2 casts. In Wi.

I swam on Lake Michigan and it seems like a sea, except it’s fresh water.

Yep. Fresh water. And surprisingly clean when out & away from the city, all things considered.

Are you familiar with the Chicago-Mackinac Race? 333mi, and been going-on for over a century. These guys are pretty damn serious. And this year they were running through storms on sixty knot winds. Sixty knots! On sail!

(15 boats retired, and unfortunately two perished during a capsize where the crew was tethered)

DLY554IJ4JGEFL5DHQMDCX7HCE.jpg

D3T7V6EX4BHM5P4DG7Z4MG33QE.jpg

YFIMTLQYD5BPRP47BZLR4RY4SM.jpg

More pics:

Yep. Fresh water. And surprisingly clean when out & away from the city, all things considered.

Are you familiar with the Chicago-Mackinac Race? 333mi, and been going-on for over a century. These guys are pretty damn serious. And this year they were running through storms on sixty knot winds. Sixty knots! On sail!

(15 boats retired, and unfortunately two perished during a capsize where the crew was tethered)

DLY554IJ4JGEFL5DHQMDCX7HCE.jpg

D3T7V6EX4BHM5P4DG7Z4MG33QE.jpg

YFIMTLQYD5BPRP47BZLR4RY4SM.jpg

More pics:

No. I'm more familiar with the Port Huron, Mich race to Macinac.

I've never sailed on fresh water. I have raced local waters, one, the Eatser "Southern Straights from Good Friday morning till Easter Monday at midnight. I sailed seven seasons on a Peterson 35, and four seasons on Benateau First 33....the Rolls Royce of yachts.

The Salish Sea between Vancouver Island and the Mainland can get violent in winter & early spring. There were a few times we couldn't cook for the entire race because the seas were too rough.

I also id the "Vic-Maui" one year, From Victoria Harbor on Vancouver Island to Hawaii, the Island of Maui. It was a rather calm and uneventful race. I have no idea wqhere we finished and neither did any of the crew. We went through a half pound of pot.

Brett Favre caught a musky once after supposedly 2 casts. In Wi.

WTH? I swear, I've never heard of luck like that! Never!

But no way was that a keeper. Not even close.

No. I'm more familiar with the Port Huron, Mich race to Macinac.

I've never sailed on fresh water. I have raced local waters, one, the Eatser "Southern Straights from Good Friday morning till Easter Monday at midnight. I sailed seven seasons on a Peterson 35, and four seasons on Benateau First 33....the Rolls Royce of yachts.

The Salish Sea between Vancouver Island and the Mainland can get violent in winter & early spring. There were a few times we couldn't cook for the entire race because the seas were too rough.
I also id the "Vic-Maui" one year, From Victoria Harbor on Vancouver Island to Hawaii, the Island of Maui. It was a rather calm and uneventful race. I have no idea wqhere we finished and neither did any of the crew. We went through a half pound of pot.

Haha!

But geezus, Oceanic sailing to Hawaii? Damn! That's some serious stuff.

I give you credit. It's a helluva' sport.

It's pretty damn hard to get on as a hand for Chicago-Mackinac. The skippers want experienced racers, but might make exception for family or close personal relationship. Those spots are in very high demand. Some have been running it for quite a few decades, through multiple generations.

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
WTH? I swear, I've never heard of luck like that! Never!

But no way was that a keeper. Not even close.
Was not a keeper, but as you said, the luck.
As the one guy in the video said, some fish 10 yrs and never catch a muskie

--

Imagine venturing onto an ice-shelf to do a little ice-fishing, only to have the ice-shelf break-off from the shoreline and head out to sea with yourself & two-hundred fellow fishermen!

This appears to be precisely what occurred yesterday, in Minnesota.
Minnesota is land locked and does not have a seacoast.

Yeah, I know "Picky, picky, picky.".

--

Imagine venturing onto an ice-shelf to do a little ice-fishing, only to have the ice-shelf break-off from the shoreline and head out to sea with yourself & two-hundred fellow fishermen!

This appears to be precisely what occurred yesterday, in Minnesota.
This happens every year on so in the Great Lakes states. Caution is advised.

That is a good sign. So good to see

Back
Top Bottom