• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 People in a room, hate each other because of their race....

Are they racists?

• Person A is white; B is any other. Both are racists.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Person A is white; B is any other. Only A is a racist.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Doesn't matter what race you are; hate towards another race is racism.

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So here's the poll.

You have Person A and Person B.

They both hate the other one, because the other person is a different race.

Are they racist?
Poll options are.. in the poll.

So here's the poll.

Are they racist?

Yes, obviously.

I'll vote once the poll is up.

You can be prejudiced against white people, but not racist, since racism means prejudice PLUS POWER/ PRIVILEGE, which only white people have.

So, we change the definition of racism so we can control the narrative.

Got it.

So here's the poll.

Are they racist?

I don't agree with Ganapathy. I think that definition has been expanded.

I think they are both racists.

EDIT...thought I'd pick this up...from Merriam Webster...

Simple Definition of racism
: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race
: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Last edited:
You can be prejudiced against white people, but not racist, since racism means prejudice PLUS POWER/ PRIVILEGE, which only white people have.

7 reasons why reverse racism doesn't exist | The Daily Dot

Perhaps we should take a look at the definition of racism. "Racism: 1) the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. 2) prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior." This does not necessitate power and/or privilege. That is according to Google; would you like me to pull out my copy of Webster's Comprehensive Dictionary of the English Language, Encyclopedic Edition, or perhaps find the Oxford Dictionary definition? Words have definitions which determine their meaning(s); it is really very simple.

I am sorry to ALL that popped in here, I screwed the pooch on this one.

7 reasons why reverse racism doesn't exist | The Daily Dot

I would say that Micah Johnson possessed plenty of power - he caused 5 deaths and selected his victims based on their race. Power need not be officially given or sanctioned to be an active racist. Anyone, especially if armed, has the power to act on their racial prejudice.

I would say that Micah Johnson possessed plenty of power - he caused 5 deaths and selected his victims based on their race. Power need not be officially given or sanctioned to be an active racist. Anyone, especially if armed, has the power to act on their racial prejudice.

Micah Johnson had ZERO institutional power. The cops had that.

Also agree with this.

One thing that I would add, on my position anyway, is that whilst it is obviously possible for an individual (or group) of any color to be racist, that does not mean that such racism has been institutionalized. I firmly believe that institutionalized racism is still entrenched within society and flows almost exclusively in one direction (that is, towards black people and certain other minorities).

Where white people denied blacks the right to vote for 50 years?

I am talking about the South Africa of current time. Can South African blacks be racist?

Micah Johnson had ZERO institutional power. The cops had that.

Racism is not limited to institutional racism. The cops, in this case, did nothing except to be non-black and provide themselves as targets of opportunity.

I don't agree with Ganapathy. I think that definition has been expanded.

I think they are both racists.

EDIT...thought I'd pick this up...from Merriam Webster...

I hate to nit pick but in my view people place a much broader definition on racism than the official definition.

In this case why would they be racists according to the strict definition?

Just because someone hates someone due to their race does not mean they treat them any differently nor believe they are better or worse, just different.

So here's the poll.

Are they racist?

Both are racist scumbags.

What's the point of this question?

Racism is not limited to institutional racism.

I can't believe this even has to be said!

I hate to nit pick but in my view people place a much broader definition on racism than the official definition.

In this case why would they be racists according to the strict definition?

Just because someone hates someone due to their race does not mean they treat them any differently nor believe they are better or worse, just different.

In my opinion, it's not the operation of one's mind that makes him or her a racist. It is by their words and deeds.

Also agree with this.

One thing that I would add, on my position anyway, is that whilst it is obviously possible for an individual (or group) of any color to be racist, that does not mean that such racism has been institutionalized. I firmly believe that institutionalized racism is still entrenched within society and flows almost exclusively in one direction (that is, towards black people and certain other minorities).

We can agree that modified X is a subset of (all) X and that (all) X is not limited to modified X. Something does not have to be royal purple to be called purple. ;)

Both are racist scumbags.

What's the point of this question?

I think it's valid. There are too many people who believe blacks cannot be racist. That is simply not true. This thread is a good reminder of that.

Oh my God, not this "Racism = Prejudice + Power" bull****.

You can't change the definition of racism because you want to.

I tried to read his link, but my gag reflex kicked in at point number 1. Now I have to have a beer to get the taste out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom