• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 People in a room, hate each other because of their race....

Are they racists?

• Person A is white; B is any other. Both are racists.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Person A is white; B is any other. Only A is a racist.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Doesn't matter what race you are; hate towards another race is racism.

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
I think it's valid. There are too many people who believe blacks cannot be racist. That is simply not s thread is a good reminder of that.

Yep. It's the whole point of the "Racism = Prejudice + Power" rhetoric. Black people apparently can't be racist because white people have all the power, but they can be prejudiced.

The whole concept is stupid.

I don't know anymore. Words like racism and terrorism have changed so much in use they no longer resemble their dictionary definitions. All I know is both person A and person B sound like ass holes.

I think it's valid. There are too many people who believe blacks cannot be racist. That is simply not true. This thread is a good reminder of that.

I think media has warped our view into believing that, I don't think it's that bad. From my experience, it's just the "social justice" side of tumblr, twitter, and Buzzfeed and even then it's easy to get caught up in hashtags that distract from reality.

That tactic though is simply to discharge certain sects of folks that just hate white people or some other group from accountability and moral consistency. I understand the concern about it in general.

I don't know anymore. Words like racism and terrorism have changed so much in use they no longer resemble their dictionary definitions. All I know is both person A and person B sound like ass holes.

Racism's meaning hasn't changed.

We can agree that modified X is a subset of (all) X and that (all) X is not limited to modified X. Something does not have to be royal purple to be called purple. ;)

Again, I agree, and as it pertains to this thread (which deals with 'individual' racism) I agreed with Maggies post earlier that this particular subset of racism can go in either direction.

I just wanted to make it clear that whilst I think any person or group can be racist to anyone else, racism at a societal level largely has a one way arrow. The reason I say that is because as important as it is to remember that whilst black people can be, and frequently are racist (see, Dallas cop killer), it's also important to remember (or at least consider) that society itself is largely prejudiced against them.

I also think it's very telling that most people who are sick of the term racism and feel it's overused etc etc, are usually white people who don't suffer from institutionalized racism against them. It's easy to get sick of hearing about a problem when that problem doesn't affect you, I think most people can attest to that!

In my opinion, it's not the operation of one's mind that makes him or her a racist. It is by their words and deeds.

Gotta disagree with this. I think it's exactly the operation of one's mind that makes him a racist. Whether he does anything about it is irrelevant in terms of whether or not he is racist. Of course it's very relevant if he goes around killing people because of it.

You can be prejudiced against white people, but not racist, since racism means prejudice PLUS POWER/ PRIVILEGE, which only white people have.

7 reasons why reverse racism doesn't exist | The Daily Dot

This is the meme the liberals want you to adopt. But, that poor, helpless victim can still run up behind you and hit you in the head. He can still get in a parking garage and shoot you. Oh, wait, he's not helpless, is he?

Micah Johnson had ZERO institutional power. The cops had that.

Oh, now power equals only institutional power. Why don't you just give us the definitive meme for liberals on the subject of racism once and for all so we know what you are talking about instead of running around the field moving the goal post whenever it looks like you're in a hole.

You can be prejudiced against white people, but not racist, since racism means prejudice PLUS POWER/ PRIVILEGE, which only white people have.

No it doesn't. That definition was tried years ago by one of the race baiters. Jessee or Al, I forget which.
The first Google definition:

a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

You're posting an unsupported opinion piece by an unknown writer in something called the daily dot as supporting your claim? Surely you can do better than that.

If you hate a person due to their race, you are a racist. It's just a fact. Common sense. Just like if you're redefining terms to support your worldview, you're retard. Same thing.

Again, I agree, and as it pertains to this thread (which deals with 'individual' racism) I agreed with Maggies post earlier that this particular subset of racism can go in either direction.

I just wanted to make it clear that whilst I think any person or group can be racist to anyone else, racism at a societal level largely has a one way arrow. The reason I say that is because as important as it is to remember that whilst black people can be, and frequently are racist (see, Dallas cop killer), it's also important to remember (or at least consider) that society itself is largely prejudiced against them.

I also think it's very telling that most people who are sick of the term racism and feel it's overused etc etc, are usually white people who don't suffer from institutionalized racism against them. It's easy to get sick of hearing about a problem when that problem doesn't affect you, I think most people can attest to that!

The Fredde Gray case in Baltimre is an often mentioned BLM "poster" case yet the police chief, mayor, head prosecutor and half of the officers charged in that case are black - it is hard to accept racism as the motive in that case.

Last edited:
I truly thought this was a troll thread. How is it on page 4 already? How could a person negatively judging another person because of their race be anything but racism? It is literally the definition.

It's a different, and perhaps more debatable question, to ask if one racist has a legitimate reason to be racist against another. But in terms of strict definition, this is clearly racism, by both parties.

Gotta disagree with this. I think it's exactly the operation of one's mind that makes him a racist. Whether he does anything about it is irrelevant in terms of whether or not he is racist. Of course it's very relevant if he goes around killing people because of it.

Well, unlike you apparently, if a person doesn't talk or act like a racist, I can't read his mind. Lucky you. ;)

Oh, now power equals only institutional power. Why don't you just give us the definitive meme for liberals on the subject of racism once and for all so we know what you are talking about instead of running around the field moving the goal post whenever it looks like you're in a hole.

If you read more closely you'll find that Ganapathy is the only liberal here making such claims. Let's try not to broad brush.

Racism is not limited to institutional racism. The cops, in this case, did nothing except to be non-black and provide themselves as targets of opportunity.
Actually, we don't know that. One, or more, of them may indeed been a totally racist a-hole and have a history of doing the things that people like Johnson disapprove. And, *IF* so, with the current political and social climate, we're not likely to hear about it anytime soon.

The Fredde Gray cass in Baltimre is an often mentioned BLM "poster" case yet the police chief, mayor, head prosecutor and half of the officers charged in that case are black - it is hard to accept racism as the motive in that case.

Hmmm. That made me think of a somewhat related question.

Is it racist to believe that your own race is inferior or to hate your own race?

Wow, so I can go to China, start a business, and refuse to hire or sell to Han Chinese people because of their race, and I'm not being racist?

If Obama passes an Executive Order saying the federal government can't hire white people, is that racist because he's in a position of power, or not racist because the position he holds is built on a white system?

So here's the poll.

You have Person A and Person B.

They both hate the other one, because the other person is a different race.

Are they racist?
Poll options are.. in the poll.
What are the life experiences of both people?

Not by my definition of racism. It has nothing to do with power. According to the Oxford Dictionary it boils down to:

Racism:

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.​

So by that definition, two people who hate each other based on the color of their skin alone would be manifesting racism whether or not either had any power or authority to act on that hatred.

So tell me, please. The blacks in Africa (who had the power), sold other blacks to Arabs (who had the power), who then sold them to Whites (who had the power), but only the Whites were racist?

Ganapathy's goofy definition of racism aside, to answer your question specifically: the blacks in Africa were selling other blacks based on tribalism, not race; the Arabs were likely racist if they bought and sold black slaves exclusively because they were black (I honestly don't know); and absolutely the whites were racist.

Back
Top Bottom