• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 NY legislators want eggs vaccinated

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Gross.

I would definitely not buy those eggs.

It is clear that neither one of the two idiot legislators know anything about the production of and egg ranch, and furthermore they have to be a couple of the dumbest asses on the planet.

The CDC says:
An estimated 76 million cases of foodborne disease occur each year in the United States. The great majority of these cases are mild and cause symptoms for only a day or two. Some cases are more serious, and CDC estimates that there are 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths related to foodborne diseases each year. The most severe cases tend to occur in the very old, the very young, those who have an illness already that reduces their immune system function, and in healthy people exposed to a very high dose of an organism. Disease Listing, Foodborne Illness, General Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases

These are from all food-Related sources not just eggs. This dumb idea would put more people at risk from reaction to the Vaccination as happened in the 1976 flu pandemic that never came. By the way those Flu Shots killed a bunch of people and the flu never came.

Last edited:
I wonder how that could be done without putting a hole in the egg, which makes it more susceptible to germs and such...

Despite appearances, eggs are porous. The outer shell has pores which allows for gas exchange. My guess would be that the eggs would either be dipped in vaccine under pressure or exposed to some kind of spray. That, or maybe the hens themselves would be vaccinated and it would transfer to the eggs?

What concerns me is how are you going to vaccinate something with no immune system? What exactly do they plan on injecting into the eggs?

This is why I already spend the extra for local farm-raised, cage-free, natural nest eggs.

Yeah. I could spend $1 per carton and risk salmonella. Or I could spend an extra $1.50 a week to completely be (mostly) worry-free from such concerns.

man, i sure miss my grannys farm. :(

This is why I already spend the extra for local farm-raised, cage-free, natural nest eggs.

Yeah. I could spend $1 per carton and risk salmonella. Or I could spend an extra $1.50 a week to completely be (mostly) worry-free from such concerns.

I plan on doing this when I get out of school. Not only are they safer to eat, but the eggs themselves are healthier for you as well. I learned in my nutrition class that eggs produced by cage-less roaming chickens are healthier than the ones kept in cages living in unsanitary conditions.

So you pay a smug tax of a dollar more for (mostly) the same risk.

So you pay a smug tax of a dollar more for (mostly) the same risk.

The legislators say that vaccinations costing one penny per dozen eggs would nearly eliminate the more than 100,000 salmonella cases each year in the United States.

I'd pay a penny for a vastly reduced chance of salmonella. But I guess I'm just a smug, out of touch liberal.

Have you seen what free range chickens eat? ANYTHING that is on the ground.....
I eat a lot of eggs, Been eating eggs for over 60 years and never gotten sick from eggs. An undercooked burger once, and some leftover fried fish, but never from an egg.

I plan on doing this when I get out of school. Not only are they safer to eat, but the eggs themselves are healthier for you as well. I learned in my nutrition class that eggs produced by cage-less roaming chickens are healthier than the ones kept in cages living in unsanitary conditions.

This is what I love about this issue - I have friends in this town (and we're in the same town) with whom I disagree politically, but we agree on this. It's time to take our food back.

Have you seen what free range chickens eat? ANYTHING that is on the ground.....
I eat a lot of eggs, Been eating eggs for over 60 years and never gotten sick from eggs. An undercooked burger once, and some leftover fried fish, but never from an egg.

Yeah... But what's weird is that those chickens are less likely to carry illness than the chemically altered ones.

This is what I love about this issue - I have friends in this town (and we're in the same town) with whom I disagree politically, but we agree on this. It's time to take our food back.

See. To those of you who use political points in EVERY topic - here's 2 people in the same town saying that we agree on one thing.

I'd pay a penny for a vastly reduced chance of salmonella. But I guess I'm just a smug, out of touch liberal.

Price makes no differance. The bottom line is that you need the government to protect you from your lack of knowing how to properly cook an egg or clean your kitchen. Being the knowledgeable conservative I am, I know that salmonella dies in poultry at 165 degrees and bleach should be used when cooking is finished. These legislators are only proposing this because the believe their constituents are to stupid to handle raw eggs on their own.

Amen!

This proposed solution is nothing more than a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem.

They want to vaccinate the chickens.

Even then, the cost won't do much to reduce incidence of food borne illness all that much.
Just more legislators trying to show that they're "protecting" you.

Horray... someone actually read the article...

BTW, vaccination of chickens is common place in many European and Asian countries. Living in Taiwan, which has a significant poultry industry, I have NEVER heard of any problems with salmonella in chickens, ducks or their eggs (we eat chicken, duck and goose eggs here).

You know the environment those cage free chickens are living is in very important to how healthy those eggs are. If there are a lot of pollutants in the ground, it can actually be more hazardous to long-term health than eggs from caged chickens. A study in Tainan showed a higher risk of cancer from eating free-range eggs than eggs from caged chickens...

I would be willing to bet that even some farm raised cage free chickens were exposed to the same feed that was found to be the culprit of the salmonella. You're just fooling yourself to to think hat salmonella can't occur.

Aren't free range animals happy animals? I want my meat to be from cows and chickens slaughtered in a happy environment.

I would be willing to bet that even some farm raised cage free chickens were exposed to the same feed that was found to be the culprit of the salmonella. You're just fooling yourself to to think hat salmonella can't occur.

That could be. I didn't do a scientific study on the farm. But I've been to it. So, that's better than some mystery farm in Iowa where they have 6 million hens who never see the light of day.

This is more "We're the Gov't we can protect you" mentality bull****.

Back
Top Bottom