• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 killed in Afghan protest over Quran-burning plan

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least two people were killed and four were injured in Afghanistan Sunday in protests against the pastor who had planned to burn the Quran in Florida, a local official said.

On Saturday the pastor of the Florida church said the planned burning of the Quran had been canceled.

"We will definitely not burn the Quran," the Rev. Terry Jones told NBC's "Today." "Not today, not ever."

Demonstrations against the plan began in Afghanistan before Jones made his announcement.

About 600 people were at the protest which turned deadly Sunday, a spokesman for the governor of Logar province said.

2 killed in Afghan protest over Quran-burning plan - CNN.com

You know...

This is so stupid, it defies all logic and reason.

"We're angry about a dude burning a book, so let's all go out, get angry and get 2 people killed to show how pissed we are"

Albiet the police were the ones that opened fire.

But while I support their right to be pissed about the Quran burning, for **** sake, it's just a book. I'm sorry but if it was Christains pissed about someone burning the bible, Jews about someone burning the Torah, Muslims about burning the Quran.

Get the **** over it! It's a book!

If the holy books of the world descended from the heavens above, printed from a heavenly printing press and published by the almighty himself, then yes, be pissed all you want... but that ain't the case...

What's ultimately stupid though, is that the pastor cancelled it anyway.

So no one had to die.

Derp...

It's just a book? For **** sake man tell that to the people who are against the poeple who want to pray.

Burning holy books is fine.
Building holy nooks is an outrage.

-PS don't steal that quote.

tell that to the people who are against the poeple (sic) who want to pray.....

.... next door to an Islamic 'martyrdom' murder site!

Makes no harm to be reminded....

Troublemakers.JPG

But while I support their right to be pissed about the Quran burning, for **** sake, it's just a book. I'm sorry but if it was Christains pissed about someone burning the bible, Jews about someone burning the Torah, Muslims about burning the Quran.

Get the **** over it! It's a book!

It's not just a book to Muslims, that is why there is such a reaction. I don't expect Non Muslims to understand fully how Muslims feel about the physical text.

I can understand the anger and appreciate it but in Afghanistan in particular, I am not surprised at this reaction. Afghanistan with its tribal history has very strong links with the physical text

It's not just a book to Muslims, that is why there is such a reaction. I don't expect Non Muslims to understand fully how Muslims feel about the physical text.

I can understand the anger and appreciate it but in Afghanistan in particular, I am not surprised at this reaction. Afghanistan with its tribal history has very strong links with the physical text

I understand what it means to muslims.

I guess I just wish that they could ignore the actions of a moron, against qurans they'd never see or use anyway... that way those 2 people would not have had to die.

it that it? or is there more to it? why cause your own people to be killed? it seems a little like looting and race rioting we've had here, where people destroy their own neighborhoods, they are so full of hate and impotent rage.

Last edited:
it that it? or is there more to it? why cause your own people to be killed? it seems a little like looting and race rioting we've had here, where people destroy their own neighborhoods, they are so full of hate and impotent rage.

Afghan's are now talking about revenge attacks on British and American military bases.

Those two killed in the OP seemed to be connected to the police's actions.

I understand what it means to muslims.

I guess I just wish that they could ignore the actions of a moron, against qurans they'd never see or use anyway... that way those 2 people would not have had to die.

One must also understands what is happening under the surface.

Every time something/someone in the West do something that is perceived to be against Islam.
What Muslims in totalitarian states tend to do, is use these actions as a catalyst to vent some of their frustration and anger both at their own Governments and yes, at the West. Those moments are one of the few times the State's hands are tied and cannot stop them as it would be deemed unIslamic if they attempted to stop protests over desecrations over Qu'ran

It's never simple when it comes to Muslims.

Afghan's are now talking about revenge attacks on British and American military bases.

Those two killed in the OP seemed to be connected to the police's actions.

i don't think this will ever stop. i used to think we had to stay in afghanistan, and in iraq, but now, not so much.

It's never simple when it comes to Muslims.

Thats why, Islam needs a reformation and extremist interpretations of ancient holy writ need to be marginalized to the fringes as they are in most other societies. That would be a big step forward without requiring the slaughter of 1.2/1.7 billion people.

That would be a big step forward without requiring the slaughter of 1.2/1.7 billion people.

You could try to wipe us out. But I already know you'll fail. :shrug:

Don't tell me what Islam needs, you aren't a Muslim. As far as I'm concerned you have no say in whatever future Islam has. It will be decided by Muslims alone.

You could try to wipe us out. But I already know you'll fail. :shrug:

Don't tell me what Islam needs, you aren't a Muslim. As far as I'm concerned you have no say in whatever future Islam has. It will be decided by Muslims alone.

If the Muslim faith is capable of a reformation it must come from inside the faith, see *Martin Luther*... anything from outside, would be seen as interference, and basically worthless. So based upon the probability.....I don't see them (you guys) doing it.

If all Muslims want a reformation, we'll do it at our own pace tyvm.

If all Muslims want a reformation, we'll do it at our own pace tyvm.

You need to do it, now!

Just remember...Islam is "the problem" - they made it so. They are the ones claiming to act in its name.

You need to do it, now!

Don't tell me what Muslim and Islam need to do.

You are not part of Islam therefore have no say as to what is necessary to my religion.

Last edited:

You are not part of Islam therefore have no say as to what is necessary to my religion.

You do realize that at some point the rest of the world will lose patients with Islam as it is today?... and yes, it is possible to kill 1.7 billion people with the weapons available today...... look at what Stalin accomplished with just bullets on his own people.

How long would a person put up with their neighbor shooting up the neighborhood every time he gets mad or feels slighted?

How long do you expect the rest of the world to put up with the temper tantrums we see every week?

What happens if one of the crazies detonates a nuke on US soil? Do you think we would just shine it on, or would we end the threat forever?

These are the serious questions the moderate Muslims had better be asking themselves before something happens to make the question moot, and they damned well better do something to reign in the extremists…. Soon.

And yes.... there is room for all religions on this planet, as long as they don't try to exterminate the rest of us.

Last edited:
What's ultimately stupid though, is that the pastor cancelled it anyway.

So no one had to die.

Derp...

They seem always on edge and looking for a reason to flip out. . . if it wasn't this - it would be something else.
Or nothing else :shrug:

Your correct and I won't. What I will say is respect and tolerance is a two way street. There has been cases of Bible burning in Pakistan in 2008 (if memory serves me correcty). You show respect for my beliefs I will do the same for yours.

As long as Muslims kill muslims I guess you are right. When they go outside of that and kill others, that seems to change things.

But as you suggest, I do not see Islam trying to reign in the fringe groups. Perhaps it is because as Tony Blair says they are more prevelant than many want to believe.

Can we please get off anything to do with extermination...

Thank you.

(not trying to be a mod, just a request)

You do realize that at some point the rest of the world will lose patients with Islam as it is today?... and yes, it is possible to kill 1.7 billion people with the weapons available today...... look at what Stalin accomplished with just bullets on his own people.

Doesn't matter.
There is no way Muslims will be wiped out. You forget we have our own nukes and lets say we were near the edge of extinction. I'd rather the rest of the world comes down with us :shrug:

And I don't care if people lose patience with Islam. You will still fail.

Your correct and I won't. What I will say is respect and tolerance is a two way street. There has been cases of Bible burning in Pakistan in 2008 (if memory serves me correcty). You show respect for my beliefs I will do the same for yours.

And in South Africa was it not Muslims who prevented a bible burning day? :roll:

When have I ever disrespected anyone's beliefs?

As long as Muslims kill muslims I guess you are right. When they go outside of that and kill others, that seems to change things.

Even then.
You have no role or opinion when it comes to the reformation of a religion you are not part of.

Citing Blair = loss of all credibility for me.
Islam cannot reign in anything, it is not the police y'know. It's an ideology and belief.

Can we please get off anything to do with extermination...

Thank you.

(not trying to be a mod, just a request)

Sorry Jet, responded before reading that.

Back
Top Bottom