• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 billion genetically modified mosquitos are about to be released in the US

Bad idea. Nobody can see all the consequences of this.
I notice, too, that this is being done where mosquitoes are an inconvenient nuisance, Florida, and not Africa where they're the most dangerous killers.
I saw a method just over a decade ago that looked promising. It uses cheap lasers (in this case from a used laser printer they bought on e-bay) and is capable of targeting female mosquitoes specifically by the frequency of their wing-beat, leaving the male mosquitoes and all other insects unharmed.

If this works, eventually there won't be any more mosquitoes.

Which would be nice. There isn't an animal on Earth that relies on mosquitoes as their sole food source, and basically they exist just to cause misery.
That is the problem. It not only won't work, it cannot possibly work.

Eliminating mosquitoes in a specific area, regardless of the method used, is only a temporary solution. It only effects one generation of mosquitoes. Unless the same eradication method is used every year, it can never work. Even then it would be ineffective on the fringes, as populations of mosquitoes they haven't eliminated begin moving into the area that has been eliminated.

The only way to completely eradicate all mosquitoes is to sterilize them all - every last one of them - all at the same time, everywhere on the planet. Which obviously cannot be done.

It is also not true that animals do not eat mosquitoes. Many animals consume mosquitoes including birds, fish, bats, amphibians, reptiles, and of course other insects.

Furthermore, mosquito larvae eat algae, parasites, fungus, and other microorganisms, and they eat all the time. That means mosquito larvae can get through a lot of detritus (or biological waste) in just a few days. Mosquito larvae produce frass (insect crap) which plants find very nutritious.

Mosquitoes, like bees, are also pollinators. Their primary source of food is the nectar from flowers. In the Arctic especially, due to the lack of diversity in insect life (there are no bees that far north), mosquitoes play a significant role in creating diversity among the tundra north of the Arctic Circle.

images

2D1E0F0500000578-3260626-Smart_lady_People_have_been_praising_the_woman_who_seems_to_be_t-a-2_1444064635928.jpg

I am more like the old lady in this photo. People are retarded who feel they need to video or take photos of everything. Put the phone down, look up, and live your life. Life goes by quick enough, why experience it through a viewfinder? I think George Carlin did a bit on people who video everything.

I don't even own a smart phone. I just had to upgrade to a new phone because Verizon will stop supporting 2G phones, so I had to say good bye to my 20 year old Motorola flip phone.

Luckily I found a new (4G) Japanese made flip phone. It has texting and will take photos, but I won't be using any of that, and I was sure to shut off the GPS and other tracking bullshit. This phone is rugged basically built like a truck.

e661f8d1-9bd9-49eb-a34e-1c1274e0c57f.15a7ffd62f545a894abc751105ec0176.jpeg

2D1E0F0500000578-3260626-Smart_lady_People_have_been_praising_the_woman_who_seems_to_be_t-a-2_1444064635928.jpg

I am more like the old lady in this photo. People are retarded who feel they need to video or take photos of everything. Put the phone down, look up, and live your life. Life goes by quick enough, why experience it through a viewfinder? I think George Carlin did a bit on people who video everything.

I don't even own a smart phone. I just had to upgrade to a new phone because Verizon will stop supporting 2G phones, so I had to say good bye to my 20 year old Motorola flip phone.

Luckily I found a new (4G) Japanese made flip phone. It has texting and will take photos, but I won't be using any of that, and I was sure to shut off the GPS and other tracking bullshit. This phone is rugged basically built like a truck.

e661f8d1-9bd9-49eb-a34e-1c1274e0c57f.15a7ffd62f545a894abc751105ec0176.jpeg

The only phone I own is for my POTS landline at home. Like the lady in the photo, I was raised without needing a phone 24/7.

The only problem is that when I was raised there were also payphones that anyone could use for a few cents. Those are all long gone now. That is the only inconvenience I've experienced.

Back
Top Bottom