• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

$2.5 billion, $5 Billion, $15 billion or $25 billion

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
$2.5 billion, $5 Billion, $15 billion or $25 billion...The press, because Pence and others uttered such notions, have reported that the amount of money appropriated for a wall be a point of negotiation in the talks to abate Trump's shutdown of portions of the federal government. That the sum of money be a negotiation point is among the most dimwitted propositions I've heard in recent weeks. The Dems' stance on the idea of building a wall on the southern border is "no new wall/fencing on the southern border," not "X dollars for new southern border walling/fencing is too much money."

Son: "Dad, can I have $2000 to go to NY for the weekend?"
Dad: "I'm not permitting you to go to NY for the weekend, so no."
Son: "Well, how about $1000?"
Dad: "What part of 'you're not going to NY for the weekend' confuses you? It's not about the money. It's that you're not going to NY for the weekend.​

Given the nature of Dems' position, all sums of money are "too much," and it's thus absurd to even haggle over the amount of money that be or be not appropriated to that end.

Representative Ted Lieu put it succinctly:

"Here's the problem you created. If Dems cave to your ransom-note tactics of using a shutdown, what's to keep you from doing this again? Nothing. That's why Dems won't budge."

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1080144741533007872

Similarly, Trump lied about where the funding would come from during the campaign, only to turn around and foist the burden onto the American tax payer. If Democrats give in, they will not only be rewarding his blackmail, but the continued motivation to lie regarding important and costly issues.

$2.5 billion, $5 Billion, $15 billion or $25 billion...The press, because Pence and others uttered such notions, have reported that the amount of money appropriated for a wall be a point of negotiation in the talks to abate Trump's shutdown of portions of the federal government. That the sum of money be a negotiation point is among the most dimwitted propositions I've heard in recent weeks. The Dems' stance on the idea of building a wall on the southern border is "no new wall/fencing on the southern border," not "X dollars for new southern border walling/fencing is too much money."

Dad: "What part of 'you're not going to NY for the weekend' confuses you? It's not about the money. It's that you're not going to NY for the weekend.​

Given the nature of Dems' position, all sums of money are "too much," and it's thus absurd to even haggle over the amount of money that be or be not appropriated to that end.

I don't understand. What's wrong with New York?

:)

There is some debate as to the credit for this quote:

A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money. — Everett Dirksen

Son: But Dad, you gave my brother loads of money to go to NY just a few years ago.
Dad: That was different son, because he is not like you and then was not like now - it's politics son.

Representative Ted Lieu put it succinctly:

"Here's the problem you created. If Dems cave to your ransom-note tactics of using a shutdown, what's to keep you from doing this again? Nothing. That's why Dems won't budge."

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1080144741533007872

Similarly, Trump lied about where the funding would come from during the campaign, only to turn around and foist the burden onto the American tax payer. If Democrats give in, they will not only be rewarding his blackmail, but the continued motivation to lie regarding important and costly issues.

The only reason Trump is going to Congress for the money is because Congress won't do what's necessary to make Mexico pay.

But, of course, that's how Congress wants it. Congress doesn't want a wall because their big money donors don't want a wall. Doesn't matter what the people want, doesn't matter what's good for the country. The donors are the only ones who matter.

The only reason Trump is going to Congress for the money is because Congress won't do what's necessary to make Mexico pay.

But, of course, that's how Congress wants it. Congress doesn't want a wall because their big money donors don't want a wall. Doesn't matter what the people want, doesn't matter what's good for the country. The donors are the only ones who matter.

Sure, Congress should go to Mexico and make them cough up the money for the wall. I swear, Trump supporters will say anything.

Son: But Dad, you gave my brother loads of money to go to NY just a few years ago.
Dad: That was different son, because your brother is a stellar Grade A student who earned it whereas you are a miserable failure who flunked out of school, lies all the time, is regularly in and out of prison and disgraces the family daily.

Fixed it for you.

Dad: That was different son, because he is not like you and then was not like now - it's politics son.

Red:
I was "with you" until the red bit. It's not politics; it's that the germane contextual factors involved materially differ.

Lol. There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how absurd your post is.

:rofl

Trump said on camera today. The government can stay closed until he gets his $5 Billion.

I hope all those 800,000 government workers remember Trump holding their paychecks hostage come 2020.

How about enlightening at least me; what are the Congressional moves to “make Mexico pay?”

Mother of God!

How about enlightening at least me; what are the Congressional moves to “make Mexico pay?”

Some comments are so untethered to anything in the real world that there's no reason to engage them seriously.

Keeping the government closed over a dispute about a relatively small amount of money is an option.

It is also stupidly destructive and immoral, if we are going to risk that kind of damage then it needs to be over big important things.

Some comments are so untethered to anything in the real world there's no reason to engage them seriously.

.....and there will be crickets; sop for the unnamed poster. He/she has been doing the disappearing act at record rates lately.

Keeping the government closed over a dispute about a relatively small amount of money is an option.

"What part of 'you're not going to NY for the weekend' confuses you? It's not about the money. It's that you're not going to NY for the weekend."

It is also stupidly destructive and immoral, if we are going to risk that kind of damage then it needs to be over big important things.

This is the one time when someone will tell you that: “it’s not about the money,” it will be the unvarnished truth!

What makes you think "the people" want that wall? Is that why America elected a Democratic House, because they want the wall?

This is the one time when someone will tell you that: “it’s not about the money,” it will be the unvarnished truth!

Trump has decided that keeping his word as he was asking for votes is important, and the D's have decided that humiliating the President is important.

One is better than the other.

Trump has decided that keeping his word as he was asking for votes is important, and the D's have decided that humiliating the President is important.

“Keeping his word?” Did you click reply with a straight face?

If keeping his word is important then he can start by getting the money from Mexico. All $25,000,000,000. Nothing less. I don't want there to be any chance that additional funding comes from the American tax payer down the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom