• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1972 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham

Nice cars, but expensive to restore. I had a powder blue '64 Coupe de Ville I really liked. Caddys are cool.
I bought a 2000 white Honda Civic coup as a little beater car. It's in near perfect condition. I have had five offers from guys in their 30s to buy it. I had no idea people would admire that car.

I bought a 2000 white Honda Civic coup as a little beater car. It's in near perfect condition. I have had five offers from guys in their 30s to buy it. I had no idea people would admire that car.

I bought my wife a new 1990 Civic (four door), one of the best cars we ever had.

In the early 80's I had the distinct pleasure of working for and becoming friends with the late Hal Jepsen, the guy who made surf movies famous starting in the early Sixties.
No, not the Frankie & Annette mockups with cutesy wootsey sanitized vanilla pop tunes and fake rear projection water shots on a soundstage.
Hal was making real surf movies with real surfers in them.

And other than his service vans, his favorite vehicle was a 1959 stretch Caddy Type 62 limo that he bought from the estate of infamous San Francisco madam Sally Stanford.
He put some choice stickers on it, like the surf band K-38, which he helped manage, and he always stacked a couple of boards on the roof.
img044 (2019_02_27 17_41_55 UTC).jpgHal works on the Limo 2.jpg

Rolling around California and Mexico, it was like being on TV, because every surfer recognized Hal's surf limo, as it also played a role in some of his movies.

In the early 80's I had the distinct pleasure of working for and becoming friends with the late Hal Jepsen, the guy who made surf movies famous starting in the early Sixties.
No, not the Frankie & Annette mockups with cutesy wootsey sanitized vanilla pop tunes and fake rear projection water shots on a soundstage.
Hal was making real surf movies with real surfers in them.

And other than his service vans, his favorite vehicle was a 1959 stretch Caddy Type 62 limo that he bought from the estate of infamous San Francisco madam Sally Stanford.
He put some choice stickers on it, like the surf band K-38, which he helped manage, and he always stacked a couple of boards on the roof.
View attachment 67334571View attachment 67334570

Rolling around California and Mexico, it was like being on TV, because every surfer recognized Hal's surf limo, as it also played a role in some of his movies.

Damn! The sun never sets on '59 Caddies! The epitome of fins. I love 'em!

I once had the chance to buy a pretty clean '59 for a killer price, around maybe '80 or '82. I can't believe I passed on it. What was I thinking?

I once had the chance to buy a pretty clean '59 for a killer price, around maybe '80 or '82. I can't believe I passed on it. What was I thinking?

390 V8, 335 HP, 430 FT LBS torque, 4-speed auto (optional)...and that limo felt perfect at 125!

I passed up the chance to buy Marilyn Monroe's 56 T-Bird.
No, I swear to GOD I am not making this up, it had been sitting at the Shell station in Brentwood for about eight months, sorta beat condition but definitely still drivable.
And I finally asked, out of idle curiosity.

The station owner said that they wanted five thousand for it...this was back in 1982.
It just got fully restored and sold about two years ago...for $490,000. (Car & Driver)
Yeah go ahead, kick me in the ass, everyone else does!

marilyn-monroe-car-2-1537911949.jpg

I passed up the chance to buy Marilyn Monroe's 56 T-Bird.
No, I swear to GOD I am not making this up, it had been sitting at the Shell station in Brentwood for about eight months, sorta beat condition but definitely still drivable.
And I finally asked, out of idle curiosity.

The station owner said that they wanted five thousand for it...this was back in 1982.
It just got fully restored and sold about two years ago...for $490,000. (Car & Driver)
Yeah go ahead, kick me in the ass, everyone else does!

marilyn-monroe-car-2-1537911949.jpg
Are you fuggin' serious? It must've been rough for 5 large, though.

Are you fuggin' serious? It must've been rough for 5 large, though.

In 1982 bucks unrestored, that's probably what, 20 thousand today?
Fair price for a beat down 56 but fails to take the star power factor into account, so you are sorta right, because it should have been something like 20 in 1982 bux, because it WAS MM's car!
It seemed to run okay, the interior looked shabby, seats all cracked, headliner had a slight droop on the passenger side, exterior hadn't been waxed in twenty years, paint was faded and somewhat cracked, chrome looked a little corroded.

But still, she looked like a survivor, something Miss Marilyn wasn't...sadly. MM was a candle in the wind, just like the song says.

In 1982 bucks unrestored, that's probably what, 20 thousand today?
Fair price for a beat down 56 but fails to take the star power factor into account, so you are sorta right, because it should have been something like 20 in 1982 bux, because it WAS MM's car!
It seemed to run okay, the interior looked shabby, seats all cracked, headliner had a slight droop on the passenger side, exterior hadn't been waxed in twenty years, paint was faded and somewhat cracked, chrome looked a little corroded.

But still, she looked like a survivor, something Miss Marilyn wasn't...sadly. MM was a candle in the wind, just like the song says.
The brightest burn out the fastest, my friend. Look no further than the 27 club . . .

The brightest burn out the fastest, my friend. Look no further than the 27 club . . .

I'm looking for the original story announcing that MM's T-bird had just begun restoration...the article mentioned that the car sat as something of a derelict at that Shell station.
I think it was in the L.A. Times but not a hundred percent sure. It was one of those "OMG look at this, I remember that" stories.
I hope I can find the article because it has a photo of how it looked prior to the resto.

I'm looking for the original story announcing that MM's T-bird had just begun restoration...the article mentioned that the car sat as something of a derelict at that Shell station.
I think it was in the L.A. Times but not a hundred percent sure. It was one of those "OMG look at this, I remember that" stories.
I hope I can find the article because it has a photo of how it looked prior to the resto.
I suspect like myself, you were a voracious newspaper reader. It's amazing how many little tidbits of info we gather away, when we regularly read the newspaper.

Back
Top Bottom