• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1946: the mistranslation that shifted a culture

axelthefox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's a new movie being released saying that a part of the bible was mistranslated and the mistranslation has existed since to bash gay people.

It's a new movie being released saying that a part of the bible was mistranslated and the mistranslation has existed since to bash gay people.

Heh!

I am no biblical scholar, but frankly Corinthians and, for that matter, all of Paul's work makes no sense in this world. If you take him at his word you will go to hell for wearing open-toed shoes! Paul's works were never intended to be applied globally - he was writing to individual churches about their problems.
(There is a large school of thought that Paul was actually a very minor player save for the fact he was a Roman Citizen and is credited with having converted the Roman Empire to what serves today as "Catholicism", but is a far cry from and honest and searching read of the Bible.)

To me he was a great misogynist and would have made a good Hitler

Here is what I know as an historian. (My initial knowledge of the bible and its time came as a result of studies in ancient history)

History has no record of there being any of the individuals mentioned in the bible except Pontius Pilote. (and he was a footnote as having fallen from grace and been 'sentenced' to control "an incontrollable people". There is no evidence Jesus existed and went where the Bible says.However, according to an issue of National Geographic I have, historians agree Jesus existed and did much of what is in the Bible - except the Star thing....there was a comet in the sky then, but it was in the month of May. Oops

Homosexuality, as it is called today, was openly practiced in Greece, Persia, Rome and much of North Africa. Greco-Roman lore, poetry and art are infused with male on male relationships, great statues denoting an older man fondling the jewels of a younger man is a common theme. Ye, Jesus makes no mention of this "abomination". The saviour never mentioned homosexuality at all....but there are pages andpages about the wealthy and the proud. My friend the Carpenter took out a WHIP to deal with money lenders. But not a word about homosexuality. Hmmmm.
Not only that, his first apostle was, wait for it, a woman!
The woman at the well was sent on her way with the instructions she was to "go, and tell them I have come."
She's at least an apostle and if the Romans were honest the little old guy in golden slippers would admit she was Jesus's "first comission"
From what I read and have been taught, it's better to be homosexual than rich.
woman love, which was also widely practiced.
Irony? It's fat, rich, righteous Christians who are most driving the opposition bus; a group who also denies global warming, that Trump lies, Covid 19 was a conspiracy and the election was stolen.

Their fear of gay people has nothing to do with the Bible.

That is just their excuse.

They fear gay people for personal reasons of their own.

After all, I hear (I have never read the book) that the Bible tells slaves to be submissive. I bet you that those gay-hating Christians do not subscribe to that injunction!

And I hear the Bible tells us not to eat certain foods. I bet you those gay-hating Christians regularly stuff their mouths with those prohibited morsels.

that is a lie

I think parts of the bible are mistranslated.

Like there is a verse referring to unicorns, which i have heard is actually a mistranslation of rhinoceros or other some such one horned animal.

Like some languages translated to english kinda turn into nonsense.

Like there is a verse referring to unicorns, which i have heard is actually a mistranslation of rhinoceros or other some such one horned animal.

the bible always was against homosexuality

After all, I hear (I have never read the book) that the Bible tells slaves to be submissive. I bet you that those gay-hating Christians do not subscribe to that injunction!

And I hear the Bible tells us not to eat certain foods. I bet you those gay-hating Christians regularly stuff their mouths with those prohibited morsels.

On the second part you are in error as Jesus "made all things clean". It is the essential dispute that Jews have with Jesus' teachings.

On the first point you hit the nail on the proverbial head. The hypocrisy of the Evangelicals is astonishing! They claim to follow a God who called on all of us that if a man needs your coat, "give him your cloak also."
They belong to huge denominations with extensive funds, mirroring the billions that flow through the Vatican every year. There is little or nothing spent on "works" but rather fat salaries for their clergy and teachers. While saying they follow the guy who honored humility and poverty above all else, these thugs actively work at denying the needy public health care.

The example of the "Good Samaritan" is lost on them. Once must know that Samaritans in those days were like Mexicans in modern times. Yet Jesus chose him as a parable of our duty to our fellow men. The Good Mexican not only saw to the man's injuries, but financed his care on going!
Yet American Evangelicals worry more about a fetus than they do their neighbor.

To me Jesus is the embodiment of brotherly love, beginning with forgiveness. He gave us one command and one prayer. The command is simple but the hardest thing in life: "Love one another, so that all may know you follow me" and the prayer which includes the very sadly ignored line in all Christianity - "....And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us."

In other words NOT Forgiving is insurance you'll never see eternity. And it appears something entirely missing in American culture, wrongs are seemingly NEVER fogotten.

....unless they meant (and can prove), the intention of God for the creation of male and female in GENESIS 2 was mistranslated
(which btw, Jesus had quoted too in the NT)

..........................then, nothing has changed as far as homosexuality is concerned in the Scriptures.

The logic is wrapped in this fact:

In the eyes of God, only sex between a married male and female is acceptable.

Statement of a doctrinal fact............................... isn't "bashing."
Would it be bashing murderers to say murder is a sin?

In fact it would be the other way around: intentional attack and attempt to discredit a doctrine, is, what is bashing.

Last edited:
I am no biblical scholar, ---------------------

Irony? It's fat, rich, righteous Christians who are most driving the opposition bus; a group who also denies global warming, that Trump lies, Covid 19 was a conspiracy and the election was stolen.

You were doing fine to begin with , even though your breadth of knowledge of history as it relates to proof of existence of Jesus is very narrow .

But why turn this area of research into the wild cry of a Total Conspiracy Theorist by somehow aggregating criticism of one group into blanket association and condemnation of different and unrelated groups which you do not have sympathy with ?

In trying to unravel one or even two historical Conspiracies you have turned yourself into Total Conspiracy Man , revealing all of your beliefs agenda , be they rational or just personal prejudices ?

not watching 2 hours

We don't have to.

Here's the gist of that video:

"What if the word “homosexual” was never meant to be in the Bible?"

But, they can't get around to this doctrinal fact:

...........unless they meant (and can prove), the intention of God for the creation of male and female in GENESIS 2 was mistranslated
(which btw, Jesus had quoted too in the NT)......

..........................then, nothing has changed as far as homosexuality is concerned in the Scriptures.

In the eyes of God, only sex between a married male and female (husband and wife), is acceptable.

Last edited:

You know not of what you speak.
It is not "fear", but dislike.
No one has to like anyone who engages in homosexual behaviors, just as no one has to like anyone who engages in paedophilic behavior.

We don't have to.

Here's the gist of that video:

"What if the word “homosexual” was never meant to be in the Bible?"

But, they can't get around to this doctrinal fact:

...........unless they meant (and can prove), the intention of God for the creation of male and female in GENESIS 2 was mistranslated
(which btw, Jesus had quoted too in the NT)......

In the eyes of God, only sex between a married male and female (husband and wife), is acceptable.
yes.

Just another reason the Bible is worthy of ignoring.

The bible also says that having tattoos is a sin.

Leviticus 19:28

Also there is slavery in in the bible.

Also the bible says that beating slaves and the slave lives is ok,

Exodus 21:20-21

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

An evil that no one approves of today.

Just look on tv and see people wanting names of slave owners removed from places.

Black or white, why not grey?

The manifest Scriptures are cryptic and fantastic and when the ignorant come in contact, think they have found the only one true way.

Simply we are not under the Law but under Grace, to the religious mind.

There has always been Grace, but the laws of the OT are what was required for the time. One should not cast off the Scriptures just because of people's misinterpretation.

As young, we learn that we are not allowed to do just anything we want; touching the burning stove will injure you and touching the TV will get you a spanking.

I couldn't find the word homosexual in my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

As to what can inherit the Kingdom, any with sin is excluded. Did Jesus not say, "Unless you righteousness exceeds the Pharisees, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

So we can say that the Bible is wrong. Paul is entitled to his opinion and is entitled to being wrong.

Does this mean we should all try gay? Since you've always wanted to but were afraid of going to Hell? Believe me, if you try Gay you will certainly find yourself in hell, just as much as getting married, depending. Others might be liberated. Others cannot afford to.

No, one should not try gay, the population is ten percent gay, this is why the Bible preaches morality.

I tried translating a korean MMO website and got misconduct shoe thing action Ace Online

The bible also says that having tattoos is a sin.

Leviticus 19:28

Also there is slavery in in the bible.

Also the bible says that beating slaves and the slave lives is ok,

Exodus 21:20-21

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

An evil that no one approves of today.

Just look on tv and see people wanting names of slave owners removed from places.
To me the book of Leviticus was always the most immoral book of the entire bible.

So what is the actual correct translation?

But here's a wild and crazy idea: stop worrying about what your Bible says and just throw it in the trash where it belongs.

Back
Top Bottom