• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

True. But poverty does arise from dysfunctional mindsets and cultures, which in turn breeds more poverty. It’s a never-ending vicious cycle which few can break out of.

So how do you propose breaking that cycle?
Eduction is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty, but people have to be able to afford to live while they get educated. I read each high school dropout ends up costing the tax payers over $200k, so if we could find something effective to combat that, to engage those that would otherwise drop out in vocational training they maybe suited for while paying them a small amount for good progress through the program, so that they could afford clothing, food, housing while they learn a marketable trade.

I know that's not what people on the right want to hear, paying students to lean a trade, but they are just being penny wise and pound foolish. These dropouts are already costing us much more.

My wife taught at a charter school for a while. He current school is better.
Yes, that's why the teachers unions fight against charter schools ... because they know parents won't choose them.

My wife taught at a charter school for a while. He current school is better.
... which, by the way, explains why you oppose accountability in public education. You have a vested, financial interest in the status quo.

I have no idea of how to protect kids from households with drugs, alcohol, immature parents, or violence problems?

We can guarantee well funded education programs, but we can't control the environment that kids have to grow up in for the most part.
RetiredUSN:

State-run boarding schools?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Yes, that's why the teachers unions fight against charter schools ... because they know parents won't choose them.
You only know what faux tells you.

You only know what faux tells you.
You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. I've seen the opposition to charters from the teachers' unions first hand in my state, and no amount of BS from you is going to make that go away.

You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. I've seen the opposition to charters from the teachers' unions first hand in my state, and no amount of BS from you is going to make that go away.
You don't understand the issue because you won't understand the issue.

What doesn't exist for the most part anymore is a paddle hanging in the principals office

Luther:

For the love of Christ, Luther, you want to beat children and teens towards success? Are you nuts? Brutalising students is a failure from the get go. If you have to raise your hand against students, then you've lost them already. Education comes from the Latin word for "to lead", not from a Latin word for to drive. Beating students only hardens their resolve to resist you and to thwart you. I was given hits on hands with rulers and straps in grade school in Canada. I had my fingers smashed with desk tops and was caned twice in grammar school in Britain. All it did was cause me to resist my bully-teachers more and to hold my heads/principal teachers in more contempt. I was tougher than them and they knew it. Taking their beatings, looking them straight in the eyes afterwards and giving them a defiant scowl and not breaking under their faux-authority, born of violence and frustration, was my victory, not theirs. Every student knew that. We had a code and beaters were losers. There are better ways than brutality.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

What doesn't exist for the most part anymore is a paddle hanging in the principals office
Pedophiles use paddles, Luther.

Luther:

For the love of Christ, Luther, you want to beat children and teens towards success? Are you nuts? Brutalising students is a failure from the get go. If you have to raise your hand against students, then you've lost them already. Education comes from the Latin word for "to lead", not from a Latin word for to drive. Beating students only hardens their resolve to resist you and to thwart you. I was given hits on hands with rulers and straps in grade school in Canada. I had my fingers smashed with desk tops and was caned twice in grammar school in Britain. All it did was cause me to resist my bully-teachers more and to hold my heads/principal teachers in more contempt. I was tougher than them and they knew it. Taking their beatings, looking them straight in the eyes afterwards and giving them a defiant scowl and not breaking under their faux-authority, born of violence and frustration, was my victory, not theirs. Every student knew that. We had a code and beaters were losers. There are better ways than brutality.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
As a kid, I always chose the spanking over being grounded. My parents caught on quick, and stopped giving me a choice.

The above title from here: 18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

Excerpt:

Where there's a common will there is also a way.

America does not yet have that common-will for Education. And in this brave-new-world of Services Industry jobs that will sustain the economy it is key to a national solution for all ...
18 Reasons? Nah.
The reason can be represented by a simple math equation:
Teachers Union + Politics = Proselytization

The above title from here: 18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

Excerpt:

Where there's a common will there is also a way.

America does not yet have that common-will for Education. And in this brave-new-world of Services Industry jobs that will sustain the economy it is key to a national solution for all ...
Its not failing, its already failed. Public school is glorified babysitting anymore. Many private schools are not much better. I recommend if you value your children's education you orchestrate it yourself.

18 Reasons? Nah.
The reason can be represented by a simple math equation:
Teachers Union + Politics = Proselytization
Stupid in, garbage out.

Its not failing, its already failed. Public school is glorified babysitting anymore. Many private schools are not much better. I recommend if you value your children's education you orchestrate it yourself.
In a way, that is true. Parents who think their kids' education is complete just because they attended a brick building from 9 to 3 are ignorant. The bulk of the education comes in the hours after school.

Ya can't stick your kid in front of a TV for half the day and expect Einstein to pop out. Americans are ****ing idiots.

Americans are ****ing idiots.
Speak for yourself, some people are idiots, all over the world, but it doesn't mean they can't be useful or productive. We still lead the world in productive geniuses, so some parts of our systems still work.

I know, it's like herding cats to get anything useful done, but we get through, with all our individuals.

Speak for yourself, some people are idiots, all over the world, but it doesn't mean they can't be useful or productive. We still lead the world in productive geniuses, so some parts of our systems still work.
Yeah, thanks to industrious immigrants.
I know, it's like herding cats to get anything useful done, but we get through, with all our individuals.
I like having the freedom to fail. It's a pleasant condition even if the outcome is somewhat undesirable.

I've seen the opposition to charters from the teachers' unions first hand in my state
It is my understanding that some States don't have unionized teachers. If that is so, is the education in those States better, as in better outcomes?

Sorry, sport. You're the one with the conflict of interest on this matter, not me, and that is fact, not opinion.
i stand by my previous statements.

It is my understanding that some States don't have unionized teachers. If that is so, is the education in those States better, as in better outcomes?
Don't know, I can only speak for MA. Here the non-union public schools dramatically out perform union schools in the same neighborhoods with the same demographic mix.

One of the biggest reasons is that this country has a deep mistrust of education and a strong anti-intellectual mindset. It prizes and worships money or celebrity far more than education. Just witness how many Americans took the word of Donald Trump over all the scientists and doctors on the planet- on everything from the pandemic to climate change. Advertisers know bringing in some famous actor or sports celebrity to speak to some social policy or public health issue does far more to convince the masses than some egghead wonk.
It's not a matter of distrust of education, at least certain parts of it. It's matter of the politicization of education.

It is my understanding that some States don't have unionized teachers. If that is so, is the education in those States better, as in better outcomes

Don't know, I can only speak for MA. Here the non-union public schools dramatically out perform union schools in the same neighborhoods with the same demographic mix.
I found this but it is dated. Seems that the 5 States that don't allow unions ranks lowest in terms of outcomes. My SIL's sister had her kids in a Charter school in Indiana but took them out because the teachers were, in her view, second rate. The good teachers went where the money was and that was in wealthier neighbourhoods with better funded public schools not charter schools where generally they are paid less.

Personally, I am hugely supportive of teachers, their unions not so much. I think teachers in the States are seriously underpaid.

Back
Top Bottom