• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The above title from here: 18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

Excerpt:

Once upon a time, enthusiasts designed a formal education system to meet the economic demands of the industrial revolution. Fast forward to today and, with the current global economic climate, it seems apparent that the now established education system is unable to meet the needs of our hyper-connected society – a society that is in a constant state of evolution. Let’s examine 18 problems that prevent the US education system from regaining its former preeminence.

Where there's a common will there is also a way.

America does not yet have that common-will for Education. And in this brave-new-world of Services Industry jobs that will sustain the economy it is key to a national solution for all ...

The above title from here: 18 REASONS THE U.S. EDUCATION SYSTEM IS FAILING

Excerpt:

Where there's a common will there is also a way.

America does not yet have that common-will for Education. And in this brave-new-world of Services Industry jobs that will sustain the economy it is key to a national solution for all ...
One of the biggest reasons is that this country has a deep mistrust of education and a strong anti-intellectual mindset. It prizes and worships money or celebrity far more than education. Just witness how many Americans took the word of Donald Trump over all the scientists and doctors on the planet- on everything from the pandemic to climate change. Advertisers know bringing in some famous actor or sports celebrity to speak to some social policy or public health issue does far more to convince the masses than some egghead wonk.

America doesn't have a mistrust in education or intellectualism.

You can throw all the money you like into the education system (and we spend a lot) and it will not change anything because education begins within the child's household, and too many kids are being raised in a environment of chaos, drugs, malaise, alcohol, violence, and many other things that affect their learning abilities. How can the kids focus in school when everything around them outside of the school is like a minefield.

This is a example of what I am talking about.........

The mother couldn't at least check her son's grades online once in 4 years, and she wants to blame the schools? The schools provide a portal for parents to check the grades of their kids.

The cool kids were all bad in school, even the smart ones with good grades played dumb in grade school to lead our cliques. It’s a thing. I’m not sure why.

All I know is that I didn’t begin respecting school until after I started working and quickly realized life would be much easier with a couple of degrees. So, I saved up some money, quit working and finished college in record time.

America doesn't have a mistrust in education or intellectualism.

You can throw all the money you like into the education system (and we spend a lot) and it will not change anything because education begins within the child's household, and too many kids are being raised in a environment of chaos, drugs, malaise, alcohol, violence, and many other things that affect their learning abilities. How can the kids focus in school when everything around them outside of the school is like a minefield.

This is a example of what I am talking about.........

The mother couldn't at least check her son's grades online once in 4 years, and she wants to blame the schools? The schools provide a portal for parents to check the grades of their kids.

It’s a vicious cycle. Poverty breeds those attitudes, and those attitudes in turn breed more poverty.

How qould you propose fixing the problem?

The cool kids were all bad in school, even the smart ones with good grades played dumb in grade school to lead our cliques. It’s a thing. I’m not sure why.

All I know is that I didn’t begin respecting school until after I started working and quickly realized life would be much easier with a couple of degrees. So, I saved up some money, quit working and finished college in record time.
Yeah true. In fact, they have shown that boys in particular do better in single-sex schools, particularly at the high school level.

Why? it seems when they are with the girls, they are less likely to want to do well academically for fear of being seen as a nerd or dweeb. The impression is that the girls like the bad-boy anti-authoritarian bad boy jocks more (and I am not sure that at the high school level that’s entirely inaccurate). But when the boys are together they firat seem less distracted, and also you remove that fear of being seen as a nerd as a factor. In fact, there is often more a sense of competition among each other to “win” at the game.

It’s a vicious cycle. Poverty breeds those attitudes, and those attitudes in turn breed more poverty.

I have no idea of how to protect kids from households with drugs, alcohol, immature parents, or violence problems?

We can guarantee well funded education programs, but we can't control the environment that kids have to grow up in for the most part.

I have no idea of how to protect kids from households with drugs, alcohol, immature parents, or violence problems?

We can guarantee well funded education programs, but we can't control the environment that kids have to grow up in for the most part.
Haven't those challenges always existed though?

"France's son failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days over his first three years of high school. Only one teacher requested a parent-teacher conference, but France said that didn't happen. Despite this, her son still ranked 62nd in his class out of 120 total students."

Every man and woman in a leadership position in that school system should be fired by the end of today.

If you're looking for a root cause for the achievement and wealth gaps in Black America, here you have it. Ignorance is a far greater impediment to success than is today's level of racism.

No, they haven't

For example , there are more single people than married(2014)

Republicans are trying to destroy public schools with vouchers and college is too expensive for many to consider giving it a shot.

This is why we need citizenry REFORM

Republicans are trying to destroy public schools with vouchers and college is too expensive for many to consider giving it a shot.

(LOL)

That's NOT the reason

"The school failed at their job. They failed. They failed, that's the problem here. They failed. They failed. He didn't deserve that," [the student's mother] said.

After failing 22 classes and over a year and a half's worth of unexcused absences over a four year period, guess who else failed.

Our conservative friends sometimes ask us why we are interested in systematic social policies to address poverty. It should be an individual decision and responsibility, they argue.

But one answer, other than just a bleeding heart humane considerations which they laugh at, is that it helps break these vicious cycles of poverty that lead to so many dysfunctional attitudes and behaviors, whether it’s lack of education, crime, or out-of-wedlock pregnancies. You cannot divorce issues of personal attitudes and responsibility from the social environment and culture from which they arise. If you can address and fix one, you can fix the other. And this can have profound influences on all of us because we all live in this society.

Our conservative friends’ solution seems to be that if you just leave it all alone and free, that the resulting dysfunction eventually become so painful they people will learn. Experience has shown that that does not work. Active intervention, even if slow to take effect, does better in the long term.

Citizenry REFORM

Who do you think is running the Baltimore school system, Republicans or Democrats?

there's nothing inaccurate about my statement.

Yes there is

We have shitty EDUCATION with or without your REPUBLICAN vouchers

Yes there is

We have shitty EDUCATION with or without your REPUBLICAN vouchers
i don't have any Republican vouchers. i received a good education.

there's nothing inaccurate about my statement.

LOL...... evasive too?

Even the Arabs see the problems.

What doesn't exist for the most part anymore is a paddle hanging in the principals office

Back
Top Bottom