• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

16 years ago today...

Listen. I realize you Americans need to protect yourselves from each other but it's not like that here, or mostly anywhere else, either. If I lived down the road from you I'd arm myself, too, whenever I left the house, but it's just not necessary here. I'll bet you that the accidental gun deaths in the US far exceeds the total homicides in Canada. Still not saying you shouldn't be armed but you should understand that the whole world isn't like Newark or Cincinnati. In fact, nowhere is like Newark or Cincinnati except maybe Mogadishu or Kinshasa.

Well in Canada you're not close to Mexico and you also don't have 42 million impoverished descendants of slavery either.

So it is no surprise that crime is rare in Canada and so it is statistically insignificant for you to be armed to defend yourself.

You don't need to defend yourselves.

Well in Canada you're not close to Mexico and you also don't have 42 million impoverished descendants of slavery either.

So it is no surprise that crime is rare in Canada and so it is statistically insignificant for you to be armed to defend yourself.

You don't need to defend yourselves.

We do, we just don't need guns to do it. Ever seen a hockey game?

Listen. I realize you Americans need to protect yourselves from each other but it's not like that here, or mostly anywhere else, either. If I lived down the road from you I'd arm myself, too, whenever I left the house, but it's just not necessary here. I'll bet you that the accidental gun deaths in the US far exceeds the total homicides in Canada. Still not saying you shouldn't be armed but you should understand that the whole world isn't like Newark or Cincinnati. In fact, nowhere is like Newark or Cincinnati except maybe Mogadishu or Kinshasa.

Far as I can pull off a couple of documents.

Canadian police services reported 516 homicides in 2014

The Daily — Homicide in Canada, 2014

and according to the CDC in 2013 there were 505 Deaths due to the accidental discharge of a firearm.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Well apparently he has integrated back into society pretty well and living a normal life, nothing wrong with that.

I only wish the same can be said about his victims.....

You're not advocating for American-style gun laws in Canada, are you? Do you think that would improve our country?

Personally and I know you're responding to someone else, I as a rule do not advocate for legal change in a country I am not a citizen of or do not pay taxes to.

That said, if canada adopted "American style gun laws" (which would have to be defined, because in actuality as a gun owner I would much rather have to live under Canadian laws than say the laws of California) the actual effect would be minimal , likely no existent. Even before C-68 canadian gun crime was a fraction of the US, before the banning of the carry of firearms without authorization in the 60s I believe, your society was peaceful.

Canadians who want to own A.R. 15's and handguns can in fact own them. So no problems there.

That said, if Canada would please make it easier for Americans to bring firearms, I would be more then happy to attent competitions in Canada and pay some GST and lodging taxes.

Personally and I know you're responding to someone else, I as a rule do not advocate for legal change in a country I am not a citizen of or do not pay taxes to.

That said, if canada adopted "American style gun laws" (which would have to be defined, because in actuality as a gun owner I would much rather have to live under Canadian laws than say the laws of California) the actual effect would be minimal , likely no existent. Even before C-68 canadian gun crime was a fraction of the US, before the banning of the carry of firearms without authorization in the 60s I believe, your society was peaceful.

Canadians who want to own A.R. 15's and handguns can in fact own them. So no problems there.

That said, if Canada would please make it easier for Americans to bring firearms, I would be more then happy to attent competitions in Canada and pay some GST and lodging taxes.

Yeah, it's tough. If you're coming here to hunt you can probably bring something, a contract with a guide or something, that would smooth the way at customs, or if you're travelling through to Alaska you could probably document your way past the border booth, but Canada Customs feels like they're protecting us. It's hard enough for a Canadian to transport handguns, they're not likely to make it easier for Americans.

Yeah, it's tough. If you're coming here to hunt you can probably bring something, a contract with a guide or something, that would smooth the way at customs, or if you're travelling through to Alaska you could probably document your way past the border booth, but Canada Customs feels like they're protecting us. It's hard enough for a Canadian to transport handguns, they're not likely to make it easier for Americans.
You know what's funny is as I'm writing this I'm actually sitting at a beachfront Park in Sequim Washington looking at Victoria over the water....

I understand the border services agency position, and I fully understand there has to be rules I'm not expecting that one day I'll just be able to drive up to Canada with a load of guns in the trunk. But a while ago it a pistol competition in Montana I spoke to some Canadian shooters from Victoria, and they mentioned that they would love to be able to hold competitions with our league on Vancouver island or in Vancouver at various pistol clubs, but that wouldn't be practical because in there of you there's not enough interested Canadians and Americans are afraid to come over with guns to Canada. Which is reasonable because I would have to apply for permission months in advance, reserve ferry tickets costing hundreds of dollars and CBSA could still turn me away on a whim for no real reason.

But I mean, it's your country so you guys get to make the rules. I've been to Canada several times, and I've never really felt like I needed a gun on the times I've visited in many ways I actually admire Canadian society.

And like I said the gun laws in Canada in my opinion are far more friendly to firearms owners then in New York or California

When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle the man with the pistol is a dead man.

In Canada the men don't even have pistols -- they are simply women in men's clothing.

Nothing they could have done.
:shock: wtf? oh because women are so weak?

guns are the great equalizer...my finger can squeeze as well as yours...

but there was a mass shooting in canada only a few years earlier, and Lepine idolized that guy, he kept newspaper articles about Lortie in his room, and considered him a model.

(as we can see, few things change, even then the pattern was starting to build where mass shooters serve as a twisted inspiration to other twisted folks)

perhaps yes, but how many have we had since...not many

:shock: wtf? oh because women are so weak?

guns are the great equalizer...my finger can squeeze as well as yours...

Guns are indeed the great equalizer.

And everyone should have one at all times.

Women should especially have one particularly if they are around men.

Correct.

Back
Top Bottom