• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

16 of the Dumbest Things Americans Believe

LizardofOz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
16 of the Dumbest Things Americans Believe -- And the Right-Wing Lies Behind Them | | AlterNet

Here are some of my favorites:

-Many Americans believe Obama has actually raised their taxes when they are about the same or lower

-Half of the new Congress do not believe Global Warming is real

-Nearly 1/5 Americans think Obama is Muslim

-25% of Americans don't believe in evolution

-Nearly 40% of Americans still believe in Sarah Palin's "death panels"

-A vast majority of people under 30 can't identify the two countries their friends are fighting in: Iraqi and Afghanistan

-More Americans can name the 3 stooges than our 3 branches of government

I wonder if any of these apply to some of the people on this board. :shock::shock: Surely not! These are some intelligent well read people we have posting on this board! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

There's only 16?

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to US Partisan Politics, due to partisan source.

And, some people believe things about what their fellow Americans believe because of what they read on mostly unsourced blogs. Rough world.

And, some people believe things about what their fellow Americans believe because of what they read on mostly unsourced blogs. Rough world.

I will admit the article is poorly sourced. The links they provide littered throughout the article however do eventually go to credible sources of the information, or the information is poorly sourced in the article, however it all checks out.

-Nearly 1/5 Americans think Obama is Muslim

-A vast majority of people under 30 can't identify the two countries their friends are fighting in: Iraqi and Afghanistan

I'm going to find a minority in some other country and then create a post saying that these are things people of that country believe as if people in other countries don't believe said thing and as if "1/5" is noteworthy when saying that some people of some nation believe something that only 1/5 of them actually do.

18. Conservatives see things that are disagreeable to them write it off as some kid wrote it that doesn't know what they are talking about (as they post this on software created by kids, post on their Facebook page created by kids)

19. Democrats see things that are disagreeable to them write it off as something to do with Glenn Beck or Fox, see graphs or infographics that are sourced get angry, talk about how much they hate Bush and old people. Call someone racist.

-Many Americans believe Obama has actually raised their taxes when they are about the same or lower

1. he certainly has; most especially if you purchase healthcare that he doesn't approve of.
2. he certainly plans to do so more.

Half of the new Congress do not believe Global Warming is real

good for them; that demonstrates that only the other half is still caught up by the hype. i wonder if any still think that Global Cooling is going to destroy us in the next ice age, or if all those old fogies are gone?

Nearly 1/5 Americans think Obama is Muslim

and more think he's not a christian, or don't know what he is. i personally think he's agnostic leaning towards liberation theology

macro or micro?

-Nearly 40% of Americans still believe in Sarah Palin's "death panels"

including, apparently, Paul Krugman :)

yup. remind me again how people under 30 typically vote?

-More Americans can name the 3 stooges than our 3 branches of government

again i repeat my endless and friendless call to make this question a poll test

17. A poster at Alternet puts together a cherry-picked list of things that make conservatives sound bad and gullible people think it's noteworthy.

There sure were a lot of Cherrys!

I can't name the three stooges

Back
Top Bottom