• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

153 UN states call on Israel to 'renounce possession of nuclear weapons’

The periodic slaughter of Palestinian children and their civilian families in Gaza is more that "skirmishes". The Canadian government agrees with you.

Hamas murders Palestinians who refuse to murders Israeli's. Known fact.

Israel is not obligated to deal with terrorists.

Especially the development of corrupt local officials and some occasional affirmative action employment for third world back bencher lawyers.

That's an ignorant brainfart. Take a look at stats sometime.

The UN is dead politically (always was because it never had teeth) but it's very much alive in regard to world development.

I've held that same opinion for years now, whatever good intentions the UN had it greatly devolved into a useless organization of squabbling politicians with dubious self-serving intentions.

I've held that same opinion for years now, whatever good intentions the UN had it greatly devolved into a useless organization of squabbling politicians with dubious self-serving intentions.

That's only looking at the political, which never really was the purpose of the UN. The UN never had any teeth; that is, it never had the ability to levy fines or otherwise take action against any country.

Construing the UN as a political body is missing the big picture. The UN has been responsible for countless successful development projects around the world. Women's education, healthcare and the demographic transition. Sustainable resource use and comparative advantage trade. Appropriate technology transfer and technological leapfrogging. All of these things have been greatly magnified by the UN and this is and always was the primary function of the UN.

Jean, again, I get your heart is in the right place, and you are super programmed to hate everything Israel does because you feel sympathy for the Palestinians. I, too, feel sympathy for the Palestinians, but both sides are to be pitied, and both sides share blame. But none of that matters in a discussion about nuclear weapons, because countries do not nuke themselves! Once again, they are not tools of internal policy, no matter how much you, rightly, want to hold Israel accountable for their part in the conflict. I'm not arguing with you that their treatment of Palestine is highly problematic.

As for Canada...bud...hehe... You look through our past, and you will notice one thing. We do what WE think is right. It doesn't matter how many people disagree with us, mob mentality and popularity contests don't factor into our decision making. Most times we vote with the UN, but we are free to pursue our own way through the world. Israel is an ally, they've got the bombs already, and they appear to be responsible with them. Having nuclear weapons in that region is a strategic advantage. While this stuff is unfortunate and problematic, just by nature of the fact that we're talking about WMD's, we must operate within the reality we are given. When the world is ready for a full disarmament, I expect we will be at the head of the line to sign. Until then, I am not for dismantling any country's defenses.

You're right...I have no proof that nukes in the region have prevented violence. However, given that they have not been used, despite an endless timeline of uninterrupted conflict in which to do so, you have no proof that Israel having them is any more problematic than any other country having the damn things. Saying that some countries are ok to have them, but not the Jews, well....that's a little problematic too, don't you think?
It is easier for me to understand that the United Nations wants the Middle East to be free of nuclear weapons. Only you presented this as being antisemitic. Only Israel has these weapons. That it is a mainly Jewish country is beside the point.

It is easier for me to understand that the United Nations wants the Middle East to be free of nuclear weapons. Only you presented this as being antisemitic. Only Israel has these weapons. That it is a mainly Jewish country is beside the point.

Them being Jewish in the midst of dozens of Muslims states is the point.

Why don't 153 UN states call on Pakistan to 'renounce possession of nuclear weapons’?

Why don't 153 UN states call on India to 'renounce possession of nuclear weapons’?

Back
Top Bottom