• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

150 Irish artists announce Israel cultural boycott

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Irish Palestine Solidarity Campaign signs artists to pledge saying they will refrain from performing in Israel as long as it abuses Palestinian human rights.
More than 150 Irish artists and intellectuals have declared Saturday a boycott of Israel, saying they would not perform or exhibit in Israel until Israel ceases what they call its abuse of Palestinian human rights.The artists signed a statement, pledging that they refrain from engaging in cultural activity with Israel "until such time as Israel complies with international law and universal principles of human rights”.
150 Irish artists announce Israel cultural boycott - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

No one ever listens to artists anymore.

Unless they have corporate sponsors.

poor Israel, that's 150 drunk Irish tourists they don't have to worry about, i'm sure they'll feel the loss.

Other artists from around the world, including the U.S. and Britian have also followed suit, this does have an effect.

they're just as clueless as many on this issue, they tirelessly defend one side without taking a look at what the side they're defending has done, while Israel ain't guiltless in this matter, neither are the Palestinians.

This might be meaningful if they were Israeli artists, but honestly foreigners boycotting a country and expecting a result is absurd. Entire governments have imposed wide-ranging restrictions on the sale of goods to and purchase of goods from countless countries with no effect. Generally only two things other than military intervention have proven effective in history at ending a policy or regime: diplomacy and major internal dissent.

The hatred for Israel is amazing. Not even the US gets this much flack from "the rest of the world". Poor Israel stands alone while everyone else is willing to support the Palestinians. What do the Palestinians offer to "the rest of the world" so much to where "the rest of the world" is continuing to go on this crusade against Israel to demoralize it's will to exist?

This might be meaningful if they were Israeli artists, but honestly foreigners boycotting a country and expecting a result is absurd. Entire governments have imposed wide-ranging restrictions on the sale of goods to and purchase of goods from countless countries with no effect. Generally only two things other than military intervention have proven effective in history at ending a policy or regime: diplomacy and major internal dissent.

I have to disagree. If you think about that thing we're not supposed to compare Israeli policies with, meaning that thing they had in Africa, this kind of reminds me of that. In both cases you see artists raising awareness and, especially in this case, legitimizing the opposition.

they're just as clueless as many on this issue, they tirelessly defend one side without taking a look at what the side they're defending has done, while Israel ain't guiltless in this matter, neither are the Palestinians.

It's pretty easy for them to make sweeping declarations of good and evil, when they never get their hands dirty (aside from the paint, clay or other art materials they use).

If 150 artists want to do this they can. However do they even recognize the evils of Palestine? Or do they blindly denounce Israel because they are propagated into believing that Israel abuses Palestinians and hates Palestine? I support there right to do this, but I think it's very ignorant and I disagree with it.

I totally agree with that and I believe that the change in Israel will come from within. If you compare Israel to what it was before 1982 and before the first Intifada, things have moved forward. certainly in baby steps, but moved nonetheless. The opposition is a minority now but it is growing.

It will also help if the Palestinians adopted non-violent means of protest. They say that they tried but were met with fire. They say that the non-violent protest in Iran failed.I really believe that the Palestinians will gain more through non-violence.

Last edited:
I totally agree with that and I believe that the change in Israel will come from within. If you compare Israel to what it was before 1882 and before the first Intifada, things have moved forward. certainly in baby steps, but moved nonetheless. The opposition is a minority now but it is growing.

Change may come from within but others have also suggested that this sort of thing can increase public awareness if it is done on a wider scale, if Joe Public joins in. Politicians do need to listen to their electorate to some extent.

It will also help if the Palestinians adopted non-violent means of protest. They say that they tried but were met with fire. They say that the non-violent protest in Iran failed.

Mira I was listening to a video the other day and it was talking about a person who had managed to start some kind of Palestinian Gandhi like non violent movement. Of course this is the very thing which would be the most help for Palestinians both with world opinion and with the general population in Israel I suspect.

The tape said that this Palestinian was expelled. Now I could not catch the name. I would like to look up more on this person. I am wondering if you know who he was so that I could do some research and find out more what happened and why this non violent protest stopped.

Summer tourism numbers heat up
By RON FRIEDMAN
08/10/2010 04:10

Incoming tourist figures continue to break records. On Monday, the Tourism Ministry announced that 280,000 people had visited Israel in July, 11 percent higher than last July’s figures and an all-time record for the month. According to ministry figures, 1.9 million tourists entered the country between January and July, an increase of 34% over the same period last year, and 10% more than what was registered during those months in 2008 – which was a record year for tourism. July was the ninth consecutive record month for incoming tourists.
Source: JPost.com

Tourism in Israel is one of the country's major sources of income, with 2.7 million tourists in 2009.[1] Israel offers a plethora of historical and religious sites, beach resorts, archaeological tourism, heritage tourism and ecotourism. Israel has the highest number of museums per capita in the world.[2] The most popular paid site is Masada.[3] The largest groups of tourists visit from the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, and Germany.[4]

The World Travel and Tourism Council estimates that real GDP growth for tourism in Israel is expected to average 5.0% per annum over the years 2010-2020. The contribution of tourism to Gross Domestic Product is expected by WTTC to rise from 6.4% (US$12.0 billion) in 2010 to 7.2% ($22.1 billion) by 2020.[26] Export earnings from international visitors and tourism goods are expected to generate 6.5% of total exports (US $4.8 billion) in 2010.[26]
Source: Tourism in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Israel has a Mediterranean climate with more tourist attractions and diversity than perhaps any other area of its size. The topography is also stunning with mountains, valleys, streams, waterfalls, tectonic rifts, deserts, Mediterranean beaches, and pristine coral reefs on the Red Sea. Over 50% of first-time visitors and tourists return to visit Israel again.

Source: JPost.com

Source: Tourism in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Israel has a Mediterranean climate with more tourist attractions and diversity than perhaps any other area of its size. The topography is also stunning with mountains, valleys, streams, waterfalls, tectonic rifts, deserts, Mediterranean beaches, and pristine coral reefs on the Red Sea. Over 50% of first-time visitors and tourists return to visit Israel again.

I don't know about you, but personally I'd take the artists

carlos_santana.jpg

and leave the tourists

normal1632.jpg

Anytime.

you forget, these are Irish
irish-leprechaun.gif

The statement comes as more and more artists scheduled to perform in Israel, such Elvis Costello, The Pixies, Jill Scott Heron, Santana, The Klaxons and the Gorillaz Sound System, have canceled their shows, in what appeared to be a response to Israel's raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla last May, which resulted in the death of 9 flotilla activists.

150 Irish artists announce Israel cultural boycott - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

I don't know about you, but personally I'd take the artists.
I did. Rod Stewart, Elton John, and Metallica among others gave concerts in Tel Aviv this summer.

Who performed in Beirut?

Irish Palestine Solidarity Campaign signs artists to pledge saying they will refrain from performing in Israel as long as it abuses Palestinian human rights.

Even if the entire world would culturally boycott Israel it will not stop practicing its right to self defense, so I don't see what their point truly is.
However, in regarding to the 150 Irish folks, I really couldn't see what am I losing here. 150 loons are not coming to Israel; no, really? That sucks.

And, in other news, Israel has recalled it's artists from Ireland, and ordered them to return to Israel. Here is a picture of them leaving the Irish shore, on their way home:

Passover1.JPG

jeez, several thousand years and they still have the same shtick.

And, in other news, Israel has recalled it's artists from Ireland, and ordered them to return to Israel. Here is a picture of them leaving the Irish shore, on their way home:

Passover1.JPG

ROFLMAO !!!! :applaud

Too long to list them all.

Please check out for yourself, I'll help you with 2 links

Bieteddine Festival 2010
Baalbeck
And did Beirut have a Gay Parade?

Tel Aviv had its 12th annual Gay Pride Parade this summer.

Guess the Irish artists only see what they want to see.

Back
Top Bottom