• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

15 people have been charged in the Flint water scandal

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
DETROIT (AP) — Fifteen people have been charged in an investigation of how Flint’s water became contaminated with lead in 2014-15 and a related outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease. Seven people have pleaded no contest to misdemeanors in deals that will leave them without a criminal record.

The other 8 have been charged with crimes ranging from obstruction to manslaughter.

Justice is finally being served in my home town.

https://apnews.com/bd7cac3dee0341fba374a28cf716a6a6

People being charged doesn't mean it is the correct/right thing to do.
Lay the cases out.
And since this is a political forum, what are their political affiliations.

Well if, in lieu of criminal charges, you’d rather just strap them down and force gallons of the Leggionaires water down their gullets that they exposed the people of Flint to and tried to cover up then I’d be in favor of that.

I’d be in favor of that.
As what you suggest is demented I have no doubt you would support it just as you stated.

I want to see each case laid out for review to see if their actions and the charges hold.

People being charged doesn't mean it is the correct/right thing to do.
Lay the cases out.
And since this is a political forum, what are their political affiliations.

I don't give hoot what their political affiliations are. But I do agree that until we know that the officials responsible are the one's actually being charged, its premature to celebrate.

Till then, after reading and seeing a documentary on Netflix, I am outraged at the denial, coverup, fake water testing, and intentional obstruction by water utility officials, as well as the indifference displayed by many (but not all) in the EPA. In these moments of outrage at abuse under the color of "public servants" I see the utility in Stalin's methods of dealing with failure by his officials and government employees: the firing squad.

None the less, I never expected that the system would go after public officials for such malicious incompetence. If we would do more of that, I might feel better about our grossly flawed legal system.

The city of Flint knew about the problem for years before we ever heard about it.

The lock step incompetent democrat city leadership waited for it to get out of hand so the state could take over and take the blame.

I don't give hoot what their political affiliations are.
Good for you? :shrug:

Why, are the majority Dems?

But I do agree that until we know that the officials responsible are the one's actually being charged, its premature to celebrate.
That sounds like biased nonsense. Being responsible for the decisions made does not mean a person should be charged with a crime.

Till then, after reading and seeing a documentary on Netflix, I am outraged at the denial, coverup, fake water testing, and intentional obstruction by water utility officials, as well as the indifference displayed by many (but not all) in the EPA. In these moments of outrage at abuse under the color of "public servants" I see the utility in Stalin's methods of dealing with failure by his officials and government employees: the firing squad.
I see. A Netflix documentary has influenced you.
Not good enough.
Lay out their actions and the charges for review.

None the less, I never expected that the system would go after public officials for such malicious incompetence. If we would do more of that, I might feel better about our grossly flawed legal system.
The system is not grossly flawed, so stop with the dishonesty.

This sounds a lot like enforcing the law differently than it has before. If that is the case, that is wrong as it then becomes a selective enforcement and/or an equal protection issue.

Change the laws if you do not like them but don't reinterpret and enforce especially in ways that they have not been before.

The city of Flint knew about the problem for years before we ever heard about it.

The lock step incompetent democrat city leadership waited for it to get out of hand so the state could take over and take the blame.

The ones being charged with manslaughter were appointed by Governor Snyder, and includes the manager he put in charge of Flint, which dissolved Flint's government, and made the state of Michigan it's government..

Good for you? :shrug:

Why, are the majority Dems?

That sounds like biased nonsense. Being responsible for the decisions made does not mean a person should be charged with a crime.

Why, because the majority are Dems?

If public officials have been criminally negligent in their duties then what party they belong to is irrelevant. Anyone who intentionally fails to carry out and enforce water cleanliness requirements, and significantly damaged people with lead poisoning, is deserving of prosecution. YOU may be interested in political protection of those guilty of involentary manslaughter, I am not.

I see. A Netflix documentary has influenced you.
Not good enough.
Lay out their actions and the charges for review.

Actually a PBS Nova documentary has influenced me, one that I believe I first saw on Netflix. The ACLU also has a similar documentary, equally excoriating the town, state, and federal officials responsible for the disaster.

As I stated, I am not willing to conclude that those specifically charged were the ones guilty until I read more. I am more than happy to join the residents of Flint (the majority black) who were poisoned by criminally negligent actions.

The system is not grossly flawed, so stop with the dishonesty.

So then, now are a conservative protecting "the system"?

This sounds a lot like enforcing the law differently than it has before. If that is the case, that is wrong as it then becomes a selective enforcement and/or an equal protection issue.

Change the laws if you do not like them but don't reinterpret and enforce especially in ways that they have not been before.
Since you have done nothing to inform yourself on the situation in Flint, not even seen a documentary, why are engaging in baseless conjecture on selective enforcement or equal protection?

Your objections are nothing more than pre-judgement according to your political prejudices.

"Not good enough". Lay out the evidence that the actions and charges amount to selective enforcement and equal protection violations for review. Right?

Last edited:
If public officials have been criminally negligent in their duties then what party they belong to is irrelevant.
iLOL For some reason I do not believe you.
I wonder why that is?

Anyone who intentionally fails to carry out and enforce water cleanliness requirements, and significantly damaged people with lead poisoning, is deserving of prosecution.
You are making assumptions.
Me? I want the information laid out with the charges so we can determine if the charges are just.

YOU may be interested in political protection of those guilty of involentary manslaughter, I am not.
Thank you for showing everybody you know not of what you speak.

Again; Lay out their actions and the charges for review.
That is because I want actual justice to be achieved, not public outrage to drive a verdict like you apparently do.

Actually a PBS Nova documentary has influenced me, one that I believe I first saw on Netflix. The ACLU also has a similar documentary, equally excoriating the town, state, and federal officials responsible for the disaster.
These kind of Docs leave relevant information out.
No reason to accept the information they present.

As I stated, I am not willing to conclude that those specifically charged were the ones guilty until I read more.
This commentary assumes someone is guilty of a crime when they may not be.

... the residents of Flint (the majority black) ...
Irrelevant info unless you are saying that is why your displayed bias is as it is?

I am more than happy to join the residents of Flint (the majority black) who were poisoned by criminally negligent actions.
Assumptions.
Again Lay out the actions and the charges so such can be argued/determined.

Why, because you are a conservative?
Lame.
The system is not flawed and you can not show it is.

Since you have done nothing to inform yourself on the situation in Flint, not even seen a documentary, why are engaging in baseless conjecture on selective enforcement or equal protection?

Your objections are nothing more than pre-judgement according to your political prejudices.

"Not good enough". Lay out the evidence that the actions and charges amount to selective enforcement and equal protection violations for review. Right?
:lamo
I spoke to the generalities of what you were saying. Nothing I said was incorrect. Selective enforcement is in and of itself wrong.
Changing interpretation of written law to include other things that were not previously enforced under that law is is not equal protection under the law.

I have been asking for the actions and the charges be laid out for review here in this forum. Do you really not understand that? But saying you saw a documentary doesn't cut it no matter how much you think it does.

GOOD

Thats great!

Thats a start . . i hope all the charges are legit and everybody responsible and guilt of crimes gets the book thrown at them . . .that whole situation is disgusting

Well, apparently not much is gonna happen if some of them get to walk away without a criminal record.

The ones being charged with manslaughter were appointed by Governor Snyder, and includes the manager he put in charge of Flint, which dissolved Flint's government, and made the state of Michigan it's government..

And prove to us where the problem began with Snyder.

Incompetence has been been the mainstay of Flint's government for 30 freaking years.

Well, apparently not much is gonna happen if some of them get to walk away without a criminal record.

agreed thats why i said i hope :shrug:
sadly when stuff like this happens even in this country many people get away with thier crimes

And may they burn in hell.

For a while. Eternity is too long.

iLOL For some reason I do not believe you.
I wonder why that is?

You are making assumptions.
Me? I want the information laid out with the charges so we can determine if the charges are just.

Thank you for showing everybody you know not of what you speak.

Again; Lay out their actions and the charges for review.
That is because I want actual justice to be achieved, not public outrage to drive a verdict like you apparently do.

These kind of Docs leave relevant information out.
No reason to accept the information they present.

This commentary assumes someone is guilty of a crime when they may not be.

Irrelevant info unless you are saying that is why your displayed bias is as it is?

Assumptions.
Again Lay out the actions and the charges so such can be argued/determined.

Lame.
The system is not flawed and you can not show it is.

:lamo
I spoke to the generalities of what you were saying. Nothing I said was incorrect. Selective enforcement is in and of itself wrong.
Changing interpretation of written law to include other things that were not previously enforced under that law is is not equal protection under the law.

I have been asking for the actions and the charges be laid out for review here in this forum. Do you really not understand that? But saying you saw a documentary doesn't cut it no matter how much you think it does.

Your list of identical micro-carps and habitual repeat of the same trivial snarks aren't worthy of serious dialog. On the other hand, it makes it simple to boil down your complaints to a few statements:

- You can't support justice without being first to which political party the accused belongs to.
- You think the system that supports your tainted view of justice by an ideological litmus test is peachy cool.
- Yet you want to believe that the charges under this "unflawed system" are unfair and violate equal protection because they are either democrats or government officials.

To that I have replied that someone is responsible for the poisoning of Flint citizens and they must be held accountable, period. Be it those charged or some other party. I have no idea how fair the charges are for these specific individuals, but I do know that those officials who rigged water testing, wrote letters to investigators that they were using anti-corrosive chemicals (they were not) in accordance with EPA requirements, and who accused citizens for 18 months of being hysterics were liars and reckless.

I have no problem with throwing those persons responsible under the wheels of justice - but you do.

Here is one early report that illuminates: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/ag/Flint+Water+Interim+Report_575711_7.pdf

Says enough, I think.

Last edited:

You should read up on the crisis and get the basics correct before commenting further. You're just demonstrating a near total ignorance of what happened with that comment.

Your list of identical micro-carps and habitual repeat of the same trivial snarks aren't worthy of serious dialog. On the other hand, it makes it simple to boil down your complaints to a few statements:

- You can't support justice without being first to which political party the accused belongs to.
- You think the system that supports your tainted view of justice by an ideological litmus test is peachy cool.
- Yet you want to believe that the charges under this "unflawed system" are unfair and violate equal protection because they are either democrats or government officials.

To that I have replied that someone is responsible for the poisoning of Flint citizens and they must be held accountable, period. Be it those charged or some other party. I have no idea how fair the charges are for these specific individuals, but I do know that those officials who rigged water testing, wrote letters to investigators that they were using anti-corrosive chemicals (they were not) in accordance with EPA requirements, and who accused citizens for 18 months of being hysterics were liars and reckless.

I have no problem with throwing those persons responsible under the wheels of justice - but you do.

Here is one early report that illuminates: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/ag/Flint+Water+Interim+Report_575711_7.pdf

Says enought, I think.

What's a little bit amusing here is the people charged worked under Snyder (R) and those appointed by the city manager hired by Snyder, presumably Republicans or non-partisans but answering ultimately to a Republican, and your lean is 'conservative' so there's no case I can see of your bias - the opposite in fact. :peace

And prove to us where the problem began with Snyder.

Incompetence has been been the mainstay of Flint's government for 30 freaking years.

You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. Until Snyder took office, Flint got it's water from Detroit, and was in the process of designing a new pipeline to take it's water directly from Lake Huron. Yes, Democrats screwed up the city financially, and Snyder dissolved Flint's government, and appointed a manager to run the city. It is this manager who has been charged with manslaughter, as well as others. Despite hard evidence that water from the Flint River was toxic, they nonetheless ordered that the city's water come directly from that river in order to save a buck. Christ, when I was a kid, I used to skip stones off the Flint River because it made sparks. Part of the Flint River, near the old A/C Sparks Plugs plant, actually caught on fire. Not the size of the Detroit River Fire or the Cuyahoga River Fire in Cleveland, but a fire. Snyder's people saw the data with their own eyes that the water was toxic, and able to leech lead from the piping, but went ahead with it anyways. That is why the manslaughter charges and other indictments. Snyder's people committed homicide, people died or are crippled for life, and they are going to pay for it. Before you shoot off your mouth, try a little reading. Sorry if I am so nasty about this, but this is where I ****ing grew up, and people who try to make this political by finger pointing at everybody except those criminally charged really piss me off.

Last edited:
You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. Until Snyder took office, Flint got it's water from Detroit, and was in the process of designing a new pipeline to take it's water directly from Lake Huron. Yes, Democrats screwed up the city financially, and Snyder dissolved Flint's government, and appointed a manager to run the city. It is this manager who has been charged with manslaughter, as well as others. Despite hard evidence that water from the Flint River was toxic, they nonetheless ordered that the city's water come directly from that river in order to save a buck. Christ, when I was a kid, I used to skip stones off the Flint River because it made sparks. Part of the Flint River, near the old A/C Sparks Plugs plant, actually caught on fire. Not the size of the Detroit River Fire or the Cuyahoga River Fire in Cleveland, but a fire. Snyder's people saw the data with their own eyes that the water was toxic, and able to leech lead from the piping, but went ahead with it anyways. That is why the manslaughter charges and other indictments. Snyder's people committed homicide, people died or are crippled for life, and they are going to pay for it. Before you shoot off your mouth, try a little reading. Sorry if I am so nasty about this, but this is where I ****ing grew up, and people who try to make this political by finger pointing at everybody except those criminally charged really piss me off.

Snyder himself should face charges. I hope they nail these folks to the wall!

Snyder himself should face charges. I hope they nail these folks to the wall!

Snyder knew something, but authorities are not sure what. There is not enough evidence to charge him.................yet.

Snyder knew something, but authorities are not sure what. There is not enough evidence to charge him.................yet.

Well for those who are responsible, they deserve a lot worse than they're being charged with.

Well for those who are responsible, they deserve a lot worse than they're being charged with.

Maybe, but this is still a victory for justice.

Maybe, but this is still a victory for justice.

Well it's something. I'm lucky to live in a decent part of Washington, but yeah this, this is one of the most heinous crimes in modern American history, in my mind, as bad as a mass shooting and for what, money? Some conttracts?

But that said,we have our own heinous mess of missmanagement, it's called Hanford. We may NEVER get this one right, I have lost faith on it.....

Back
Top Bottom