• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

14 States Passed Laws Making it Harder to Get an Abortion

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The War on Women's Rights continues unabated.

As state legislatures across the country wrap up their 2016 sessions, one of the most active areas of legislating hasn't been red-hot LGBT issues or immigration. It's been the decades-old issue of abortion.

And on that issue, social conservatives are on a roll. This year, antiabortion advocates passed some 30 laws in 14 states to make it harder for people to get abortion. Here are a few of the big numbers. A graphic of recent laws is here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-year/?postshare=8571464798942942&tid=ss_tw

There was a backlash long overdue. It will become much stronger, I should think.

Any laws that significantly restrict abortion will be struck down by the courts. Either these laws do that or they don't. If they do then they're history or soon will be. If they don't then you are raising false alarms and ought to be ashamed of yourself.

If the laws haven't already been struck down I suspect that it's because they don't actually restrict abortion in any significant way. Mandating that abortion clinics follow normal regulations of safety, cleanliness and hygiene, like every other medical clinic has to do, isn't restricting abortion.

Any laws that significantly restrict abortion will be struck down by the courts. Either these laws do that or they don't. If they do then they're history or soon will be. If they don't then you are raising false alarms and ought to be ashamed of yourself.

There is zero reason to be ashamed. These are laws that restrict a right. And while all rights are subject to some restrictions, we should be notified of the potential risk - particularly for the women located in these localities.

If the laws haven't already been struck down I suspect that it's because they don't actually restrict abortion in any significant way.

Yes, on the average, many of these laws will probably survive a challenge because attorneys are evaluating the laws as they are written or passed and evaluating the legality of such. With that said, I am friends with one such attorney in Georgia and he was ordered to write legislation for laws that he could prove was previously ruled unconstitutional. Some legislatures will intentionally pass laws with the intent of hopefully overturning previous Supreme Court precedent.

Mandating that abortion clinics follow normal regulations of safety, cleanliness and hygiene, like every other medical clinic has to do, isn't restricting abortion.

They actually can be unconstitutional even if the intent of the law is constitutional where the real-world impact of the law is to severely restrict access of women to this right. You see the same occur all the time with discrimination laws that were written for nondiscriminatory purposes, but had a discriminatory effect.

If the laws haven't already been struck down I suspect that it's because they don't actually restrict abortion in any significant way. Mandating that abortion clinics follow normal regulations of safety, cleanliness and hygiene, like every other medical clinic has to do, isn't restricting abortion.

Probably the courts will still do that. The wave has crested, though, and the backlash is beginning. The liberals have gone too far against citizens' rights and crowed too much. The only question I see is how bad it gets.

Good for them. Abortion should be restricted as much as possible, and ideally prohibited entirely.

Good for them. Abortion should be restricted as much as possible, and ideally prohibited entirely.

It is legal, it is the law.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one.

It is legal, it is the law.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one.

Abortion is not cheesecake. Women don't have abortion. Abortion is done to "fetus". The woman remains the same and as she was before conception.

"As state legislatures across the country wrap up their 2016 sessions, one of the most active areas of legislating hasn't been red-hot LGBT issues or immigration. It's been the decades-old issue of abortion."

Because nobody really gives a crap about mentally sick people who are just a PITA, or immigration which is federal.

Abortion rights activists should be happy. Their desire to make abortions rare has been recognized and is being implemented.

Last edited:
"As state legislatures across the country wrap up their 2016 sessions, one of the most active areas of legislating hasn't been red-hot LGBT issues or immigration. It's been the decades-old issue of abortion."

Because nobody really gives a crap about mentally sick people who are just a PITA, or immigration which is federal.

Abortion rights activists should be happy. Their desire to make abortions rare has been recognized and is being implemented.

I'd like it to be rare but totally available. I prefer though that people who do not want kids or cannot handle them not get pregnant in the first place. But, there's lots of things I would like that I can't have.

Here's a trifecta
maxresdefault.jpg

Abortion is not cheesecake. Women don't have abortion. Abortion is done to "fetus". The woman remains the same and as she was before conception.

No, women have abortions. And they are perfectly legal in America. You can go back to your country and complain about it there, but we have laws and it is legal.

And, no, after the abortion the woman does not remain the same....she is not pregnant any more. Do I have to buy you a science book?

Last edited:

If they are "normal regulations of safety, cleanliness and hygiene, like every other medical clinic has to do", then why are they making laws specifically targeting abortion clinics?

I hope more and more states and bills pass or try to get pass because in the end it will only help secure abortion and protect rights. Its awesome how dumb these dishonest extremists are. They more and more they try to work the grey areas the more and more thier attempts will be challenged in court until they lose and the grey areas will further disappear and NOT in their favor but in the favor of womans rights.

The sad part is, there are things we could do that wouldnt be so bad or infringe on rights but everything they try comes from a dishonest foundation or the goal of bannings . . that will always eventually fail . . .

Thanks extremists!!! you are helping rights win!

If they are "normal regulations of safety, cleanliness and hygiene, like every other medical clinic has to do", then why are they making laws specifically targeting abortion clinics?

Because abortion clinics have gotten away with substandard safety and hygiene for so long.

Because abortion clinics have gotten away with substandard safety and hygiene for so long.

That doesn't say much for the medical care in your country.

BTW, is there any evidence of women dying or getting complications because of these "substandards"?

Please back up your statement with some actual statistics and facts.

No, women have abortions. And they are perfectly legal in America. You can go back to your country and complain about it there, but we have laws and it is legal.

And, no, after the abortion the woman does not remain the same....she is not pregnant any more. Do I have to buy you a science book?

It would help if you read my post before spouting.

Me: The woman remains the same and as she was before conception.

You: And, no, after the abortion the woman does not remain the same....she is not pregnant any more.

One of us needs to see a doctor.

So people don't *have* heart surgery, bowel resection etc?

Yes. People have heart surgery. People have bowel resection.

The sentence, "women have abortion" is different. I will let you figure out what it is. If you can't, let me know and I will explain.

I'd like it to be rare but totally available. I prefer though that people who do not want kids or cannot handle them not get pregnant in the first place. But, there's lots of things I would like that I can't have.

Here's a trifecta
maxresdefault.jpg

I will take the car. In the long run, it would cost me less. And I would know what to do with it.

Abortion is not cheesecake.

People don't HAVE cheesecake... people EAT cheesecke. I swear, the more you post the worse it gets...

Women don't have abortion. Abortion is done to "fetus".

Stop trying to be cute with the language. It is a saying that works just fine. I can HAVE a root canal. It isn't my teeth having a root canal.

The woman remains the same and as she was before conception.

Irrelevant because at the time she HAS the abortion she IS pregnant.

It would help if you read my post before spouting.

Me: The woman remains the same and as she was before conception.

You: And, no, after the abortion the woman does not remain the same....she is not pregnant any more.

One of us needs to see a doctor.

Abortion: Legal. You don't like it? Move back to your country.

If you don't like abortion, don't have one.

We have laws in America, you should have researched that when you moved here.

Back
Top Bottom