• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

14 States Passed Laws Making it Harder to Get an Abortion

In a restaurant, do you say to the waiter: I will have a cheesecake, or I will eat a cheesecake?

Have it means it is brought to you... then you eat it. See the difference?

Yes. People have heart surgery. People have bowel resection.

The sentence, "women have abortion" is different. I will let you figure out what it is. If you can't, let me know and I will explain.

LOL and SMH. If people have heart surgery and have bowel resection, then they have abortion.

This is so good I want to share it here right away. From mayoclinic.org:

Fetal surgery, a procedure in which surgery is performed on an unborn baby (fetus), is offered in some conditions to improve the long-term outcome after delivery.

For example, surgeons might perform open fetal surgery if a fetus has been diagnosed before birth (prenatally) with spina bifida.

In one type of spina bifida, myelomeningocele, an opening in the skin on the fetus' back causes part of the spinal cord and coverings to be exposed to amniotic fluid in the uterus. If your doctor finds your unborn baby has myelomeningocele, your doctor might suggest open fetal surgery to treat the condition.

--------------------------

Holy s***! Based on that, dumb me thinks that a baby who was not yet born is sometimes called a fetus. Or that fetus IS a baby - unborn but still a baby.

And then this: The word 'fetus' is Latin for "little one". Not a blob, or spur, or a piece of meat. Just, "little one".

Last edited:

Fetal surgery, a procedure in which surgery is performed on an unborn baby (fetus), is offered in some conditions to improve the long-term outcome after delivery.

For example, surgeons might perform open fetal surgery if a fetus has been diagnosed before birth (prenatally) with spina bifida.

In one type of spina bifida, myelomeningocele, an opening in the skin on the fetus' back causes part of the spinal cord and coverings to be exposed to amniotic fluid in the uterus. If your doctor finds your unborn baby has myelomeningocele, your doctor might suggest open fetal surgery to treat the condition.

Holy s***! Based on that, dumb me thinks that a baby who was not yet born is sometimes called a fetus. Or that fetus IS a baby - unborn but still a baby.

And then this: The word 'fetus' is Latin for "little one". Not a blob, or spur, or a piece of meat. Just, "little one".

Means nothing.

Abortion is legal in this country, if you don't like it, go back to your country and quit whining.

Means nothing.

Abortion is legal in this country, if you don't like it, go back to your country and quit whining.

And, that's the thing. People cannot accept that abortion is legal, should be accessible and that those performing or getting abortions should not be harassed, threatened or killed.

Means nothing.

It means a lot.

The fact that you don't like when doctors say "fetus" is a baby, means nothing.

That quote is from the internationally recognized MAYO CLINIC, for crying out loud, not from some fringe group planning to blow up another abortion chamber.

Last edited:
And, that's the thing. People cannot accept that abortion is legal, should be accessible and that those performing or getting abortions should not be harassed, threatened or killed.

My post does not argue legality of abortion so your response is a perfect strawman and an avoidance move.

My post is about "it's only a fetus" crap, meant to reduce the cringe factor.

Yes, I know it's legal, so stop repeating it like a stuck LP player. Death penalty is legal, but every time some lowlife is executed, the antis buy candles and sing at the prison gate.

My post does not argue legality of abortion so your response is a perfect strawman and an avoidance move.

My post is about "it's only a fetus" crap, meant to reduce the cringe factor.

Yes, I know it's legal, so stop repeating it like a stuck LP player. Death penalty is legal, but every time some lowlife is executed, the antis buy candles and sing at the prison gate.

If the "choicers" bought candies and sang hymns at the abortion clinic, I wouldn't be complaining.

The War on Women's Rights continues unabated.
Laws that continue to allow abortion up to 20-22 weeks will stand those that do not will not make it past the SC.

Bolding mine in your quote since it appears you seem to have missed the words fetal,
unborn baby and fetus )
part.

According to Mayo clinic a fetus can also be referred to an unborn baby .
The qualifier is the word unborn.

Who cares , as long as the word unborn is there.

Last edited:
Laws that continue to allow abortion up to 20-22 weeks will stand those that do not will not make it past the SC.

I highly doubt it. At least nine states that passed 20 week abortion laws in 2010 through 2013 have already been struck down as unconstitutional by the federal courts.

From this May, 2013 article:
A federal appellate panel struck down Arizona’s abortion lawon Tuesday, saying it was unconstitutional “under a long line of invariant Supreme Court precedents” that guarantee a woman’s right to end a pregnancy any time before a fetus is deemed viable outside her womb — generally at 24 weeks.

The law, enacted in April 2012 despite vociferous protest by women’s and civil rights groups, made abortions illegal if performed 20 weeks after a woman’s last menstrual period, or roughly 18 weeks after fertilization, even if the woman learned that the fetus had no chance of surviving after birth. At 18 weeks, many fetal abnormalities can be detected through sonograms.

In its opinion, the panel of three judges assigned to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco wrote that a fetus’s viability “varies from pregnancy to pregnancy,” which should be determined by doctors, not legislators.
The decision applies to Arizona and the eight other Western states under the Ninth Circuit’s jurisdiction, including Idaho, where similar legislation had already been deemed unconstitutional.

It is legal, it is the law.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one.

There's still the discussion of until how many weeks. One good tactic against the pro-death crowd is to push them to name a number of weeks past which abortion is unacceptable. If they refuse to answer it means their number is 39 weeks.

There's another thread that says that these laws have not reduced abortions. A little conflict there. Are abortions being reduced because they are harder to get or not?

There's still the discussion of until how many weeks. One good tactic against the pro-death crowd is to push them to name a number of weeks past which abortion is unacceptable. If they refuse to answer it means their number is 39 weeks.

Legal abortions in the third trimester ( past 24 weeks gestation) are extremely rare and are to save the life of the woman.

From an old Fox News article ( from 2003 )
June 17, 2003
Of the 1.6 million abortions performed in the U.S. each year, 91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation);
and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation),

Fast Facts: U.S. Abortion Statistics | Fox News

The stats since then have changed.
By 2012 the numbers of abortion were less than 1.2 million.
In 2014 the CDC reported less than I million.

Fewer than I.3 percent of legal abortions took place between 21 weeks gestation and 24 weeks gestation.
Some for maternal health , more for fetal health since fetal abnormalies usually do not show up until the 18-20 gestational week ultrasound. That only gives the parents with input from the doctor and tests to decide if they want to terminate the pregnancy since viabily usually occurs between 22 and 24 weeks.

Less than 100 abortions occur after 24 weeks gestation.

They are the extreme cases.

There are only 3 clinics in all the USA ( and 4 clinic doctors ) who perform legal abortions after the age of viability ( between 22 to 24 weeks ) gestation and they are for the extreme cases. Cases where the fetus is not viable ( will be stillborn or is so malformed will only live a few minutes or hours). If a fetus dies or is dying within the womb , it can case a life threatening infection in the woman. Or if irreparable damage to a major bodily function ( such as stroke, heart attack, paralysis from the neck down , kidney damage etc. ) would occur if the pregnancy continued.

Doctors all of the US who patients had these extreme conditions would send there patients to one of these clinics.

In 2008 Kansas had one of the clinics for these extreme cases.
Kansas kept a record of all abortions at or after 22 weeks gestation.

There were 323 abortions for these extreme cases.

131 were because the fetus was not viable. ( was stillborns or so malformed it would live only a few minutes or hours).
The other 192 were because irreparable damage to a major bodily function would occur if the pregnancy continued.

They were extreme cases.

See page for Kansas stats for abortions at or after 22 weeks gestation.

http://www.kdheks.gov/hci/abortion_sum/08itop1.pdf

There's another thread that says that these laws have not reduced abortions. A little conflict there. Are abortions being reduced because they are harder to get or not?

Are legal abortions reduced by laws that impose Undue Burden?

Circuit Appeal Courts decisions that have opined about women's health and undue hardship laws, which support those laws, are hanging in the balance with the Supreme Court.

In Texas, legal abortion rates have gone down. Why, Texas is 1100 mile from top to bottom and 950 miles across, and a law pass a couple or so years ago caused many clinics to close...and there are many lower income women who don't have access. This is UNDUE BURDEN, which the 5th Circuit of Appeals, which is made up of a very pro-life panel, says, "Naaaaaaaawh, there's no undue burden." Bull****!

And after Texas legislators passed this law about so-called women's health - a number came out admitting the law was intended to close clinics because they are against abortion...period, and that it wasn't about concern over women's health.

And in fact, Texas legislators never had proof that women's health, via the abortion clinic system in Texas, was ever a problem in the first place.

Lack of access is undue burden, period. And lack of access can reduce the number of LEGAL ABORTIONS within a given state.

But now there's evidence that illegal abortions are coming back via Roe v Wade in the states that have figured out a loophole around Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood v Casey 1992.

What thread?
The latest CDC stats available are from 2012.

Also according to the 2012 CDC stats less 1.3 of all legal US abortions occur past 21 weeks gestation.
They likely are because of fetal health or maternal concerns.

Are legal abortions reduced by laws that impose Undue Burden?

Circuit Appeal Courts decisions that have opined about women's health and undue hardship laws, which support those laws, are hanging in the balance with the Supreme Court.

In Texas, legal abortion rates have gone down. Why, Texas is 1100 mile from top to bottom and 950 miles across, and a law pass a couple or so years ago caused many clinics to close...and there are many lower income women who don't have access. This is UNDUE BURDEN, which the 5th Circuit of Appeals, which is made up of a very pro-life panel, says, "Naaaaaaaawh, there's no undue burden." Bull****!

And after Texas legislators passed this law about so-called women's health - a number came out admitting the law was intended to close clinics because they are against abortion...period, and that it wasn't about concern over women's health.

And in fact, Texas legislators never had proof that women's health, via the abortion clinic system in Texas, was ever a problem in the first place.

Lack of access is undue burden, period. And lack of access can reduce the number of LEGAL ABORTIONS within a given state.

But now there's evidence that illegal abortions are coming back via Roe v Wade in the states that have figured out a loophole around Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood v Casey 1992.

Our tax dollars do not pay for abortions. If it is profitable they'll build the abortion mills.

Legal abortions in the third trimester ( past 24 weeks gestation) are extremely rare and are to save the life of the woman.

From an old Fox News article ( from 2003 )

Fast Facts: U.S. Abortion Statistics | Fox News

The stats since then have changed.
By 2012 the numbers of abortion were less than 1.2 million.
In 2014 the CDC reported less than I million.

Fewer than I.3 percent of legal abortions took place between 21 weeks gestation and 24 weeks gestation.
Some for maternal health , more for fetal health since fetal abnormalies usually do not show up until the 18-20 gestational week ultrasound. That only gives the parents with input from the doctor and tests to decide if they want to terminate the pregnancy since viabily usually occurs between 22 and 24 weeks.

Less than 100 abortions occur after 24 weeks gestation.

They are the extreme cases.

There are only 3 clinics in all the USA ( and 4 clinic doctors ) who perform legal abortions after the age of viability ( between 22 to 24 weeks ) gestation and they are for the extreme cases. Cases where the fetus is not viable ( will be stillborn or is so malformed will only live a few minutes or hours). If a fetus dies or is dying within the womb , it can case a life threatening infection in the woman. Or if irreparable damage to a major bodily function ( such as stroke, heart attack, paralysis from the neck down , kidney damage etc. ) would occur if the pregnancy continued.

Doctors all of the US who patients had these extreme conditions would send there patients to one of these clinics.

In 2008 Kansas had one of the clinics for these extreme cases.
Kansas kept a record of all abortions at or after 22 weeks gestation.

There were 323 abortions for these extreme cases.

131 were because the fetus was not viable. ( was stillborns or so malformed it would live only a few minutes or hours).
The other 192 were because irreparable damage to a major bodily function would occur if the pregnancy continued.

They were extreme cases.

See page for Kansas stats for abortions at or after 22 weeks gestation.

http://www.kdheks.gov/hci/abortion_sum/08itop1.pdf

Canada is a model of what happens when pro-aborts get their way. Can you tell me what the number of weeks is in Canada?

Our tax dollars do not pay for abortions. If it is profitable they'll build the abortion mills.

Ah gezzzzzzzz gawd, please, now you are going to go back to the abortion mill argument. If you are against abortion, don't have one. Or don't have a relationship with anybody who would have an abortion. See how simple this is?

You pay way more tax money for toilet seats appropriated and paid for by Congress than any dollar spent for medically necessary abortions paid to medicaid recipients.

Your war on innocent lives is duly noted.

Oh brother... :roll: FK...this is sheer nonsense. There is no war on innocent lives, period.

To quote Lursa:

A "yet to be born" is only innocent because it cannot act or even form intent. That is the same 'innocence" as a rock or tomato...there is no choice.

Many religions believe that the baby is 'born into sin' and must spend the rest of it's life trying to achieve grace. Catholics esp.

So if it's no longer innocent the minute it's born, what is the point?

If you cannot preserve that innocence after birth, why not let it just return to Jesus in its innocence and take its chances with a new mommy next time?

But in *reality* that innocence means nothing, as it affects NOTHING in the womb. And it loses it the minute it's born. So again...no value....except to a family that is happily anticipating it."

Oh brother... :roll: FK...this is sheer nonsense. There is no war on innocent lives, period.

To quote Lursa:

Oh brother...:roll" RM...this is sheer nonsense. When talking about innocence we're talking about a live that has done nothing to deserve capital punishment.

Back
Top Bottom