• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

13-year-old arrested after telling Siri he was 'going to shoot up a school'

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...elling-siri-he-was-going-to-shoot-up-a-school

A 13-year-old boy was arrested in Indiana after telling Siri that he was "going to shoot up a school.”

The boy was charged with intimidation after posting a screenshot of the exchange with Apple’s virtual assistant on social media, according to Fox News.

The Valparaiso Police Department posted about the incident on their Facebook page on Thursday, saying they determined the threat was not credible.

Police when informed acted properly. Welcome to the new world coming. Tracking of where you go, say, text, email, post, well it is out there

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...elling-siri-he-was-going-to-shoot-up-a-school

Police when informed acted properly. Welcome to the new world coming. Tracking of where you go, say, text, email, post, well it is out there

Glad to see you say the police acted properly.
The kid took a screenshot of his siri exchange, posted it by using Apple’s virtual assistant on social media and that is what caused him to get reported.
The Stoneman Douglas FL. kid gave a threat similar to this, and the FBI ignored it.
Make up your mind, not you, the collective you. Either we investigate a threat or we don't investigate any.

The kid took a screenshot of his siri exchange, posted it by using Apple’s virtual assistant on social media and that is what caused him to get reported.
The Stoneman Douglas FL. kid gave a threat similar to this, and the FBI ignored it.
Make up your mind, not you, the collective you. Either we investigate a threat or we don't investigate any.

I am a strong supporter of Police. Those that abuse their power, get rid of them.

I don't know about this kid, but my question is...why are people intentionally installing listening devices in their homes? :doh

They literally hear everything you say if it is within their audio-reception range. We already know Google, Bing, and just about every other internet search engine is already tracking everything we look at online. Miscrosoft is also doing it when you use Cortana and Windows 10 upgrade.

Everyone who bought into the new handheld I-phones is also subject to this, with all the aps, video, and audio modes which can be activated remotely at any time. Not to mention the audio-video systems sold in new PC's which can also be remotely activated.

This kid played a prank, it was "caught" thanks to his own posting, and well...maybe we prevented a "school shooting." Then again, maybe not. Maybe this "prank" shows how dangerous such systems are when one surrenders their own right to privacy in exchange for a little extra "convenience."

Last edited:
I don't know about this kid, but my question is...why are people intentionally installing listening devices in their homes? :doh

They literally hear everything you say if it is within their audio-reception range. We already know Google, Bing, and just about every other internet search engine is already tracking everything we look at online. Miscrosoft is also doing it when you use Cortana and Windows 10 upgrade.

Everyone who bought into the new handheld I-phones is also subject to this, with all the aps, video, and audio modes which can be activated remotely at any time. Not to mention the audio-video systems sold in new PC's which can also be remotely activated.

This kid played a prank, it was "caught" thanks to his own posting, and well...maybe we prevented a "school shooting." Then again, maybe not. Maybe this "prank" shows how dangerous such systems are to one's right to privacy.

Do you use G Mail or have a smart phone?

This kid played a prank, it was "caught" thanks to his own posting, and well...maybe we prevented a "school shooting." Then again, maybe not. Maybe this "prank" shows how dangerous such systems are when one surrenders their own right to privacy for a little extra "convenience."

People are willing to give up privacy in exchange for convenience and fun.

People are willing to give up privacy in exchange for convenience and fun.
Yep. Technically you also lose privacy just by leaving your home. People can follow me and take video of me on the street but not at home. But i still choose to leave home obviously. When the risks for the average person outweight the rewards then they will start reconsidering new tecgnology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Do you use G Mail or have a smart phone?

I have Gmail because it is required for YouTube membership. I don't use it ever. I also don't post on YouTube, I just use it for music videos, and other views.

No I don't have a "smartphone." I still use an old flip-phone I got back in 2003 (or maybe 2004). Yes, it still "pings" the cell-towers to locate me, and I rarely carry it outside my home. But at least it doesn't have GPS tracking or any automatic application uploads.

It's been out there. The NSA collects every piece of electronic messaging there is and has been for years. I leave my phone in my living room at night. Yes the kid should have been scooped up and talked with to see what his story is. When a kid does something like this I would rather err on the side of caution than on the side of we can't do anything until he commits a crime. If you're gonna post stuff like that on the internet you should expect a visit from law enforcement.

He's only 13,hes just a baby.go light on him.Oh,he had a gun?Execute him.

Does investigation warrant an arrest?

Well that was a bit of a misleading title. It created the suggestion that after telling Siri that he wanted to shoot up a school, Siri called the authorities.

Well that was a bit of a misleading title. It created the suggestion that after telling Siri that he wanted to shoot up a school, Siri called the authorities.

Most of us have ventured beyond the misleading title of the article, after having read the article.

Kid needs mandatory therapy and community service in a hospital where there are gunshot victims...

Back
Top Bottom